Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Older, Classic & Antique Trucks > 1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Welcome to Ford-Trucks Forums!
Welcome to Ford-Trucks.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Ford-Trucks Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 10-13-2007, 11:16 PM
Postmaster

wmjoe1953 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.wmjoe1953 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Diesels in the 48-60 effies

Old subject, but hey, I think the previous threads got hijacked too many times. Where were we? Oh yeah, what would fit, and what won't. Relist some of your engine ideas. Here are a few ideas, that should fit in the stock engine bay. Remember, fabrication work will be required for the diesel swaps.

Cat- 1160, 3208, 3126 (measud one, and it should fit with the 4" recessed fire wall from mid-fifty, etc.)
Detroit- 4, 6, and some 8 cylinders
International- 7.3, 6.9, etc, etc. (Power Stroke too)
Cummins 4, 6 cyl. (not sure about the larger sized Cummins motors, but the 5.9 will)
Mercedes
Duramax (sorry, had to list it)
Of course, all the little Perkins, and Isuzu 4 bangers should fit no problem.

Hey guys, please don't hijack this thread this time. Let's please keep it down to info on current diesel installs, and other diesel engine information that could be used for future reference. There are still several members that are considering diesel swaps, and perhaps they'll find the info in this thread useful. Think about, your input could be the shove some one needed to join the darkside....
Old 10-13-2007, 11:56 PM
Postmaster

WALFORD'S 56 has a great reputation on FTE.WALFORD'S 56 has a great reputation on FTE.WALFORD'S 56 has a great reputation on FTE.WALFORD'S 56 has a great reputation on FTE.WALFORD'S 56 has a great reputation on FTE.
I am in limbo on my cummings swap. All that has been done is at a screatching hault....My buddy is out in California,and on a job and probably won't fit up the engine for a while. I will work on my F100 till then....good luck on your diesel endeavors!! Bill
Old 10-14-2007, 12:32 AM
I'll have the Roast Duck

havi is a name known to allhavi is a name known to allhavi is a name known to allhavi is a name known to allhavi is a name known to allhavi is a name known to all
Havi Ina Ford
The Cat diesel in the 30,000# forklift at work would be great in an old F6. I don't recall its size, though. It isn't too big.

Don't forget Subaru's diesels.
The rest are just average.
Old 10-14-2007, 02:30 AM
Postmaster

wmjoe1953 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.wmjoe1953 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Subaru had a diesel? Didn't know that. Like I said, there are a lot of members looking to do a diesel swap, keep the diesel ideas coming. Some of the engines I listed may be limited to the Big Jobs, but may fit the F-5/6 sized trucks. I think the P-Stroke would be ok in a 100-350 series. Most will require a fire wall replacement. I think the 4" recessed setup from Mid-Fifty maybe matched with their trans tunnel, would help accomodate most of the smaller diesel engines. I made a deeper fire wall on the 55 by grafting the rear roof corners into the center of the fire wall. The original "doghouse" (if you can call it that) was just too small for the CAT motor. Anyhow, most would also require a radiator upgrade, and probably will need a high CFM pusher fan in front of the radiator. I know it was brought up before, too, that the front frame rails should be reinforced, or replaced. The front suspension on a bigger truck should handle the weight, but would probably fail on a smaller one. Tranny options too. Auto for convenience, but manual to really enjoy the torque of the diesel. If you go manual, clutch linkage. I used the hydraulics off a 65 F-800 (same as the hydraulics on a smaller truck) Works fine, but had make a mount bracket, and clutch pedal.
Old 10-14-2007, 04:26 PM
Freshman User

deebee53 is starting off with a positive reputation.
TCI makes a universal clutch/brake pedal setup for thru-floor applications.

I have seen a 40 something Ford pickup with a 5.9L Cummins running a monster turbo and nitrous.
Old 10-14-2007, 06:57 PM
Elder User

F6Guy is starting off with a positive reputation.
There is a guy localy that bought a chevy advanced design with a Perkins diesel and allison trans hyjacked from an old combine. If it fit in the chevy I would asume it would fit in a ford too?
Old 10-14-2007, 08:43 PM
Senior User

AZAV8 is starting off with a positive reputation.
O.K. guys, here are the dimensions of a 7.3L Powerstroke. I had the opportunity to measure one on an engine stand at a local Ford dealer's parts department.
Length = 32 inches
= distance from front fan flange to back of exhaust manifold.
A = 3 inches
= distance from the back of the exhaust manifold forward to the bellhousing flange
Width = 30 inches
= across the heads, outside to outside of exhaust manifolds
Height = 33-3/4 inches
= distance from top of turbo to bottom of the oil pan

The exhaust manifold across the back leading to the turbo exhaust inlet extends over the top of the transmission bellhousing by 3 inches. That's the A dimension above. This is a rear sump oil pan. These are "eyeball" dimensions, and not exact since I only had a tape measure and no straight edge or level.

This makes this engine about the same physical size as a 460 big block Ford and therefore will fit in my 48 F1 engine compartment. If it fits there, it will fit in a F100. There appears to be enough space in the grille area to fit the radiator, an A/C condenser and an intercooler. There might need to be a little firewall massaging to fit the turbo exhaust downcomer. I don't know yet about cab floor mods to fit around the 4R100 automatic transmission.

Wiring for the computer control will take quite a bit of thought. I have bought a 2000 Excursion wiring diagram manual and that coupled with a Ron Francis Wiring Ford truck wiring kit and I'll be able to wire up this engine in my 48 F1.

This engine weighs 938 pounds dry, which, I'm told, is only about 150 pounds more that the 460. With the proper suspension upgrades and frame boxing the F1 frame should hold up well to the 7.3L Powerstroke's weight.

