Ford vs The Competition Technical discussion and comparison ONLY. Trolls will not be tolerated.

First chink in the armor.....let the insults fly!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2007, 02:45 PM
DOHCmarauder
Postmaster
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
First ***** in the armor.....let the insults fly!!

Impeding transmission disaster or annoying trait???

Have about 2500 miles on the Tundra.....

During 1st trip of the day, until things warm up a tad, the trans slips or "flashes".

In other words, the RPM rises with no corresponding increase in speed. (almost like it's low on fluid)

Trans functions fine the rest of the time.

I know I need to bring it in but I fear the standard dealer response; "Cannot duplicate"

It'll have to sit overnight to get it to repeat.

2 previous gripes about the truck are kinda me not looking too far into it.

The radio display is invisible during the day..........because dumas me has my sun glasses on. But I still can see the numbers on my Ford with glasses on/off.

Even though the Tundra tow hooks are way recessed, there is a built in "guide" that would keep a strap at an angle away from the bottom of the truck.

The Ford tow hooks are still a better design.

1 new gripe is that Toy uses a non-cartridge type filter....you have to spin off the housing, replace the filter, re-install housing. A drain at the bottom of the housing and a special plastic tool that comes with the filter does drain the housing.....but it's still a PITA compared to a spin on cartridge. (My VW TDI used a similar set up)

The frame issue has always been moot to me even though I think the Ford 150 does have a beefier set up on paper

After having the Tundra on the lift to change the oil, I noticed the front boxed section is at least the Ford's equal......the center section is quite unique; It's a C-channel but uses another piece of steel inserted inside the channel. It's riveted every few inches. Even though it's technically a C-channel, it is "double walled" and nearly connects to make a box. Don't understand the reasoning.....seems like a lot of extra work.

The last 1/3 of the frame is standard C-channel....just like my Super Duty.

I promised all the pros and cons as I find 'em.

Old 10-01-2007, 02:57 PM
seventyseven250
Lead Driver
Received 435 Likes on 320 Posts
Interesting, keep the reviews comming.

It's nice to hear from a ford guy what he thinks of the Toyota.

Old 10-01-2007, 03:16 PM
SMIGGS
Posting Guru
Toyota blows!

Now that I have the insult out of the way, whats with you and transmissions?

So it may be that the frame isn't as "inferior" as stated by one almighty Mechanical ( was he? ) Engineer?

Old 10-01-2007, 04:08 PM
V10_Cougar
Elder User
Originally Posted by DOHCmarauder
Impeding transmission disaster or annoying trait???

Have about 2500 miles on the Tundra.....

During 1st trip of the day, until things warm up a tad, the trans slips or "flashes".

In other words, the RPM rises with no corresponding increase in speed. (almost like it's low on fluid)

Trans functions fine the rest of the time.

I know I need to bring it in but I fear the standard dealer response; "Cannot duplicate"

It'll have to sit overnight to get it to repeat.

2 previous gripes about the truck are kinda me not looking too far into it.

The radio display is invisible during the day..........because dumas me has my sun glasses on. But I still can see the numbers on my Ford with glasses on/off.

Even though the Tundra tow hooks are way recessed, there is a built in "guide" that would keep a strap at an angle away from the bottom of the truck.

The Ford tow hooks are still a better design.

1 new gripe is that Toy uses a non-cartridge type filter....you have to spin off the housing, replace the filter, re-install housing. A drain at the bottom of the housing and a special plastic tool that comes with the filter does drain the housing.....but it's still a PITA compared to a spin on cartridge. (My VW TDI used a similar set up)

The frame issue has always been moot to me even though I think the Ford 150 does have a beefier set up on paper

After having the Tundra on the lift to change the oil, I noticed the front boxed section is at least the Ford's equal......the center section is quite unique; It's a C-channel but uses another piece of steel inserted inside the channel. It's riveted every few inches. Even though it's technically a C-channel, it is "double walled" and nearly connects to make a box. Don't understand the reasoning.....seems like a lot of extra work.

