Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Performance, Engines & Troubleshooting > Other Ford Engines > Flathead V8 & Flathead 6
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

Welcome to Ford-Trucks Forums!
Welcome to Ford-Trucks.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Ford-Trucks Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 10-23-2007, 06:37 AM
If you use it, SUPPORT IT

rcav8or is starting off with a positive reputation.
Taking Parts of a Flathead

Hi, all...

My '51 F2 Flathead was missing some parts, manifolds, cleaner, etc.

I am going down tomorrow to Kentucky to pick apart a flathead, with a rod through the pan. I can take everything I can get off the motor.

I will have about 6 hours get everything I can off the motor. I have never torn one down. The motor is still in the truck, and I will not be pulling it out. I need some suggestions...

What all should I take? I will take the obvious - head, genny, all the outside stuff I can get off, manifolds, distrbutor, etc.

Should I try to remove the valves/springs/lifters/etc? How hard can they be? I read up on how to remove them, and have the tools, but is it worth it? Whatever I don't need on mine, will be cataloged and stocked as spares.

I may be able to lift the block off the front mounts - should I take the pumps? Front cover? gears behind the cover?\

Any secrets to taking off the front pulleys?

Anything I've forgotten?

How long should it realistically take?

I really want to get all I can, as an opportunity like this doesn't present itself every day.

Thanks in advance, for any help/suggestions/hints/comments you can give me. As I said, I am leaving here at 4:00 am tomorrow morning, so time is of the essence...

R

Roger Phillips
Oxford, IN
Click the link for pictures of my truck:
1951 Ford F2

Old 10-23-2007, 06:37 AM

Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Performance, Engines & Troubleshooting > Other Ford Engines > Flathead V8 & Flathead 6

Tags
flat, ford, head, indiana, parts