1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Paint hardener for rustoleum?

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2007, 06:12 PM
turnrjr
Laughing Gas

Received 65 Likes on 33 Posts
Paint hardener for rustoleum?

I'm using rustoleum satin black for my 54 frame and underside running gear . The finish is good . Not flat but not gloss either but durability is not good. Seems soft. Will a hardener work with this paint? Thank you.

Old 10-08-2007, 06:44 PM
bobj49f2
Hotshot
Received 2,059 Likes on 804 Posts
I use Valspar hardner for all the oil base paint I spray. It speeds drying and increases durability. I have used it with Valspar paint, which I like a lot more than Rustoleum, Rustoleum and custom matched paint I get from Sherwin Williams. It really speeds drying. I don't like Rustoleum because it dries so slow, even with the added hardener but at least with the Valspar hardener it dries in a day instead of two-three days.

I wouldn't use it with a paint that has it's own hardener, I would use the recommended product for that paint.

Last edited by bobj49f2; 10-08-2007 at 06:48 PM.
Old 10-08-2007, 08:20 PM
4tl8ford
Post Fiend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Uhh
Valspar-Rustoleum same/same company. Nobody would buy rustoleum interior wall paint shauw-la New Name.

Old 10-08-2007, 09:06 PM
WALFORD'S 56
Postmaster
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have had luck with ppg acyrylic enamel hardener in straight enamels and rustoleum and it dries faster with lacquer thinner--don't ask me how I know this,hahahah!!!!3:00 ON A SUNDAY NITE WILL MAKE YOU TRY ANYTHING,and sometimes they even work out!!!! Bill

Old 10-08-2007, 10:55 PM
bobj49f2
Hotshot
Originally Posted by WALFORD'S 56
I have had luck with ppg acyrylic enamel hardener in straight enamels and rustoleum and it dries faster with lacquer thinner--don't ask me how I know this,hahahah!!!!3:00 ON A SUNDAY NITE WILL MAKE YOU TRY ANYTHING,and sometimes they even work out!!!! Bill
Laquer thinner will help paint dry faster because it evaporates quickly and as it evaporates it takes some of the paint's binders with it. By doing this it will also dull the paint some. We used to use laquer thinner with acrylic enamels in the body shop I worked in on rush jobs. The thing you really have to watch out for is the product your painting over. If you sprayed the laquer thinner thinned paint over a paint that wasn't baked on, or had a binder stronger than laquer thinner, the paint will lift and then you'd have to strip down to bare metal. We only used liquer thinner thinned paint over finishes we hoped were factory finishes. Sometimes we got a surprise.

I find the Valspar hardener helps the paint dry just as fast and also keeps the shine.

One more very important thing I forgot to say in my first post, the Valspar hardener is like any other paint additive hardener, it is pretty nasty stuff and can seriously injure your lungs so make sure you use a respirator.

Last edited by bobj49f2; 10-08-2007 at 11:07 PM.
Old 10-09-2007, 08:35 AM
AXracer
Hotshot
Received 53 Likes on 34 Posts
Oil based enamels are very slow drying by nature, the paint cannot form a hard surface until all the heavy solvent has migrated thru or it will lift or peel, so enamels can take a week to a month to develop full hardness. Until then they can be soft and "tender" requiring careful handling.

Old 10-09-2007, 11:05 AM
60RatRod
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I was just looking through one of my Sherwin Williams training manuals and there is an addditive called Multi-Flex it's a urethane Flexible additive that can be added to wide variety of paint products including acrylic enamel. It's designed for plastic bumbers but works great on anything that see's a lot of road abuse such as frames. It makes the paint flexible which helps prevent chipping. I remeber painting a raquet ball in class one time and when it was dry the paint flexed with the ball. I was impressed. Sherwin William P/N V6-V299 if your interested. I painted my steel bumpers with acrlic and hardner and the chipped up after five years I don't think I would've had that problem if I used the flex agent.

