Lightning, Harley-Davidson F-150, Roush F-150 & Saleen F-150 SVT Ford F150 Lightning, Roush, Saleen and other performance F150's

Oxygen Sensor Locations

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2007, 08:55 PM
Mean Gene55
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lightbulb Oxygen Sensor Locations

Guys - I'm new here but I'm posting to help my son whose Roush F-150 is throwing codes ( SES ) & is showing obvious signs of oxygen sensor failure ( idles rough; poor mileage & strong gasoline smell ). I've used the "search" feature & have figured out that the truck has a total of 4 ( 2 upstream of the cats & 2 downstream ) & it takes a 7/8" wrench ( or custom deep socket - of which I have a set ). My son says he can only see 2 ( I'd assume those would be the post-cat ones ) so where R the other 2? Kinda guessing that they're probably hidden away on each side of the exhaust & more than likely more accessable through the wheelwells. Am I close? I live almost 75 miles away so I'd like to have a clear game plan ( can ya have those with children?? LOL!! ) before I drive over. Thanks!!

Mean Gene

Old 09-23-2007, 10:52 PM
Stewart_H
Super Moderator
Received 86 Likes on 79 Posts
If it's anything like my other Ford products ('90 5.0, '94 F150, '99 Lightning) then he needs to look way up to where the headers meet the midpipes. Right there at the top of the midpipes will be the first set of 02 sensors.

Have him run the self diagnostic and find out what codes he throwing and post them up here.

Also, what year is his F150?

Stewart

Old 09-23-2007, 11:03 PM
Stewart_H
Super Moderator
Just in case you're not sure how to check for DTC's (Diagnostic Trouble Codes) here's the procedure:

After you get in your truck, before you turn the key on, press and hold the trip reset button.

Once you turn the key to the ON position, the lights on the odeometer read-out will light up and change. Let go of the button.

Press the reset button and scroll through the menu. If you press and hold it too long it will clear and reset back to the mileage readout.

Scroll through until you find the menu that says DTC.

If you have a code, it will say DTC2145 or something. Or it will show DTC NONE for no codes.

Stewart

Old 09-24-2007, 09:13 AM
Mean Gene55
New User
Smile Read My Mind!!

Stewart - I was just about to repost & ask how to do the self diagnostics - THANKS!! Forgive my ignorance but I'm just here to help my son as I'm from the "dark side" & have a ProCharged 2000 C5 - GASP!! BTW - his Roush is a 2000 also but at least our rydes are both black!!
I figure it's probably one of the pre-cat sensors but we'll run the self-test & I'll probably be back here in a bit. Thanks for helping, Stewart!!

Gene

Last edited by IB Tim; 09-24-2007 at 09:37 AM.
Old 09-24-2007, 11:36 AM
Stewart_H
Super Moderator
Originally Posted by Mean Gene55
Stewart - I was just about to repost & ask how to do the self diagnostics - THANKS!!
You're welcome!

Forgive my ignorance but I'm just here to help my son as I'm from the "dark side" & have a ProCharged 2000 C5 - GASP!!
No worries! I've learned that when young men want to grow up, they stop wearing bow ties!

BTW, that C5 of yours must be a nice little monster. Do you have any vids of it at the track? Post up the link.

Stewart

Old 09-24-2007, 02:10 PM
Mean Gene55
New User
Talking Ha-ha!!

No worries! I've learned that when young men want to grow up, they stop wearing bow ties!

Touche'!!

Stewart & others - I've found that in my 30+ years of modding that these Forums R, for the most part, full of very helpful people ( such as yourself ) who give good advice regardless of the choice of marquee'. My first cars were a '69 Hemi 'Cuda then a '72 Z-28 then after college I bought a Mustang GT!! Shame on me, huh!!??
My 383'ed F1-R 'charged C5 is at Thunder Racing right now getting some more "toys" installed but I hope to have it ready for the 12/8 taping of Pinks - All Out which will be at No Problem Raceway. I'm looking for 750 rwhp @ 14# of boost & if I think the heads can take it, I'll crank up to 17# which should give me 830 rwhp or so. My son ( Jeff ) is gonna be w/me so I'll have him shoot some video but I'm not sure how many runs they'll let me make since anything under an 11.5 et requires a roll cage & I don't plan on installing on. Everyone on Corvette Forums.com who's running 700+ rwhp is in the low 10's @ 138+ mph ( on drag radials or MT's ) so if I get down that low then they'll probably keep me on the sidelines until I get a cage.
Jeff & I will attack his Roush truck tonight & we'd like to make some runs on test & tune night just to see what his will done ( bone stock ). Any guesses??
Thanks again for the help w/the O2 sensors!!

Gene & Jeff

Old 09-24-2007, 03:21 PM
Stewart_H
Super Moderator
Yep, I was right...I knew ya had a monster!

I don't know much about those Roush trucks. I didn't even know they made one in 2000. I thought the Roush trucks didn't come out until the 3V F150's were being made. Are ya sure it's a 2000?

What stage performance package does it have?

Stewart

Old 09-24-2007, 03:27 PM
Mean Gene55
New User
Red face Not Sure!

Stewart - No, I'm just repeating what Jeff said it was & he's not the gearhead of the family. That'd be ME!! It DOES run strong but I'll look into it tonight when we work on it. Any special styling clues I need to look for which would help me determine the year? He bought it used so I hope the owner's manual is still there. R U getting the feeling that it's a rebadged "regular" F-150?
It wouldn't surprise me because he's NOT the best car shopper in the world.
BTW - my C5 is a daily driver ( if the weather's nice - it's hard enough to get traction in the dry, much less in the rain ). Heck - YOU use a Lightning for a WORK truck??!! Talk about a fun drive to work!!

