1997 - 2003 F150 1997-2003 F150, 1997-1999 F250LD, 7700 & 2004 F150 Heritage

1997-98 Interior Door Panel

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2007, 10:41 AM
montanafordman
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question 1997-98 Interior Door Panel

I am currently doing a factory power option upgrade in my 98 F150 and need new interior door panels - my question is that when I"m looking at new ones they list a door panel with a door pull handle and one without. The trucks I've seen all have a pull handle just above the window and lock controls, and I also know that the door panel style was changed and the handle relocated in the 99-03 model years. The two options I get though are both listed for 97-98. Was there two styles of door panels in the 97-98 year range? or was the pull handle detachable and just sold separately from the complete door panel? I'm hoping to find "good" door panels from a donor truck (no luck yet) but thats the one thing I may get new if possible and as pricey as they are I want to be sure to get the right thing. Thanks for any input!

Old 10-03-2007, 08:05 PM
aypaintbody
New User
i dont think that the 97-98 years had any difference in panels other than color...did you get the upgrade from the dealer, if so how much was the upgrade, i would like to do it on my truck also...thanks

Old 10-03-2007, 10:05 PM
montanafordman
Senior User
Originally Posted by aypaintbody
i dont think that the 97-98 years had any difference in panels other than color...did you get the upgrade from the dealer, if so how much was the upgrade, i would like to do it on my truck also...thanks
Thats kind of what I'm thinking - Anybody have any more info? If you have a 97-98 truck please chime in! I'm doing the upgrade myself from parts taken the salvage yard. I must warn you that its a big job! the wire harness goes from one door all the way behind the dash panel to the other door - and the wires the door harness plugs into don't exist beyond the fuse panel, and other wires have to be spliced in from the horn, headlights, ignition switch anti theft lock etc - I'm doing the full on keyless entry factory alarm and power windows. This would not be possible if I didn't have the factory service manual with the connector pin circuits and wiring diagrams. On my truck the door harness has the same connector that hooks into the main harness - but half the wires are missing so I cut out the main harness connectors from the donor truck - removed the new wiring pins and will hook them into my existing plug ins and splice them into the correct locations and the fuse panel for a factory setup. I THINK this is an easier route than replaceing the entire main harness - which is HUGE with LOTS of wires! Once again - the ford service manual is key unless you're replacing the ENTIRE main harness inside the cab. This helps you identify all the circuits, which ones you need to splice in - and where they're supposed to hook in. The nice thing about this is all the missing wires will snap into my connectors so I'll be able to create a factory wiring job with fuses and relays all in the proper location with less fire risk and it'll be MUCH easier to troubleshoot and find replacement parts should things wear out or go wrong in the future - this and the looks etc is why I think this is a better route than going with an aftermarket setup for power locks and windows. Cost wise I think I've paid around $100 dollars for the wire harness, anti theft personality module (alarm and keyless entry module) 1 lock actuator, GEM module (that I didn't need afterall since I have 4x4) and another $70 dollars for the switch panels off ebay. I still need to get 2 window regulators (50-70 dollars each from salvage yards) 1 lock actuator (25 dollars from salvage or 75 brand new OEM) and the door panels. The only parts I may have issues with is the door panels since I"m not having any luck finding any decent used ones (which would be 60-100 dollars) - and new ones are 400-500 each! Hopefully I can find used ones but may go new - It'll be like having a new truck! Looking at the 30K price tag of a new truck I'm excited to stick with mine and give it the power facelift for a lot less! I'm taking my time though and doing my homework now - found out where all my wires need to go though and getting the parts however I probably won't tackle the install until around christmas time. I hope to get lots of pictures and do a write up on the process to maybe post in the future for any others interested in taking this on since I havn't found details about the swap - other than rumors and posts that some have done it.

Old 10-04-2007, 12:46 AM
Half Breed
Elder User
Have you tried looking on E-Bay. I've seen those door panels there several times.

Old 10-04-2007, 12:48 AM
montanafordman
Senior User
Been looking constantly for the last week and a half or so. There have been some 99-03 door panels but not the 97-98. They switched the handle location and latch mechanism in 99. I'll keep me eyes open though....

Old 04-01-2008, 08:06 PM
97obxwhite
New User
I know that there hasn't been any posts on this thread in a while, but I was wondering if you had any problems on the window power stuff, I got the doors from another truck on mine, but the windows don't work. Locks and speakers are fine though, and I managed to add a couple of circuits for the new harness, but I was working off of a 99 donor vehicle so I'm not 100% sure on the exact wiring. Thanks for your help

Old 04-01-2008, 09:16 PM
montanafordman
Senior User
Wow, funny this came up since I was thinking about it on my drive home today... yeah its been a long time since I've been on FTE or talking of my power conversion subject.... Life took hold I guess... I took a new job as a frieght pilot and have been living between Spokane and Seattle WA and havn't had the time or space for my project but hopefully when I get some days off I'll be able to tackle it this spring or summer. I have ALL the parts I need. I found some inside door panels at the local salvage yard that "looked" pretty beat up, greasy and grungy but they cleaned up REALLY nice and look new now! Got the set for something like 50 bucks? Anyhow its only a matter of time but I have all the wiring diagrams, parts, and pieces I need. I'll hopefully do a write up when the time comes. Glad if I could be of help for anyone else though!

-Montanafordman