The last 1/3 of the frame is standard C-channel....just like my Super Duty.

I promised all the pros and cons as I find 'em.
Wow, I aint here to Troll, but all in all the Tundra seems like a nice truck. Tranny slippage - that is scary bro, Keep us posted

Old 10-01-2007, 04:26 PM
BigF350
Hotshot
Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by SMIGGS
Now that I have the insult out of the way, whats with you and transmissions?
He doesn't know how to drive

I think the Las Vegas temps could have something to do with it...
Keep us posted DOHC

Old 10-01-2007, 05:46 PM
DOHCmarauder
Postmaster
Well, the only trans left is the Allison............

Old 10-01-2007, 06:40 PM
xtrford
Posting Guru
I always hated the cartridge style oil filters, my wife has a TDI as well.

Does your tranny do this when shifting through all the gears??

Old 10-01-2007, 06:54 PM
DOHCmarauder
Postmaster
Originally Posted by xtrford
I always hated the cartridge style oil filters, my wife has a TDI as well.

Does your tranny do this when shifting through all the gears??

Right on, at least the TDI has an intergrated "nut" on the housing to turn it. (used a large Crescent)
I had to run and find a 65mm fluted tool to unscrew the Toy housing.....you can ALMOST get a strap wrench around it.

Negative on all the gears....just 1st gear from a dead stop. Does it maybe twice and then operates normally.

On the Tundra site, I've got 2 others saying they have similar symptoms.

Old 10-01-2007, 07:05 PM
BigF350
Hotshot
Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts
Are they in hot climates too????

Old 10-01-2007, 08:15 PM
DOHCmarauder
Postmaster
Originally Posted by FTE Fred
Are they in hot climates too????
South Carolina and Mississsippi.........more humid yes.....hotter?

Old 10-01-2007, 11:54 PM
DearbornDerek
Senior User
Would I be correct to assume (yeah, I know not trying to make an *** out of either of us ) that the trans is sealed and you can't check the level? Maybe it does need a topoff? Just throwing out ideas.

Old 10-02-2007, 07:43 AM
DOHCmarauder
Postmaster
Originally Posted by DearbornDerek
Would I be correct to assume (yeah, I know not trying to make an *** out of either of us ) that the trans is sealed and you can't check the level? Maybe it does need a topoff? Just throwing out ideas.

Sealed is correct...........and it crossed my mind but I would think low fluid would cause it to slip at every take off.

Old 10-02-2007, 08:01 AM
SMIGGS
Posting Guru
What did the other 2 owners do with their problem?

I think this might be a good time to test out the Toyota customer service and take that truck in. Wouldn't want to see a bigger problem with the tranny down the road.

So there is no dipstick to check the fluid level in the transmission?

Old 10-02-2007, 08:05 AM
osbornk
Postmaster
Sealed is correct...........and it crossed my mind but I would think low fluid would cause it to slip at every take off.
I've experienced this problem on a couple of transmissions over the last 40+ years. The problem with one was a low fluid level. It would do it when the transmission was cold and the fluid level increased enough when it expanded as it warmed up and it would work OK. The other time is was leaking internal seals on a new 76 Ford LTD. It only did it when it was very cold. Once it shifted through the gears and the seals warmed up, it was OK. It was under warranty but it was a company car so I waited for it to totally fail. It never did and 2 owners later when it was worn out with about 160,000 hard miles, the transmission was still OK.

Old 10-02-2007, 05:44 PM
snowdog79
Laughing Gas
I wonder if it would be worse in really cold weather (had to scrape the ice off my truck this morning)?
On the frame issue, I wonder why the new Land Cruiser and LX570 have gone to fully boxed frames and Toyota is making a big deal about it?

Quick Reply: First chink in the armor.....let the insults fly!!