1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Hats Off To You !!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2007, 10:50 AM
sparky
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
You mean there are people who will do all the work for you Do they give out the cookies?
Nothing better than building, adapting, modifying, cursing, redoing, etc. Sure you can have it built, or order it from a catalogue and bolt it in, but I enjoy making junkyard stuff work especially stuff that wasn't meant to be there..........I think it is a sickness

Old 10-07-2007, 11:14 AM
Randy Jack
Postmaster

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by rhopper
A wealthy guy I know says he spent all his adult life making money so he can pay the guys who spent their lifes acquiring skills to do it right. Good for him. Lots of shops make lots of money from guys like that.
I know exactly what you mean. I have become good friend to a fellow who owns a shop that does that kind of work. He builds some incredible rides. He and his crew do things that I wouldn't even think of. However, most of his clients are very involved in the builds. They know exactly what's in it, how it got there, what it took to do it and why it is cool. In fact. they typically chase their own parts rather than pay him to do it. Some of these builds run into hundreds of thousands of dollars by the time they are complete, which may take more than a year.

So, I still don't understand the guy that hasn't a clue what is in his ride or where it came from. That guy is the one AX talks about being an art collector, rather than artist. It just baffles me.

I agree, however, that if there weren't people who want to buy a finished car, we would never be able to sell ours if/when we want.

It takes all kinds. I can live with that.

Old 10-07-2007, 11:20 AM
havi
I'll have the Roast Duck
Received 45 Likes on 28 Posts
ditto that

Old 10-07-2007, 01:17 PM
imlowr2
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Ed, what your describing is rare. I attend carshows nearly everytime a show is happening. I've met several guys like you described, but rarely do they not know what paint it is, or what type engine it is, etc. It's common sense to ask, "What color paint are you spraying my truck with?" I find that most of the older gentlemen at shows usually have big money and can afford to have someone build their trucks for them, and build it the way they want it to be built. Some have health issues restricting themselves from building it themselves. They love the old trucks and love cruisin them. Someone who doesn't have a clue what was done on his truck, would make me a little suspicious? Maybe, it's not his truck?

Last edited by imlowr2; 10-07-2007 at 01:20 PM.
Old 10-07-2007, 02:16 PM
Quiff_boy_Elvis
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hmmm, this thread makes me feel rather uncomfortable.

Fair enough, I get the picture: guys like me are not in your gang. Point taken.

Still, I do like the trucks.

QbE.

Old 10-07-2007, 02:48 PM
gdgerland
Elder User
Quiff_boy_elvis, Our remarks are not to intended to exclude anyone. They are only one view of many and I hope I speak for all in saying that we respect all views. The only requirement is that you love the old trucks (ford trucks that is). I always enjoy hearing an different view on any subject. Hang in there and you will see a post that you will agree with completely. There are a lot of different folks here with different ideas.

Gil

Old 10-07-2007, 02:52 PM
havi
I'll have the Roast Duck
Received 45 Likes on 28 Posts
Right, Ford Truck Enthusiasts, is what this site is: Enthusiasts of Ford trucks. In all ways, shapes, forms, etc...

Old 10-07-2007, 03:03 PM
3Mike6
Postmaster
Honestly, if I could afford to have someone do all the labor on my projects, I'd kick back and play more golf

Old 10-07-2007, 04:01 PM
mechmagcn
Logistics Pro
Received 46 Likes on 32 Posts
Originally Posted by 3Mike6
Honestly, if I could afford to have someone do all the labor on my projects, I'd kick back and play more golf
If I had the money to pay someone to do it, that means I could neglect work somewhat and do it myself. Right now I just don't have the time.

Old 10-07-2007, 05:36 PM
4tl8ford
Post Fiend
The thing I drive as transportation, a 1997 Ford Explorer XL, it's just that, Transportation. I take it to my Mechanic for service and repair if my Wife isn't around to do it. I don't understand anything about the modern vehicles nor do I intend to.

The thing I work on, a 1948 Ford Panel Truck is my Passion, right now only some of the engine work will be farmed out, The rest I intend to do myself. (Right now and intend are terms I use to mean if my physical condition allows me to.)

I would love to have a 1937 Bugatti, IF I ever get the money I will buy one and have it restored if it isn't already.

There is another vehicle that is now in reploduction, you can buy the parts and put it together or you can buy it turn key. Again if I had the money I would choose the turn key.

I also have several other Passion Projects in the works. The are in the nobody but me catagory.

coulda-woulda-shoulda

Old 10-07-2007, 07:35 PM
e william
Elder User
Please, Just so everyone knows...I was in NO WAY throwing rocks at anyone. Just trying to pay a compliment.
If I had more budget money I could shop some things out as well, just to speed projects along...but I love to say "I did that".
I told my wife that if I were to win the lottery I would build a shop bigger than the house, have a couple of "Nasty Cool" turn-key rides but still have several projects to play with.
My shop time is theraputic. All other troubles in life (work, home) seem to fade away for a while when I shut that shop door and I get into my projects.
So let me change what I stated a little...
Hats off to anyone who loves the older vehicles enough to build them, have them built, name them and tuck them in safely at night!
Ed

Old 10-07-2007, 07:39 PM
RUSTY50F1
Posting Guru
I have to scrap and scrimp to build my 50f1. So far I have done every thing that has been done. And I know every bolt and nut on it personally. And many have my blood on them to prove it. I enjoy working on my truck.(even throwing things sometime) But when it starts for the first time.(If and when) I can say that I did it. If someone ask me a Q about it I can tell them. I love going out in the garage and seeing what I've done ( some things more than once before they got done) and thinking about what has to done be done. It gets my mind off the daily pressures of life in general.

Old 10-07-2007, 07:58 PM
B/B ford
Clean & Classy

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
I thinbk some of you are hippocritical. Don,t get mad, let me explain. I have read countless complaints on here about a previous owners outlandish mistakes,and how much work you had to do to correct it. But now you are praising the do it your self types even if they don,t know what they are doing.

I am one that knows my limitations and I appreciate the others that do also. I do what I can, and I don,t do what I can,t. I save up to pay someone to do it or I beg a friend to help, or I barter to get it done right.

I just wanted to express my point of view, and I love you all.

I also appreciate all the Great craftsmen on here that lend their expertise.

Old 10-07-2007, 07:59 PM
gdgerland
Elder User
Well stated, Ed!!!!!

Old 10-07-2007, 08:35 PM
xfordman
Elder User
Once, I built a hot rod completly myself except for the paint. A friend who paints for a living did that. Everybody asked if I painted it, and it killed me to say no. After a few nicks and scratches (excuse) I sanded it down and painted it myself. Nobody ever commented on the paint after that, but I didn't have to say, 'no' I didn't do it! My wife thinks I'm hard headed.

Quick Reply: Hats Off To You !!!