gas tank leaking

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2002, 11:00 AM
bcsbadboys
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
gas tank leaking

[updated:LAST EDITED ON 11-Dec-02 AT 12:02 PM (EST)]Have a small leak somewhere on the rear tank of the dual tanks. It's on the engine side and I believe its on the top. Very, very small amounts of gas have dripped onto the spare tire, and eventually onto the garage floor. Two questions.

1. Can I fix this myself using some of that gas tank repair stuff that they have at local auto stores by removing the spare tire encasing and searching for the leak on the tank or is this reserved for a professional?

2. What problems would come from leaving it how it is? Is it imperative that it be fixed promptly to avoid any fire, or gasoline problems?

I need all of your expert suggestions on this one. Thanks Much.

Old 12-11-2002, 12:35 PM
Vampiro
Cargo Master
gas tank leaking

i had the same problem. drain the tank, then remove it. be careful not to break the sending unit or anyhting. disconnect all hoses. then heat up a rod or something that you can use to heat up, thus to melt soilder onto the tank. DO NOT USE A DIRECT FLAME LIKE A TORCH!!

afterwards use a undercoat to undercoat the gas tank to protect it from stone chips and road salt. this will prolong the life of the tank

Old 12-11-2002, 10:26 PM
steve83
Post Fiend
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
gas tank leaking

Sealing it from the outside only ensures that ALL the rust will stay in your fuel system, unless it makes it into the engine. You need to pull the tank, empty it, & dry it with a vacuum cleaner blowing into it for a couple of hours and a 75W drop light under it keeping it warm.

Then use a light & an inspection mirror to assess the damage. If it's minor, use a pour-in gas tank liner or have it brazed. If it's bad, replace the tank.

Old 12-12-2002, 12:14 PM
bcsbadboys
Junior User
gas tank leaking

Good information. I'm not as confident working with fuel and gasoline components. Is dropping the tank and sealing the hole something that an "intermediate" skilled do-it-yourselfer can accomplish?

Dropping a gas tank should be easy in theory but are there things that i may damage or have trouble with?

Old 12-12-2002, 12:28 PM
Vampiro
Cargo Master
gas tank leaking

i did it when i was 4 or 5 years ago when i knew nothing. my dad guided me through the steps and helped me out, mind you i was like 13 or so. i did it, almost all on my own. needed him to hold the tank up for me so i can reinstall the brakctes as it kept slipping off the jack stands

Old 12-14-2002, 01:00 PM
bcsbadboys
Junior User
gas tank leaking

Success. I've isolated the problem and can fix it without dropping the tanks or disconnecting the hoses. Tell me if I'm missing anything here.

Probably a pin hole size leak under the bracket of my rear tank. I have the tank nearly empty. I have 2 thick wood posts to brace the tank securely while I remove the bracket. Once that's off, I'll use the gas tank sealant kit I bought to plug the leak, then clean, sand and apply the fiberglass resin material.

Does this sound easy enough? Do I open the gas cap while doing this and do I need to relieve the fuel system pressure? Thanks for the help.

Old 12-14-2002, 03:32 PM
GammaDriver
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
gas tank leaking

[updated:LAST EDITED ON 14-Dec-02 AT 04:35 PM (EST)]Well, there isn't any "pressure" in the tank save for the fuel that is in there pushing down on the bottom of the tank due to its weight.

I know you don't want to do this, and you don't want to hear this, but I also have a 1993, and I had a similar problem.
Deduction: 1993 (and possibly others') rear metal gas tanks were, and are, crap!

(and they are a time-based deteriorating component, not mileage based... ours went at similar times even though I had 84,500 miles on mine when I changed it out)

My pinhole was near the top - are you planning on covering the whole tank while you're under there?

Do yourself a favor. Do yourself a BIG favor. Change the tank out for a new one. I'm going to predict that you are probably facing seeing many more pinholes within the next year or so.

While doing your changeout, replace the fuel pump, the fuel pump's screen, and the outer, if not the outer and inner, fuel-filler hoses.

Sorry, but I just had to get that out. I don't feel I would be helping you by writing for your plan, or by ignoring what seems obvious (based my the additional knowledge I have of another 1993 pinhole - that isn't to say it should have been obvious to you).

I wish you the best in your endeavor. If you don't address it now, just plan on finding a place, getting the tools, and buying the parts, to do it fully sometime soon.

Best,

Old 12-15-2002, 09:46 PM
wildjon300ci
Posting Guru
gas tank leaking

Old 12-16-2002, 10:23 AM
bcsbadboys
Junior User
gas tank leaking

I will take that into consideration. I think in the long-term that is the correct thing to do. I'm going to patch it for the time being and look into options and purchase the new one once I find the best solution to my problem.

Old 02-15-2003, 11:28 PM
Too Tall Tony
New User
gas tank leaking

Howdy

I have a small leak in my rear tank as well. I just noticed it a couple of days ago. I plan on changing the tank. It must have been leaking for some time. The spare tire was shot from the gas leaking on to it.

So if you had your tire under there, you should have a close look at it.

Tony

Old 02-15-2003, 11:33 PM
steve83
Post Fiend
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
gas tank leaking

If you're still looking for a replacement tank...

Old 02-16-2003, 12:07 AM
shotgun
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
gas tank leaking

Either way you go fix or replacing the tank.
Most people prefer to:

1. Remove the six bed bolts. (spray a few days prior with PB Blaster) Also spray metal strap bolts on fuel tank.

2. Unhook the fuel filler tubes.

3. Unhook tailight wires.

4. Remove tailgate to make bed lighter.

5. Have buddy help lift off bed for easy access to both tanks.

The fuel tank is now much easier to remove and reenstall. Unhook the sender wires prior to dropping the tank, as they aren't long enough with the tank on the ground.

Chris