Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Diesel > 6.0L Power Stroke Diesel
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van SPONSORED BY:

Welcome to Ford-Trucks Forums!
Welcome to Ford-Trucks.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Ford-Trucks Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 10-13-2007, 10:06 AM
Senior User

dlpinkc is starting off with a positive reputation.
Do glow plugs go bad?

Recently it seemed to me that my glow plug light took longer to go out than it used to. Hadn't ever timed it, but just seemed to take more time.

Today I did time it. Took 9 seconds at 57 degrees with rain.

Is that about right?

Stock 2005 F250/6.0 with 31k miles

I'm not yet worried about it, just seems like a long time to me.
Thanks
dp
Old 10-13-2007, 10:38 AM
Posting Guru

raptor131 has a great reputation on FTE.raptor131 has a great reputation on FTE.raptor131 has a great reputation on FTE.raptor131 has a great reputation on FTE.raptor131 has a great reputation on FTE.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dlpinkc
Recently it seemed to me that my glow plug light took longer to go out than it used to. Hadn't ever timed it, but just seemed to take more time.

Today I did time it. Took 9 seconds at 57 degrees with rain.

Is that about right?

Stock 2005 F250/6.0 with 31k miles

I'm not yet worried about it, just seems like a long time to me.
Thanks
dp
the light to the best of my knowledge is only a timed light and does not indicate the length of the glow plug "run" time. the best way to know how long the glow plugs stay on for is to install a volt meter gauge. it will linger around 12v until the glow plugs kick off then the volt meter will climb to around 13.5 to 14v.

but to answer your topic, yes they do.
05' silver f-350 lariat 6.0 psd 4x4 crew cab drw, 4"inch turbo back exhaust, BPD oil cooler condenser mount, powermax turbo,dc power 190Amp OEM High Output Alternator , coolant filter, auto meter: boost, coolant temp, trans temp, egt, voltage. scan gauge II, Rds 91 gallon fuel tank toolbox combo, ready lift 2.5 leveling kit, blue spring mod.Fumuto oil drain, AE w/ford enhanced bundle.Air lift 5000 series rear air bags, SCT x4 powerflash with gearhead custom tunes Srl , 8k tow, unlimited tow. 2010 forest river Cherokee 35ft TT
Old 10-13-2007, 10:53 AM
Post Fiend

npccpartsman has a spectacular reputation.npccpartsman has a spectacular reputation.npccpartsman has a spectacular reputation.npccpartsman has a spectacular reputation.npccpartsman has a spectacular reputation.npccpartsman has a spectacular reputation.npccpartsman has a spectacular reputation.npccpartsman has a spectacular reputation.npccpartsman has a spectacular reputation.npccpartsman has a spectacular reputation.npccpartsman has a spectacular reputation.
I'm not sure how the glowplug timer is controlled, but mine is longer on colder days also. It's also been longer with the inductive heating flash, although I'm not sure that they're at all related.

Here's how to test a bank at a time: http://dan.prxy.org/Truck/6L_bible_h.../Page_068.html

and a little more about the system operation:
http://dan.prxy.org/Truck/6L_bible_h.../Page_066.html

The PCM will give a code for bad glow plugs according to this.

R.I.P. SteveBricks. A friend you always were and ever shall be.

Tim
Old 10-13-2007, 04:38 PM
Posting Guru

LvTitan is starting off with a positive reputation.
in short. glowplugs can and do go bad.

also, like was mentioned: the "wait to start" indicator light has nothing to do with how long the glow plugs are energized. they can stay energized up to 2 minutes AFTER the vehicle has been started.
Old 10-13-2007, 05:13 PM
Elder User

WishIhada7.3 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by npccpartsman
I'm not sure how the glowplug timer is controlled.
The Pcm will read temp of the coolant once the key is cycled then depending on the temp of the coolant decides how long to run the glow plugs...and if suspected bad the rail has to be removed and each pulled out of the head. then use a OHM Meter put red lead on the small threaded end and the other on the GP body..OHMS should read low showing little resistance.
Mods 4" Mbrp TB, Amsoil Bmk-11 By-pass,Intakelbow.com polished elbow,Napa #4019 coolant filter kit,Autometer Boost/Coolant Guage.
1990 Mustang LX 2.3L Turbo 400RWHP.
Old 10-14-2007, 07:54 AM
Postmaster

BowTieHatr has a very good reputation on FTE.BowTieHatr has a very good reputation on FTE.BowTieHatr has a very good reputation on FTE.
the gpcm reads oil temp not coolant temp.

Ford Senior Master Tech since '05
ASE Master Tech '04
6.0ing since '03.
6.4ing IF they tear up
Old 10-14-2007, 07:54 AM

Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Diesel > 6.0L Power Stroke Diesel

Tags
05, 2005, 60, bad, changing, f250, ford, glow, light, long, on, plug, plugs, powerstroke, small, stay