Modular V10 (6.8l)  

"Harsh Ride"

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2007, 12:31 AM
RallyMedik
Bandaid dude

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
"Harsh Ride"

Ok, how the hell do you calm this truck down. I owned a 97' Chev Siverado 4x4 CCLB with a 6 inch lift...drove like a cadilac down the hiway...real smooth. Now I have a 2005 F350 CCLB 4x4 V10. I put a spring leveling kit, new Ranchos in the front added Toyo MT 35x12.5x18 tires, alignment and its so ruff on the hiway that my shoulder is killing be resting it on the armrest.

OK...I know I have a few issues...1st, toss those shocks...I was in a pinch and thats what was available at the time..What do you recommend..in reason.

The springs I put in had a larger diameter coil...good if you plan on carry a camper on your back, but to stiff for a gas rig..I think?? I was thinking of putting the stock springs back with the spacers. Does someone sell a progressive spring without havin to buy there kit?? How much heavier is the diesel verson of this truck.

I have tried messing with the tire pressures..and I think when I got it to 35psi it got worse. You can drive through the rough part...alot has to do with the wheelbase catching those rivits in the road...but my chev never did that.

I have messed with the caster/camber...little effect.

Changing over to the Toyo MT from the stock ones did make the ride a little softer.

I know adding weight will help..My chev did have a camper shell on it..I was thinking of that and maybe some sand bags..

It is NOT the death wobble I have. It is the up/down movement on the hiway which is worse at a certain speed but mellows out if you drive through it. but still rough.

OK, fire away..I need to do something..it is killing me.

Old 10-09-2007, 08:28 AM
Biggziff
Posting Guru
You only replaced 2 shocks? Although I never believed it, a suspension system is just that...a system. You need to realize that everything you do to any part of it will have an effect somewhere else. Replacing 2 out of 4 shocks isn't recommended and many here have reported poor performance when doing so. This is usually corrected by matching all 4 shocks.

Old 10-09-2007, 01:12 PM
RallyMedik
Bandaid dude

Yea, I hear ya..the only reason I replaced the front is because they were to short when I put the leveling kit on..I was reading on a few other threads that alot of folks have found the stock rear ones wore out and had the same symptoms..I am going to replace all the shocks and put a new steering stabalizer in it while Im at it...I'll let ya know how it goes. Thanks for taking the time do drop a note.

Old 10-09-2007, 01:23 PM
Biggziff
Posting Guru
Without sitting in your truck I can't tell what your issue feels like, but many of the people on here with similar sounding issues have found the dropping the tire pressure actually makes it worse. I found that with my issue, lower pressure made it a lot worse. I'm going to have my tires road force balanced this week, so we'll see if that helps. If nothing else, I'll be able to get that part out of the equation.

Old 10-09-2007, 01:29 PM
RallyMedik
Bandaid dude

It was the same feeling I used to get back in the day when I used to drive bob tail trucks when they were empty and had a long wheel base. the front end would bounce up/down violently at a certain speed while hitting those marks on the hiway.

Old 10-09-2007, 02:23 PM
meanv10
Elder User
What size chevy did you have 1/2 3/4 ton becasue going from a 1/2 ton to a 1 ton can make a big differance when it comes to ride quality. And did the 97 have IFS?

Old 10-09-2007, 02:36 PM
RallyMedik
Bandaid dude

I had a 1 ton..and yes it had the IFS. (A-arms with torsion I believe) Smoothest truck I've owned...went through pitman and idler arms every 10,000 miles though.

Old 10-09-2007, 11:31 PM
biz4two
Lead Driver
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Arrow

Rally --

What brand of level springs did you install? You say Rancho shocks, but which ones...RS5000, RS9000's etc.?

IMO...with the condition you mention about the front bouncing...that is directly related to shocks. The 5100 series shocks by Bilstein are some of the BEST on the market.

So...you could also go with the following DR system. You will LOVE your SD again...

Originally Posted by donahoeracing
2.5" Leveling System
2005-2007 F-250/F-350 4WD
Part# 6-2500
Link: http://www.donahoeracing.com/

Good luck...

biz

Old 10-10-2007, 12:46 AM
RallyMedik
Bandaid dude

I was looking at the bilsteins..I have a coil over setup on my R32 and love em..

The springs I bought are these ones

http://www.customsuspension.com/Gall...umName=album56

and the shocks I bought were the RS, which I think stand for "really suck"

The DR's are just overpriced...and I guess I am punishing myself for staying away from that company.

Old 10-10-2007, 01:23 AM
biz4two
Lead Driver
Arrow

Originally Posted by RallyMedik
I was looking at the bilsteins..I have a coil over setup on my R32 and love em..

The DR's are just overpriced...and I guess I am punishing myself for staying away from that company.
Good quality costs!...So YES...you are punishing yourself.

However, another question...you mention the Toyo MT tires. Did you also purchase new wheels (rims)? Because the best fit for those tires are a 10" rim.

The 35psi for a Load Range E tire is really NOT recommended. Maybe 50psi...but no lower...IMO.

Get the DR setup...as a lift system goes...You will be happy.

biz

Old 10-10-2007, 01:35 AM
RallyMedik
Bandaid dude

I havent bought rims yet..I was wondering what width to go with...what back spacing ?? Who has the best deal on the DR leveling kit?? Which shock is better..The DR or Bilstein 5100??

Last edited by RallyMedik; 10-10-2007 at 01:38 AM.
Old 10-10-2007, 10:25 PM
biz4two
Lead Driver
Arrow

According to Toyo the best width rim is 10". Back spacing? Don't know...sorry. Best cost for DR? Don't know that either...because it could change from one week to another. IMO...just Google DR sales and see what you find.

The (Bilstein) DR shock is properly tuned for there products, so if you go DR suspension then there shock works best. If you keep or go with a different setup for the lift, then the 5100 series would be your shock.

Hope this helps some...

biz