1994.5 - 1997 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  

Fuses?

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2007, 11:46 PM
kawa
Postmaster
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Fuses?

I was surfing another forum and ran across a reported electrical problem that I thought may be of interest. This was a report from possibly a GMC dealership employee that said that they were investigating two (2) wire loom fires.

They found that the fires were caused by flat style fuses that refused to blow. They determined that the fuses were "aftermarket" fuses from an assortment from "Harbor Freight" (Photo of H.F. assortment fuse box)

The fuse in question in one of the fires called for a 30 amp. This fuse not only refused to blow at 30 or 50 amps but would not blow when placed directly between the Neg & Pos posts of the battery. it just started to melt.

We all know that much of the products from this establishment is sub-standard while others are quite a bargin and work well for the price.

Maybe when it comes to puting anything electrical into our vehicles we should stay with the tried and proven brands. JMHO

Roger

Old 10-12-2007, 11:51 PM
kawa
Postmaster
CORRECTION:
It was not a 30 amp fuse it was a 15 Amp. They tried to blow six (6) of these fuses and they all failed to blow

Roger

Originally Posted by kawa
I was surfing another forum and ran across a reported electrical problem that I thought may be of interest. This was a report from possibly a GMC dealership employee that said that they were investigating two (2) wire loom fires.

They found that the fires were caused by flat style fuses that refused to blow. They determined that the fuses were "aftermarket" fuses from an assortment from "Harbor Freight" (Photo of H.F. assortment fuse box)

The fuse in question in one of the fires called for a 30 amp. This fuse not only refused to blow at 30 or 50 amps but would not blow when placed directly between the Neg & Pos posts of the battery. it just started to melt.

We all know that much of the products from this establishment is sub-standard while others are quite a bargin and work well for the price.

Maybe when it comes to puting anything electrical into our vehicles we should stay with the tried and proven brands. JMHO

Roger

Old 10-13-2007, 06:44 AM
MLCinNCTX
Senior User
Originally Posted by kawa
Roger
Roger, Harbor Freight issued a recall on these fuses several months ago. Since I bought mine over the internet I was a "known buyer" and they sent me a letter with an offer to refund the $4.99. Signs in the store for a while also.

Old 10-13-2007, 06:52 AM
Cuda_jim
Post Fiend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
That's scary, it's right up there with lead paint on your kids toys or antifreeze in toothpaste.
I, for one, will not knowingly purchase anything from China. I'll bet the fuses were made there too.

Old 10-13-2007, 07:02 AM
MLCinNCTX
Senior User
Originally Posted by Cuda_jim
That's scary, it's right up there with lead paint on your kids toys or antifreeze in toothpaste.
I, for one, will not knowingly purchase anything from China. I'll bet the fuses were made there too.
That is a good savings program cause if you don't buy products from China, you won't find much to buy. The result more money in the pocket.

Old 10-13-2007, 07:48 AM
tjbeggs
Post Fiend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
yikes! Fuses that don't blow! what is this world coming to! I hope they only burned down a few Chevy's!

Old 10-13-2007, 08:01 AM
Cuda_jim
Post Fiend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by MLCinNCTX
That is a good savings program cause if you don't buy products from China, you won't find much to buy. The result more money in the pocket.
Absolutely right! It's getting worse too. I've bought auto parts that said packaged in the USA or assembled in Mexico/Canada ect only to find the item was made in China after opening the package. What's up with that!

If there is a choice, I will NOT choose "Made in China", and there usually is a choice if you're willing to look (or pay for it). There is no 'bargain' on anything from there, you'll spend more in the long run. I have never bought anything from China that lasted very long or worked the way I thought it should.

We made this problem and we are the only ones that can fix it. Just say no to China.

OK, I'm done ranting

Old 10-13-2007, 01:43 PM
kawa
Postmaster
Originally Posted by MLCinNCTX
Roger, Harbor Freight issued a recall on these fuses several months ago. Since I bought mine over the internet I was a "known buyer" and they sent me a letter with an offer to refund the $4.99. Signs in the store for a while also.
That's great that HP owned up and contacted you. I just passed on this warning. There may be the guy out there that was not the original purchaser or a known buyer and may stumble onto the need for a fuse and come in contact one of these from a friend, a yard sale, etc.