Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Small Chassis Trucks > Explorer, Sport Trac, Mountaineer & Aviator
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

Explorer, Sport Trac, Mountaineer & Aviator 1991-1994, 1995-2001, 2002-2005, 2006-2010 Ford Explorer

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 10-15-2007, 01:58 PM
New User
Garage is empty, add now

frankenherder is starting off with a positive reputation.
Poor Fuel Economy

I have a 2001 For Explorer 4x4 XLS.

I am getting 430KM off of 70 liters, so that is 270 miles off of 18 gallons. I used to get closer to 375 miles of of 18 gallons.

I have had the air filters cleaned, new O2 sensor, I run medium octane gas, synthetic oil and have not changed my driving patterns.

This is getting rediculous! Sometimes I feel like I have lots of power, other times it is very sluggish. I run injector cleaner every 4 fill ups.

Can anyone recommend something for me to look at or to get my mechanic to look at?

Thanks
Matt
Old 10-15-2007, 04:20 PM
Posting Guru
Garage is empty, add now

marragtop is starting off with a positive reputation.
Have you checked for codes? There may be codes stored even if CEL is out. Also, how many miles are on it? Maybe time for plugs/wires and fuel filter.
'95 Explorer XLT 4x4
If it don't = 16 (4x4), it ain't worth driving...
Old 10-15-2007, 06:04 PM
Former ******
Garage is empty, add now

Bear River has a very good reputation on FTE.Bear River has a very good reputation on FTE.Bear River has a very good reputation on FTE.Bear River has a very good reputation on FTE.
I agree, the plugs are wires have probably not been replaced in a while. Use only Motorcraft or Autolite plugs and wires.

You say you have had the air filters cleaner? Are you a cotton gauze type air filter? If that is the case, I would strongly consider that you may have a contaminated MAF sensor. Consider switching to a better air filter, such as Volant Powercore or AFE ProDry. They may not flow quite as well as a K&N, but they still flow more air than the engine can use.
Old 10-16-2007, 05:49 AM
New User
Garage is empty, add now

I am about 10000 miles away from my next service. Bare with me as I am converting from KM to miles but I had the 100,000KM service done at 120K and will do it again at 220K. that is plugs, transmission kit, coolant.

I will look into a better air filter, I am just using one provided by my mechanic, I beleive it is cotton based.

I also recently had my transmission rebuilt 100%. I lost 1st and 3rd, it is still under warranty but I am not sure if the transmission can affect the fuel economy.

I have 205,000 KM or 130k Miles on it.

Thanks for you input and please keep the suggestions coming....

Matt
Old 10-18-2007, 10:44 AM
New User
Garage is empty, add now

OK, now the truck is ideling high. When I first start it, it is around 750. I drive around and it will stay at 1500 rpm, even at a dead stop and put into park or neutral.

My mechanic thinks there may be a vacume leak. Has anyone had a similar experience?

Thanks
Matt
Old 10-19-2007, 06:47 AM
Senior User
Garage is empty, add now

scucci is starting off with a positive reputation.
Also could be a bad thermostat. Same symptoms happened to me a couple of months ago. temp gauge only showed a small increase in temp, but this put the expy into limp home mode and 1500 rpm idle after a short warm up..

Scucci
Old 10-19-2007, 07:00 AM
New User
Garage is empty, add now

thanks for the tip, I hope to hear from my mechanic today. He also said it may be a bad ground, I have not had any cables changed over the last 6 years so they are probably due......

Matt
Old 10-19-2007, 11:15 AM
New User
Garage is empty, add now

OK, I got a call from my mechainc, the engine is running hot at about 105-110. They are going to change the thermostat and perform the cooling system maintenance that I was due to get done in a few months.

I wonder if this would explain why my transmission went at the end of August all of a sudden??

Matt
Old 10-19-2007, 12:29 PM
Senior User
Garage is empty, add now

scucci is starting off with a positive reputation.
It is possible that the tranny was getting hot because of a failing t-stat. The tranny rebuilder would be able to confirm this.

Scucci
Old 10-22-2007, 12:20 PM
New User
Garage is empty, add now

New thermostat and a new front bearing assembly on one of my wheels and she is driving good as new. The bearing was a surprise but the drive is much better now!
Thanks for the tips everyone.

Matt
Old 10-22-2007, 12:20 PM

Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Small Chassis Trucks > Explorer, Sport Trac, Mountaineer & Aviator

Tags
01, 1991, 2001, 2009, 58, 92, economy, f150, ford, fuel, poor, sporttrac