1994.5 - 1997 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  

i have injector oring install questions

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2007, 08:07 PM
97 HD
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i have injector oring install questions

i went and got my injector orings today and paln to install them tommrow. the only thing about the install im concerned about is the whole hydrolock thing. since i am just removing the front injector on the drivers side can i just put the injector back in when i get the new rings on it then remove the glow plug on that cylinder and bump the engine over to remove the fuel/oil or do i have to do the whole remove lines and remove the plug on the back of the head drain procedure. also the guy where i bougt my orings from told me if the orings were bad enough to cause a cylinder to miss that the engine would also be using a ton of oil. he said like 8 quarts in a cross town trip. mine is about a quart low.he also told me if it is just a miss in one cylinder that the only two things it could be is engine damage or a bad injector.lol he said if i had the injector out of the truck he would test it for me (for a nice fee im shure) i think this guy is full of it and was hoping i would let them fix my truck. id say which shop it is but i dont wanna offend any possible competing sponsers. sorry bout the long post.

Old 10-22-2007, 08:12 PM
tjbeggs
Post Fiend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Just cause the o-ring leak means nothing other than its leaking. no bad injectors or mechanical issue. As for the hydrolocking. its best to drain/suck out the oil as much asyou can from the rail before pulling the injector. but that said you can just pull the injector. clean the cup then reinstall the injector. Pull the GP and crank the engine by hand with a ratchet on the crank or use a fan clutch tool on fan though it might not turn the engine over. Turn it over a few time by hand then crank with the starter. just be warned there will be a powerful stream coming out of there. Then once you reinstall the GP turn the engine by hand again at least 1 full turn and you will know if you still have oil in there.

Old 10-22-2007, 08:17 PM
c00nhunterjoe
Post Fiend
since you are only pulling one out just remove the oil galley plug that is where the icp would go if that head were reversed(i hope that made sense) jack the truck up and let it drain out. pop both galley plugs and blow air intot eh passage to elimiate most of the oil drain problem. once the injector is out and you clean the oil form the hole and get her back in, pop the gp out and crank it by hand (socket on the crank) tehn crank it with the key (disconnect the 4 vc harnesses) reinstall gp and vc and fire it up

Old 10-22-2007, 08:27 PM
97 HD
Elder User
thanks tj ive heard bad stuff about that shop but it was the best place at the time to get the parts. i actually know a guy locally for when yall cant fix my problems on here but his shop is an hour and a half away. i cant exatly just hop over and get parts but he just lives one street over and does a little work at his house but i dont think he keeps parts there just computer scans and stuff like that. yall are still free though. you gonna be on here tommrow between say 4pm and 7pm incase i need help while im in the process?

Old 10-22-2007, 09:48 PM
c00nhunterjoe
Post Fiend
i can take phone calls....wouldnt be the first time..lol. after 630 i will be at dads nite at school

Old 05-29-2008, 07:44 PM
iasrap
Senior User
So if I happened to hydrolock it, is there a nice easy fix, like waiting for it to drain? Or do I have to pull off the valve cover, and remove the glow plug?

Old 05-29-2008, 08:29 PM
FARM69
Postmaster
Wow, old thread.

I would imagine thats what you would have to iasrap. Since the cylinder cannot make it to TDC, you would have to release that pressure some how.

However, I'm not sure if there would be any damage done to valves or anything.

Iasrap, why do you think you've hydrolocked your engine?

Old 05-30-2008, 12:11 AM
97 HD
Elder User
You done some digging to find this one. Wow I sounded like an idiot then, its amazing how much I have learned since I've been here.

Old 05-30-2008, 06:49 AM
Neal 97 250
Post Fiend
Is it hydrolocked?

There was a post recently that show what a starter can do to a hydrolocked engine. The starter has enough power to bend connecting rods.

Old 05-30-2008, 08:00 AM
tjbeggs
Post Fiend

Originally Posted by 97 HD
Wow I sounded like an idiot then
Has anything changes since then?????

JOKING!!!