Escape & Escape Hybrid Ford Escape, Ford Escape Hybrid, Mercury Mariner, Mazda Tribute

Roaring/Growling when putting into Drive - not bearings

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2007, 04:49 PM
bfons
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Roaring/Growling when putting into Drive - not bearings

We were having the roaring issue so we took it to the shop. They said it was the front left wheel bearing (again). Instead of paying the unreal price of $400, I did the job myself. I ended up replacing the whole hub assembly and put it back together. I also replaced both struts while I was at it.

Now, the noise is even worse. My wife and I narrowed it down the simple fact of putting the car in Drive creates the noise. I had her drive past me many times and I can't hear any noise from the wheels or anything, the noise is heard in the cabin though. So, I decided to put it into 4x4 and backed out of the driveway. She REALLY made some noise now!. Also, it actually stopped at the bottom of the driveway and I didnt want to put more gas on it as I didnt want to break something. I put a bit but not much.

So, I'm wondering, is it the tranny, transaxle, transfer case, etc?

Any help would be appreciated.

Brian

Old 10-24-2007, 09:12 AM
NewEnglandHerdsman
Lead Driver

Received 38 Likes on 22 Posts
Need some more info about the noise...

Does the noise change in relation to engine speed? Vehicle speed? Neither?

When you say it happens just by putting it in drive, does that mean you get the noise without the vehicle moving at all? Are you sure it's not a loose heat sheild or exhaust?

Maybe sem like dumb questions, but w/o being able to hear the noise you got to ask...

Old 10-24-2007, 09:29 AM
bfons
New User
Unhappy

We placed the Escape on ramps last night so i can try to figure out where the sound is coming from. I ruled out the obvious items such as exhaust and such. I really think it's coming from the transfer case

Old 10-24-2007, 09:38 AM
NewEnglandHerdsman
Lead Driver

So you're saying it makes the noise when the vehicle is NOT in motion? Can't recall the exact way that's put together, but I don't think there should be anything moving/turning in the transfer case when the vehicle is stopped

Old 10-24-2007, 09:41 AM
bfons
New User
Sorry about that as I forgot to answer that question.

The vehicle does not have to be in motion. In fact, as soon as you place it into Drive, it starts. You can hold the brake and press the gas and she gets louder. She also gets louder driving it. What's kinda strange is it doesnt make much noise going in reverse.

Old 10-24-2007, 10:09 AM
NewEnglandHerdsman
Lead Driver

You got something weird going on there. You might try a mechanics stethoscope to further id where the sound is coming from. A little baffling to have a sound coming from a drive train component when the vehicle is not moving, it almost has to be something loose that is making noise due to vibration, unless there is something driven in there when the vehicle is stopped that I'm not aware of (and I'm no expert on the Escape tranny/transfer case)

Old 10-24-2007, 10:27 AM
bfons
New User
I hear ya.

I did use a mechanics stethoscope and was unable to pinpoint where it was coming from. I hate to say it but I may have to take it in :-(

Old 10-24-2007, 08:47 PM
bfons
New User
OK...it just got interesting.

I took the wheel hub off the passenger side since this is where I did most of the work. I only replaced the struts on the driver's side. Anyway, I take her off, place the car into drive and the axle turns. I read up on the different models as I have the 4X4. They offered a front wheel drive and a 4x4 in 2002. Aparently, it's essentialy a front wheel drive with the rears kicking in when going into 4 wheel. I had assumed it was a rear wheel drive. Geez...you think I would know the car better.

So, with the hub off, we still cannot hear any noise from the outside, only from the cabin. I took a pry bar and applied pressure on the exhaust, heat shield, etc to see if the growling from within the cabin would go away. No luck.

The only thing I can think of is the transaxle. I'm going to pull that axle tomorrow and see if the teeth are ok and such.

Any thoughts?

TIA,

Brian

Old 10-24-2007, 09:01 PM
NewEnglandHerdsman
Lead Driver

Yes, I'm not sure about now, but when we got our Escape it was the only SUV that was FWD when in 2WD and the rears engaged for 4WD.

But you got me baffled still. I'm still betting that it's some thing loose that vibrating - but what could be doing that that you'd only hear inside, I don't know. It'll be interesting to see what this turns out to be...

Old 10-24-2007, 09:06 PM
bfons
New User
Originally Posted by NewEnglandHerdsman
Yes, I'm not sure about now, but when we got our Escape it was the only SUV that was FWD when in 2WD and the rears engaged for 4WD.
OK, that jibes.

Did the front left wheel turn? I noticed the passenger side was the only one that turned.

Old 10-25-2007, 06:33 AM
DoctorCAD
Senior User
Open diff, only one will turn.

Old 10-28-2007, 01:41 PM
aquanaut20
Cargo Master
Received 71 Likes on 57 Posts
I don't know why you would be looking at the drive train after the transmission for the noise, if the vehicle is stationary those part are not moving.

Is the noise located at the front (input) of the transmission or back (output)?

Old 10-28-2007, 03:29 PM
bfons
New User
I'm thinking it has to be the transaxle now.

I pulled the axle out and quickly started the Escape and put her into drive just to be net with that growling again.

Noise is coming from the front.

Old 11-06-2007, 11:19 AM
bfons
New User
Thank for all your help guys!

The mystery is solved. It was the Tranny mount. The thing was broken.

DOH!

Old 11-06-2007, 11:26 AM
NewEnglandHerdsman
Lead Driver

Cool, glad it didn't turn out to be an expensive fix.

I didn't see how it could have been something internal if the vehicle made the noise when it wasn't in motion...

Quick Reply: Roaring/Growling when putting into Drive - not bearings