Need PRO Advise

Old 10-03-2007, 09:35 AM
Prowood
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Need PRO Advise

INTAKE GASKET FAILURE?....I have a 98 E-250 4.2 that the coolant cap was left off the bottle and engine got hot and blew.... Mechanic I know had a new crate motor...He installed it w/ new radiator and ran fine for 1735mi....THEN...it started running rough at idle about 4 blks from the house and after it was parked for about 3 hrs Hydrolocked! ..Antifreeze in one cyl on each side...They tore it down and said the headgaskets blew, that I had overheated it? replaced those and now they called me and front drivers cyl (#4?) is CRACKED! engine junk now... Is this from lower intake failure??? Age of FORD Crate motor was unknown but he had had it for several yrs in storage and didn't know the age/yr....Anyway to tell mfg date? and if it was one that had bad intake gasket? Need someone with good knowledge of this issue (PRO) not amature guesstimate

Old 10-08-2007, 02:41 PM
BrianA
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I'm not a pro but I'll try and help.

Yes, as you probably know, overheating can cause head gasket failure and warped heads. You did not mention the new motor running hot - only that they said you ran it hot. So, I am assuming that the engine did not, as far as you know, overheat. As far as you know, there was just a failure, correct?

You ask "is this from lower intake gasket failure?"
One would have to pull the intake manifold hardware and access the lower intake manifold gaskets to determine if they failed.

Yes, the early 4.2 motors were prone to "early" failure of the LIM gasket, but head gasket failure has never really been a big problem.

Based on the info you provide, and assuming you did not have the engine overheat, I'd guess you had a head gasket fail and that lead to the rest of your problems.

I suspect, if this is a Ford crate motor, that there is SOME way to determine its date of manufacture. Normal = sticker on valve cover and I think a metal tab under one of the head bolts. But, I'm guessing the valve covers are from your old motor so that might not be of much help.

Did the seller/installer provide a warranty? You don't mention it. If one was provided, then you'll have to look at the details there to see what gives.

Hope you get it all squared away.

Search this Thread