I hope this helps someone considering a Powerstroke diesel. I'm in the middle of my chassis mods before I mount the 7.3L and 4R100 in my F1. I'm using a Dodge Dakota IFS front suspension with a parallel leaf kit and a Currie 9 inch Ford in the rear.

I know, I know, when am I going to post some pictures. Alright, who has some more technical info on a diesel swap?

Phil
Old 10-15-2007, 12:18 AM
Postmaster

Good input. I got a chance to measure a 3126 CAT the other day, and I think, like I said earlier, that if a builder were to use the 4" recessed wall, and the aftermarket toeboard/ tranny tunnels, a diesel would fit quite nicely. The 4" deep firewall, would give enough clearance to accomodate most of the 5.9 sized 6's, and most of the V-8's as well (P-stroke, 7.3, 6.9, Duramax, etc.) Anyhow, the engine compartments are big enough to stuff a diesel, but to make it look right, they need to be moved back a bit (thus the reason for the 4" firewall). The CAT I have, fit in there good, but I wanted it closer to the firewall to look "factory," so I had to enlarge the cove in the firewall.
Old 10-16-2007, 01:56 AM
New User

olskool37 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Izzy 4 popper

Ive actually seen the Isuzu combo. A local gentleman threw a turbo version of that motor in his fully Jag'ed riding '53. I cant remember the tranny though. Has an interesting sound when it takes off down the road, and says he gets pretty decent milage to boot. If I ever catch him at another show Ill snap some pics and post'em up here.
Old 10-17-2007, 09:39 AM
Senior User

BTTT (back to the top)
Let's keep this thread going. With the price of oil up to almost $90/barrel, we are all going to want to drive diesels for the mileage and the fact that we can brew our own fuel in the garage from McDonalds used french fry oil.

Tell us what you know on how to install diesels in pickup trucks.

Phil
Old 10-17-2007, 09:40 PM
Diesel Junky

mechmagcn has a good reputation on FTE.mechmagcn has a good reputation on FTE.mechmagcn has a good reputation on FTE.
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZAV8
BTTT (back to the top)
Let's keep this thread going. With the price of oil up to almost $90/barrel, we are all going to want to drive diesels for the mileage and the fact that we can brew our own fuel in the garage from McDonalds used french fry oil.

Tell us what you know on how to install diesels in pickup trucks.

Phil
I've always been told that the Mercedes is one of the best for a veggie conversion, I just haven't tried it yet. On the installation, check out my gallery for a MB turbo 5 cyl. in a 53 F100. Maybe I'll get time to at least get it running this winter.

1953 F100 PU "Someday"

Lincoln Town Car front clip

5 cyl Mercedes turbo diesel/auto

It Runs! It Even Moves!
Old 10-17-2007, 11:35 PM
Postmaster

To keep this thread alive, we'll need to start gathering engine models, and dimensions. We could then use that info, and the info from mech's Mercedes swap, and info from my CAT venture, and hey, who's doing the cummins? I know someone in here is doing a cummins. F6guy, is it you that has a cummins swap in the works? Anyhow, we need to start getting models of available engines, and their dimensions, and transmission possibilities too. I have the 3126 CAT straight six measurements here some where, and can go the dims from the CAT 1160 in my 55.
Old 10-18-2007, 12:48 PM
Postmaster

WALFORD'S 56 has a great reputation on FTE.WALFORD'S 56 has a great reputation on FTE.WALFORD'S 56 has a great reputation on FTE.WALFORD'S 56 has a great reputation on FTE.WALFORD'S 56 has a great reputation on FTE.
I have a cummings swap --but in limbo ......Bill
Old 10-18-2007, 11:24 PM
Postmaster

That's good. Whatever technical data, or any problems or steps you have taken, will all be important information. If I can gather enough info, I will put it in the form of a rough tech article for other to view. I need everything we can get on this subject. If all you can add is the name of a diesel engine model, that is fine. If you have dimensions of the engine, that is great too. I deal with the 53-55 (56 is the same dimensionally, but I don't own a 56) trucks, so I can do engine bay measurements on that, and measurements on the CAT V-8. I have dims for the 3126, and can get the dims on a Detroit 8V71 that is at the local wrecking yard. It is in a 80's/90's L-truck, and might make a good donor frame for someone near the area looking to build a Big Job. I'll measure what I can and put it together, if you all can take measurements on what you have access to, get em to me. I need the engine bay measurements on a 48-52. Chassis width and frame height will also be important. I amy also use fame to axle distance.
Old 10-20-2007, 11:09 PM
Senior User

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmjoe1953
That's good. Whatever technical data, or any problems or steps you have taken, will all be important information. If I can gather enough info, I will put it in the form of a rough tech article for other to view. I need everything we can get on this subject. If all you can add is the name of a diesel engine model, that is fine. If you have dimensions of the engine, that is great too. I deal with the 53-55 (56 is the same dimensionally, but I don't own a 56) trucks, so I can do engine bay measurements on that, and measurements on the CAT V-8. I have dims for the 3126, and can get the dims on a Detroit 8V71 that is at the local wrecking yard. It is in a 80's/90's L-truck, and might make a good donor frame for someone near the area looking to build a Big Job. I'll measure what I can and put it together, if you all can take measurements on what you have access to, get em to me. I need the engine bay measurements on a 48-52. Chassis width and frame height will also be important. I amy also use fame to axle distance.
O. K., let's keep this thread going. Who else has the technical info we need for the swaps?

Phil
Old 10-20-2007, 11:09 PM