Any idea's or books for 460 build?

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2007, 08:43 PM
78xltcrewcab
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Any idea's or books for 460 build?

I am getting ready to build a 460 for my truck. It already has a 460 in it but the oil pump just seized up so i am looking to rebuild it. I have the dove heads already on it with a stealth intake. looking to keep my intake and 750 carb. Maybe some mild head work. i have looked for books on build ups but the only ones i find are only on stock rebuilds.

Any sujestion on a book or just what type of build would be helpful. The truck is a 78 crew cab with 36" tires and a C6. It is mostly used for towing. I am wanting to get torque out of the motor. Somewhere around 500 ftlbs or more.

Thanks,
Nate

Old 10-08-2007, 08:41 AM
trinogt
Cargo Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
HP Books "How to Rebuild Ford V8 Engines" by Tom Munroe is a great resource. I used another HP book "How to Rebuild Your Big Block Ford" for the FE engines and it was fantastic. It ised quoted references from some famous builders.
I think the V8 book has Holman Moody info, Jack Roush, etc. I have a few of these books and they are a fantastic resource. Gives casting numbers too.

Old 10-08-2007, 01:56 PM
monsterbaby
Hotshot

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
only thing if you read Tom Monroes book disregard about 3/4s of it and anything about casting numbers completely he published a LOT of bad info in that book referencing casting numbers etc. But the basic building info in the book is good.

Old 10-08-2007, 08:26 PM
78xltcrewcab
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks for the book info. Do they cover the 515 i have been reading some about that?

Old 10-08-2007, 08:37 PM
monsterbaby
Hotshot

if your talking about the 514 no they don't. thats a stroker, easy to do though. 514 is 4.3" stroke standard bore. or you can get close with a 4.14" stroke at .080 overbore.

Old 10-09-2007, 09:29 AM
trinogt
Cargo Master
Originally Posted by monsterbaby
only thing if you read Tom Monroes book disregard about 3/4s of it and anything about casting numbers completely he published a LOT of bad info in that book referencing casting numbers etc. But the basic building info in the book is good.
Really? Are all the engine numbers inaccurate? I can't look at my book right now since it is in storage, but I thought a lot of it was good... Unless I was thinking about a different book I have on Ford engines. (The cover of the one I looked at online looks different from the one I have)
But the numbers I have taken from most of these books were spot-on and jived with other resources...
Of course, with the aftermarket, a lot has changed since these were published as fas as new heads, intakes, etc.

Old 10-09-2007, 10:42 AM
monsterbaby
Hotshot

Mark not all are bad but there is enough bad info on casting numbers etc I always tell people to ignore that part of the book because it leads to a lot of misconceptions. Most of those books do real good on the SBC stuff but make a ton of mistakes on the ford stuff especially the big block stuff.
An example of a misconception found in some of the books is that you need to find a D8TE or D7TE truck block because they are 4 bolt mains, wrong NON of the truck blocks were 4 bolt and those 2 casting numbers never existed in reference to he 385 series engines.

Old 10-09-2007, 07:36 PM
trinogt
Cargo Master
D7TE sounds like a 335 series 'M block' casting... Maybe the publisher mixed up the numbers between engine families, since the book deals with 4 different engine series?

Old 10-11-2007, 11:09 AM
mark a.
Lead Driver
Received 111 Likes on 97 Posts
I really like the Lunati #96 cam I put in mine, but it isn't stroked. I didn't use their lifters though. They are outsourced & of poor quality I was told, so I got a set of Reed's anti pump ups. Reed doesn't make them. Their either Federal or Johnsons reboxed. I gobbed it up real good with Isky Rev-Lube and put a bottle of Crane's additive in & didn't have any problem with break in.