460/s and SAE b/housing

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2007, 05:50 AM
zzmark
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
460/s and SAE b/housing

Gooday from down here . Posed a question in the Diff /gearbox /axels site regarding wether or not some 460s came out with a SAE bolt pattern . I understand quite a few 460s were used in an industrial application and Im wondering if they were cast with the SAE pattern or is there an adaptor . The boys on the other site suggested I try here . Im in the process of adapting a 5sp spicer o/d gearbox to one of the 460s I have here and it came with an alaminium housing . Ive fabricated an adaptor to go between the original 460 cast housing [which by the way was shipped over to me by a heck of a good fella from Pensylvania whom I contacted through this site] and the face of the gearbox though it would greatly simplify the project if the bolt patterns were the same. If my adaptor is succesful Ill be happy to send some pics over and if its not it will be getting welded to my monument of stupidity. The box isnt that much bigger than the standard NP435 and it has a .74 o/drive .The price of fuel here and my undying ambition to have a 460 under the tent instead of a tired 250 crossflow 6 is whats driving me . Im interested in aquiring the bits that I need if anyone can help .Ill press on with my adaptor for now .Ive got my fingers crossed it will be a goer .REGARDS from AUSTRALIA . Mark.

Old 10-09-2007, 12:23 PM
mcdonaldm
Elder User
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
the industrial engines used a bolt on adapter to go from the regular 385 pattern to the SAE pattern. they also used a SAE flywheel.

just do a search for Ford isndustrial engines and contact one of the reps to see if they can get you the adapter. lots of these motors out there.

rgds
Mike

Old 10-14-2007, 06:00 AM
zzmark
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks for your reply Mike Ill give that a go . Not much is known about that sorta info over here . Much appreciated. Regards from down here.