Old 10-10-2007, 11:22 AM
turnrjr
Laughing Gas

Received 65 Likes on 33 Posts
Thanks very much guys. Your help is much appreciated.

Old 06-17-2013, 10:57 AM
RAY1986F150
Laughing Gas
Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts
I hate to drag this post out of the grave, but does anyone know where to buy the Valspar hardener? I couldn't find it at Lowes, which carries Valspar. Any other places y'all know of? Thanks

Old 06-17-2013, 11:42 AM
raytasch
Believe Nothing

Received 244 Likes on 153 Posts
Originally Posted by RAY1986F150
I hate to drag this post out of the grave, but does anyone know where to buy the Valspar hardener? I couldn't find it at Lowes, which carries Valspar. Any other places y'all know of? Thanks
There may be a local automotive paint shop in your area that carries it If not, go here. Be aware, the hardenrs for urethane and enamel are different and we don't know what you're using..
Amazon.com: Valspar 4625 Enamel Hardener - 8 oz.: Automotive Amazon.com: Valspar 4625 Enamel Hardener - 8 oz.: Automotive

Old 06-17-2013, 12:12 PM
RAY1986F150
Laughing Gas
Originally Posted by raytasch
There may be a local automotive paint shop in your area that carries it If not, go here. Be aware, the hardenrs for urethane and enamel are different and we don't know what you're using..
Amazon.com: Valspar 4625 Enamel Hardener - 8 oz.: Automotive
I saw that on Amazon but was wondering if there was local store I could pick it up at. Anyways, I have just read on another site that you really ought to have a supplied air respirator for spraying with this stuff. I don't know if I am going to use it now or not. I have my old 86 work truck I am spraying a custom blend of Rustoleum enamel, three parts royal blue one part black and 1/2 part aluminum. Mixed with mineral spirits. You know, the old $100 paint job. I am using a HVLP gun, with desiccant filters and building a plastic booth in the back yard to spray in. Nothing too fancy here. I've been doing body work here and there for a month or two getting it prepped. I have read that the Valspar hardener really helps the scratch resistance for the rustoleum. But I don't have any fancy respirators or supplied air systems to spray it with. I will have a standard niosh filter respirator for spraying the enamel.

Old 06-17-2013, 12:43 PM
AXracer
Hotshot
Received 53 Likes on 34 Posts
I got concerned as to the safety when Valspar will not let you download the MSDS for this product. Many of this type product is a serious health hazard if fumes are inhaled.

Old 06-17-2013, 01:24 PM
bobj49f2
Hotshot
I've been spraying paint with hardener added for years using a regular industrial filtered respirator. I don't do much, maybe 4-5 a year and haven't had any problems. I know I'm sensitive to the hardener, which is basically super glue, so I don't stay in area any longer than I have to but I have to get the work done.

The only time that I had problems was when I worked at my first body shop job. I helped my new boss paint a truck hood, we finished and he removed his.mask and I followed. He didn't have spray booth, we painted out in the open shop. By afternoon I could hardly breath. After that I never removed my respirator until I was outside and after the shop was aired out.

This how I do it and like.I said, I haven't any problems. Just because I do it doesn't I.promoting that anyone do it. Just telling what I do. I add Valspar hardener to all the paint I spray out of.my gun.

Old 06-17-2013, 02:07 PM
RAY1986F150
Laughing Gas
Thanks everyone for all the replies. I think I will do a little more research before I make any decisions.

Old 06-17-2013, 02:19 PM
CharlieLed
Lead Driver
Received 467 Likes on 303 Posts
I use Chassis Saver and have had very good luck with it. Works like POR15 but is not ultraviolet sensitive. Flows out great and dries rock hard overnight.
Paint Over Rust to Stop Rust Permanently With Chassis Saver Truck & Auto Underbody Coating

Quick Reply: Paint hardener for rustoleum?