Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Diesel > Bio-diesel, Propane & Alternative Diesel Engine Fuels
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

Welcome to Ford-Trucks Forums!
Welcome to Ford-Trucks.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Ford-Trucks Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 10-23-2007, 09:20 PM
Posting Guru

guthrie&co has a very good reputation on FTE.guthrie&co has a very good reputation on FTE.guthrie&co has a very good reputation on FTE.
I wanna know how bad the ultra low sulfur fuel really is

So here's the deal
I have heard from several people (but they have no credibility in the fuel world) that this new diesel fuel is really dry and causes the rubber to shrink in the engines ect. They say that this fuel is very dry and will eventually ruin our motors and never run a diesel without running an additive now. But when i ask them where they got this info is some story like...well this guy i know down at the diesel injection pump place says so b/c they have seen sooo many pumps come in from this and the seal are all bad.

On the other hand I think I read it here a long time ago but they story was told that the new fuel isn't bad and has the same properties as the old and that the new fuel has the additives put back into the fuel so that it's not so dry ect. I want to see hard facts about this fuel. I don't want any lameo story about your friends buddies dog's lover that happens to work for opec. I want something that i can read myself and see what makes up this fuel and we shall put this to rest one way or the other.
Old 10-24-2007, 05:18 PM
Postmaster

Fat Diesel is a name known to allFat Diesel is a name known to allFat Diesel is a name known to allFat Diesel is a name known to allFat Diesel is a name known to allFat Diesel is a name known to all
I'll go out on a limb and say that there isn't a single rubber component on my 99 7.3 that if it failed it would take the motor with it. I've had about 5-6 fuel leaks for various reasons over the years and most were rubber related (ie drain valve o rings).

I've even sprayed diesel on the downpipe without incident.

Sorry I don't know anything about the sulfer in diesel other than to say I've driven over 200,000 miles without using additives and have had one injector failure in that time frame.

Trucks runs great as always.
Early 99 F250 PSD 4x4 CC 6spd Common Mods 300,000+ Miles, No longer driven daily
1964 Falcon Convert 289 Toploader 9" 4 Wheel Disks
Nov '10 Recipient: "dedicated report-back tech thread poster" award!
Old 10-24-2007, 06:41 PM
Postmaster

Lead Head has a great reputation on FTE.Lead Head has a great reputation on FTE.Lead Head has a great reputation on FTE.Lead Head has a great reputation on FTE.Lead Head has a great reputation on FTE.Lead Head has a great reputation on FTE.
ULSD would probabbly an issue for injection pump diesels, but I doubt its very hard on HEUI and common rail systems
Old 10-24-2007, 07:20 PM
Postmaster

bigredtruckmi has a good reputation on FTE.bigredtruckmi has a good reputation on FTE.bigredtruckmi has a good reputation on FTE.
In the "older" engines which used 500ppm sulfur fuel then I definately would use a fuel additive as these was not designed for a 15ppm fuel and other lubricants (in today's fuel from the pump) which might protect you. I have several older engines and use B5 soyfuel and they run just like the high sulfur fuel. I ran out once and had to get some normal fuel. It didn't like it at all. Wound up dumping a lot of fuel additive into the fuel.
Old 10-25-2007, 08:46 AM
Senior User

Corey872 is starting off with a positive reputation.
If you believe the credibility of 'big oil' there is some information out there:

http://www.chevron.com/products/prod...sel/ulsd.shtml

Several paragraphs as well as other links dealing specifically with lubricity issues, rubber seal compatibility, etc.
Old 10-25-2007, 09:18 AM
Posting Guru

Phydeaux88 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.Phydeaux88 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
FYI if you run a BioDiesel blend, 5% will do it, your lubricity problems will be solved and no other additives needed.
Old 10-25-2007, 12:01 PM
Freshman User

navistar2000 is starting off with a positive reputation.
I am a bio-diesel newbie as well. How do you go about finding 5% biodiesel blended ULSD fuels?
Old 10-25-2007, 05:18 PM
Posting Guru

Phydeaux88 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.Phydeaux88 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
navistar where do you live and what engine in your truck?
Old 10-25-2007, 10:03 PM
Freshman User

navistar2000 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Hi Phydeaux88,
I am in NorthernNJ and it will be a 6.4 when it ever arrives. I just want to be well informed before in advance of taking delivery. I understand that maximum of 5% Bio-D is allowed with the 6.4's.

Cm
Old 10-29-2007, 09:21 AM
Posting Guru

B5 is all any manufacturer recommends for Diesel PUs.

To find Bio try the site below
http://www.biodiesel.org/buyingbiodi...lfuelingsites/

or
http://biodieselamerica.org/retailers

or
http://www.biodieselnow.com/forums/38/ShowForum.aspx

Last edited by Phydeaux88; 10-29-2007 at 10:03 AM.
Old 11-11-2007, 10:27 AM
Post Fiend

c00nhunterjoe has a very good reputation on FTE.c00nhunterjoe has a very good reputation on FTE.c00nhunterjoe has a very good reputation on FTE.
ulsd has the same lubricity as lsd and hsd, thats the reason it is more expensive, lsd and hsd used the sulfer to lubricate everything, when going to the ulsd they have to refine the fuel more and add synthetic lubricants to the fuel to replace the sulfer. your truck is safe, it will not blow up because of ulsd, all you will see is a slight drop in fuel economy and horsepower. the ulsd doesnt burn as hot as lsd and hsd
Old 11-18-2007, 02:41 PM
New User

Late For Supper is starting off with a positive reputation.
biodiesel

So who has experience running b-20 or greater in a 6.0.
Any problems?
Old 11-18-2007, 02:54 PM
Postmaster

bigredtruckmi has a good reputation on FTE.bigredtruckmi has a good reputation on FTE.bigredtruckmi has a good reputation on FTE.
Here is a post on this with names.
http://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/61...n-6-0-psd.html
Old 11-22-2007, 08:18 PM
Posting Guru

archangel is starting off with a positive reputation.
Funny, decades ago I remember that Mexican Crude oil was not wanted as the sulfer content was high, and they said sulfer was something they did not want in diesel fuel!

Now they say it's needed as a lubricant?

And how much sulfer is in BioDiesel?

I would guess none.

And if BioDiesel lubes better than DinoDiesel, then they should use BioDiesel as the aditive to help lubricate rather than Sulfer or other chemicals!
It had a verified 19 mpg city taking off slow as hell then shutting it down at red lights, and with the radiator grill blocked flush, no bed cover, "drag shoot" mirrors still on I got 24 mpg at 50 to 55 mph on the freeway empty!
Old 11-22-2007, 08:39 PM
Postmaster

The 100% biodiesel has no sulfur. The commercial bio is made mostly from soybeans. We have a plant here in Michigan which uses our soybeans.
Old 11-22-2007, 08:39 PM