edelbrock streetmaster 390

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2001, 08:44 AM
donsboy
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Can anyone tell me what the rpm range is on an edelbrock streetmaster single plane? i bought a 390 from my father in law that has one on it. should i take it off and use the performer i bought last year in my 65? he has some manner of crower cam but he doesnt remember the specs on it. he built the engine about 10 years ago and never started it. im pulling it apart and cleaning out all the surface rust and replacing the lifters and pushrods. i will check the bearings and replace them if they have any rust. i am going to clean it thoroughly and check the block for any oil system mods and make any necessary ones. thanks for any help you guys can offer.

Old 08-03-2001, 08:38 PM
proeliator
Post Fiend
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Well, I wouldn't replace it with a performer intake, I'm not impressed with them especially for a modified engine. An open plenum isn't the best on the street unless you have a really built-up engine, and its an even poorer choice on a heavy vehicle like a truck. If you are happy with its performance I wouldn't even bother though. If you really wanted to swap it out just be sure not to choke out that engine (sounds like its been built up at least a little)...I'm partial to the edel rpm intake myself.

If your knuckles ain't bleeding you did something wrong.

'72 F-250 "Hi-Boy" 4x4, Dana 60/HD44, FE428 @ 400+ ponies , 4-speed, custom suspension w lift, mud on black.

Old 08-04-2001, 03:04 PM
karljay
Cargo Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

This is a different open plenum intake, most are for high end, this is one of the few for low-mid range. Most performance people don't like it because it can't breath well above 4000. The range is idle to 4000 as stock, but Edelbrock published a pamplet about how to do mods to this intake for higher rpm breathing.

Basically, grind out the intrusions into the plenum under the carb base at each corner, then grind out the runners near the head back about 2" and match them to the heads.

This intake has a lot of material to grind at and I removed a bunch from mine. I smoothed out all the corners under the carb base but left the edge at the center of each corner for better runner seperation. I left large round edges on the top of each runner as it comes up to the carb and matched it to the 1" open spacer and then to the carb. I also blocked off the exhaust crossover to keep it cooler.

This intake can work well in a truck with some simple mods, but the Performer RPM is a better design. I have 5 different intakes for my 428, and the reason I'm using the ported streetmaster is that the Predator carb loves the open plenum design, and the streetmaster is one of two that are open plenum and small runner design for the FE.

Old 08-04-2001, 09:50 PM
proeliator
Post Fiend

Thats really good info Karl, thanks. I didn't even know there was an open-plenum design designed for the low end.

'72 F-250 "Hi-Boy" 4x4, Dana 60/HD44, FE428 @ 400+ ponies , 4-speed, custom suspension w lift, mud on black.

Old 08-05-2001, 11:30 AM
donsboy
Senior User

karl, my father in law built the engine to use in some 4x4 that he never bought. i need to get the balancer off so i can find out what crower cam is in the engine. once i find out i may be better served to use the performer package parts i bought last year when i bought the truck. I dont know any specs on the cam yet but once i get it all apart i will see if maybe you guys can help me decide what to do. he says it has 10:1 compression and
PI heads but the casting numbers are D2TT. I cant find those numbers in any of the books I have. I have more info home in Va but I'm in Alabama on a construction project so that limits me a whole lot. but thanks guys for letting me ramble. Don

Old 08-05-2001, 07:10 PM
proeliator
Post Fiend

Feel free to ramble Don. Sorry to say, but those D2 heads are the standard early 70s truck heads. With some work, they are actually a gread head, but no PI.

Old 08-06-2001, 03:10 AM
karljay
Cargo Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Glad to help. The those heads are supposed to have hardened exhaust seats and the same flow as the standard C8AE-H. A good head for truck use with some mild work. I'd grind out the humps in the exhaust roof and remove the air pipes in the exhaust if they have them. Smooth out the bowls and port match to intake and exhaust and you'll have some heads that work real well on a truck.

Also, if you ever take off the intake, I'd block off the exhaust crossover with some QuickSteel or JB Weld to keep the intake cooler.

I'm wondering what the cranking compression is on that 10:1 engine. I'm getting 210# from mine and was told it was probably 10.25:1 or so.

Crower makes some of the best cams, I'm running the Beast #16903 which is for agressive mid range in the 1200~3800 range.

Old 08-06-2001, 12:20 PM
donsboy
Senior User

I have to get a puller from somewhere so I can get the timing cover off and I can find the cam numbers so I know what Im dealing with. I dont have any idea what the cam specs are and my father in law doesnt remember. but i hope its a good match to that intake. i might wind up just swapping my performer cam and intake onto the engine and being done with it. the lifters had seized in a couple places and i cant see the cam down the lifter bores too well. i will probably have to hone the lifter bores a touch just to clean them up.

Old 08-06-2001, 07:19 PM
Ratsmoker
Post Fiend
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Old 04-16-2006, 12:02 PM
MIKEY411
New User
Info For My 390

Hello To All I Am Looking For Some Info For My 390
I Have A Some What Stock 390 With A Holly 670 On It
I Also Got A Edelbrock Streetmaster 390 Manafold
From A Frend For A Good Price But Will It Give Me More
Power And Torque ????????

Old 04-16-2006, 11:52 PM
fordraceboy
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
they just did a shootout between about 10 diferent intakes or so for the FE just a bit ago and the results are posted in this forum... do a search and you should find it... we were all a bit suprised as the streetmaster built mor power and torque acroos the board than the RPM...

Old 04-17-2006, 12:40 AM
"Beemer Nut"
Post Fiend
That intake shoot out started at 2,000 or 2,500 rpm's didn't it?
It would be nice if they posted results down to 1,500 rpm's. JMO's
.....=o&o>.....

Old 04-17-2006, 12:45 AM
"Beemer Nut"
Post Fiend
That intake shoot out started at 2,000 or 2,500 rpm's didn't it?
It would be nice if they posted results down to 1,500 rpm's. JMO's
.....=o&o>.....

Old 04-17-2006, 10:30 AM
fordraceboy
Posting Guru
yeah something like that.. the thread is called 'anyone following jays intake shootout?'....

Old 04-17-2006, 10:58 AM
FalconStng
Elder User
The suprising thing was that the streetmaster did so well, however the performer RPM was right there with it. The "intake shootout" basically verified for me that the RPM is one of the best intakes to go with these days for an FE. I do believe the Streetmaster is better than most thought....If I had a streetmaster then I'd use it...if I had to purchase one then I'd buy the RPM rather than hunt for a used streetmaster....jmho.

Tracy

Quick Reply: edelbrock streetmaster 390