Gene

Last edited by Mean Gene55; 09-24-2007 at 03:29 PM. Reason: Add info
Old 09-24-2007, 03:39 PM
Stewart_H
Super Moderator
. Heck - YOU use a Lightning for a WORK truck??!! Talk about a fun drive to work!!

Gene
This is my baby on a light day.

Here she is autocrossing...

And warming the tires at Infineon Raceway...

As for your son's truck, I'm gonna give Ken Payne (the webmaster) a heads up on this thread. He has a Roush truck and he'd be able to better answer your questions.

Stewart

Last edited by S_Harvey; 09-24-2007 at 03:42 PM.
Old 09-24-2007, 05:02 PM
Mean Gene55
New User
Thumbs up Awesome!!

Stewart - That's quite a multi-purpose vehicle ya have there!! Drag racing, auto crossing & hauling ( other than a**!! ) is a neat trifecta.
Couldn't quite make out all of your personalized plate, though. What's before "ASSN"??

Gene

Old 09-24-2007, 10:16 PM
Stewart_H
Super Moderator
Couldn't quite make out all of your personalized plate, though. What's before "ASSN"??

Gene
HSPASSN = His Passion.

His, being God. Passion, being His love for us, but in this case, me specifically since He was the one who dropped this truck into my lap, right in my price range, when I was looking for a newer work truck to replace my '94 F150.

What's amazing is the Lightning was priced waaaaayyyyyyy out of my range, and I wasn't really looking at it. I was hoping for a 2000 or 2001 XLT extended cab.

Being a Chrsitian, I wanted to honor God. So I got the personalized plates.

Check out my plate frame...

Stewart

Last edited by S_Harvey; 09-24-2007 at 10:18 PM.
Old 09-24-2007, 10:28 PM
Mean Gene55
New User
Thumbs up Nice!!

Stewart - Nice tribute to His love & glory!! I'm an active member in Promise Keepers & if I'd seen the words beneath ( smoking or non-smoking? ) I think I'd have picked up on it.
Kinda cool but at my home church our associate pastor ( also named Gene )drives a '99 Corvette & w/my vanity plate of MN GENE some of the visitors think that stands for "Minister Gene"!! Then they think we pay our pastor staff WAY too much!!!!
Didn't work on Jeff's truck tonight so it'll be another week because I have to go back to work tomorrow ( I'm an engi-nerd for Shell - "evil" oil company!! ) but he may try to change them himself ( Heaven help us! ).

In His grip!
Gene

Old 09-25-2007, 02:33 AM
Stewart_H
Super Moderator
Stewart - Nice tribute to His love & glory!!
Thanks.

When the wife and I prayed about buying a newer truck, and then sat down and budgeted for it, we quickly realized we could only afford a truck priced between 16K and 16.5K

The Lightning was priced at $21,900. Nowhere near the $16,500 max our budget limited me to.

When the General Manager saw me eyeballing the truck, he told me to make an offer. I laughed and told him he couldn't afford to sell it to me for what I could afford, and besides, I wasn't in the market for a Lightning (even though I've always wanted one) but rather, just wanted a newer work truck.

He persisted, so I gave him the term I wanted (60 month) with the monthly payment I'd pay. Knowing my credit score, I knew within a few fractions what my interest rate would be, and he even said he'd be able to get me something around the high 4's.

When he came back and said he couldn't get me the percentage he first stated (the truck needed to be one year newer to qualify for the lower rate), it pretty much confirmed what I already knew, and the truck would be staying on their lot.

So his next statement surprised me.

After he said he couldn't get the interest rate he promised (I had to settle for 5.9%), he said to meet my monthly payment, they had to lower the price of the truck.

I asked what he lowered the price too.

He said $16,500.

I couldn't sign the paperwork fast enough!

Stewart

Old 09-25-2007, 04:50 PM
V10_Cougar
Elder User
Originally Posted by S_Harvey
Thanks.

When the wife and I prayed about buying a newer truck, and then sat down and budgeted for it, we quickly realized we could only afford a truck priced between 16K and 16.5K

The Lightning was priced at $21,900. Nowhere near the $16,500 max our budget limited me to.

When the General Manager saw me eyeballing the truck, he told me to make an offer. I laughed and told him he couldn't afford to sell it to me for what I could afford, and besides, I wasn't in the market for a Lightning (even though I've always wanted one) but rather, just wanted a newer work truck.

He persisted, so I gave him the term I wanted (60 month) with the monthly payment I'd pay. Knowing my credit score, I knew within a few fractions what my interest rate would be, and he even said he'd be able to get me something around the high 4's.

When he came back and said he couldn't get me the percentage he first stated (the truck needed to be one year newer to qualify for the lower rate), it pretty much confirmed what I already knew, and the truck would be staying on their lot.

So his next statement surprised me.

After he said he couldn't get the interest rate he promised (I had to settle for 5.9%), he said to meet my monthly payment, they had to lower the price of the truck.

I asked what he lowered the price too.

He said $16,500.

I couldn't sign the paperwork fast enough!

Stewart
You got a great Deal, wow. God Bless You!!!!

Old 09-25-2007, 11:15 PM
Matts72
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
You can usually see the upper oxygen sensors if you open the hood and look down the exhaust pipe about 12" from the last cylinder.

If your downstream sensor is bad, it typically indicates that your catalytic convertor is not functioning correctly.

Quick Reply: Oxygen Sensor Locations