Sponsored by: DP Tuner

AB or AD injectors... need help with id them

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2007, 06:16 PM
powerstrokinsmokin
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
AB or AD injectors... need help with id them

I have a 99.5 f-350, just wondering if i have AB or AD injectors. How do i tell the difference and which is better? I'm thinking about an inj upgrade but truck has 183xxx miles. no injector work ever been done that i know of to the ole sticks

Old 10-06-2007, 06:22 PM
PETE'S_6.0PSD
Postmaster
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
you have AD injectors, and if you want to make sure you can pull the VC off and look, it will say on the top of them, AB was used in older trucks, AD in newer, so they flow more fuel than AB, you want to stick with AD , but if you going to upgrade go with it,
but remember to take advantage i of larger injectors you going to have to have Jody reprogram the chip, if they not failing why replace?. but its always a chance they might,

Old 10-06-2007, 06:27 PM
Kwikkordead
Fleet Owner
Received 789 Likes on 601 Posts
If you have a 99.5 you have the AD's IIRC.
I have an idea: try removing the oil filler tower from the valve cover and see if you cannot see inside. The tower is attached gas cap style with an o-ring seal at the base. Rotate the whole assembly counter clock wise ( I think ) and it will detach.
It may or may not enable you to see inside, so it's just an idea to try.
With that said, what difference does it make what you have installed?
Since you are considering upgrades, what you really need to do is plan what you are going to put in and go from there.
Want to change over to single shots? I wish that I had when I did mine, but then you have to get get your chip reflashed to drive them because the stock split shot programming doesn't work with singles.

Old 10-06-2007, 06:36 PM
powerstrokinsmokin
Senior User
so what will i need if i go with single shot and what kinda power increase are we looking at?

What other options do i have with split shot injs??

Can Jody reprogram the chip for singles?

What gives you the most bang for the dollar withoout having to upgrade hpop, fuel system, etc.

Sorry bout a the questions but you guys are so dang knowledgable.

Old 10-06-2007, 07:06 PM
PETE'S_6.0PSD
Postmaster
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
well without upgrading the HPOP you have to go with single shot inj, and they have to be Hybrid ones too, so you dont ran out of oil,
what size depending on you budget, and you future mods

Old 10-06-2007, 07:33 PM
Kwikkordead
Fleet Owner
Received 789 Likes on 601 Posts
Originally Posted by powerstrokinsmokin
so what will i need if i go with single shot and what kinda power increase are we looking at?

What other options do i have with split shot injs??

Can Jody reprogram the chip for singles?

What gives you the most bang for the dollar withoout having to upgrade hpop, fuel system, etc.

Sorry bout a the questions but you guys are so dang knowledgable.
I recommend that you call Jody and have a discussion with him.
Plan out what you want to end up with and set that goal.
Without going into a very long explanation, you have to decide what you want out of your engine before you do anything at all. Think of it like an orchestra. No one single instrument is the sound, but all of them together make the music. One musician out of time, or off key will produce an awful sound, but when everything is right it's perfect.
Engine design is the same way. You have to look at the whole thing and how it works together and then decide what you want.
Big injectors? Then you need big oil to drive them and a bigger fuel pump to feed them.
Oh, then you need a bigger turbo so that it can breath without driving the EGT through the roof.
See what I mean?
Don't look at a few trees, back off and look at the whole forest.
You'll get the most bang for the buck that way.

Old 10-06-2007, 09:09 PM
cangim
Postmaster
Originally Posted by Kwikkordead
I recommend that you call Jody and have a discussion with him.
Plan out what you want to end up with and set that goal.
Without going into a very long explanation, you have to decide what you want out of your engine before you do anything at all. Think of it like an orchestra. No one single instrument is the sound, but all of them together make the music. One musician out of time, or off key will produce an awful sound, but when everything is right it's perfect.
Engine design is the same way. You have to look at the whole thing and how it works together and then decide what you want.
Big injectors? Then you need big oil to drive them and a bigger fuel pump to feed them.
Oh, then you need a bigger turbo so that it can breath without driving the EGT through the roof.
See what I mean?
Don't look at a few trees, back off and look at the whole forest.
You'll get the most bang for the buck that way.
Now that is a great analogy

Old 10-06-2007, 09:13 PM
PowerstrokeJunkie
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Well www.dpppower.com has awesomely priced ($625) single shot, stage one remanufactured injectors, that flow 160cc, about 30-40cc more than stock, use LESS oil volume than stock, so you will run a higher injection pressure, and gain about 40hp without changing anything except the tuning. You can't even buy remanned STOCK injectors for that price some places!

Old 10-07-2007, 01:51 PM
powerstrokinsmokin
Senior User
well guys thanks for your input. i really apperciate all the help you have givin me. I think i'll look at the inj at dpppower also i do want to upgrade to big oil and the fuel system but still confused on what i need and how much will i spend to get eveything i need. i didnt realize it could get so confusing.

Old 10-07-2007, 03:16 PM
PowerstrokeJunkie
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Do the fuel system first, (www.itpdiesel.com), then the injectors/tuning, and then if you still feel the need, big oil. Those injectors i suggested use LESS oil volume than a stock injector. Therefore it's easier to keep up the pressure due to less oil volume.