unsure of what to build

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2007, 09:44 PM
78 stepside
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
unsure of what to build

i have a 78 f150 w/ a 71 460 40 over what are some pros and cons of going either back to the 460 or going to a 514 or 557? for right now the budgit only allows for the stroker kit alm. heads might come down the road. it is just a toy truck. it might get driven to work a couple times a year. its mainly for mud bogs. i guess what im after is would the 557 be over kill for what i do with the truck thanks for any input mike

Old 10-01-2007, 10:33 AM
trinogt
Cargo Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If it's a toy truck that you want to really shine at the mudbogs, put your money up and go for bigger. You will also have to make sure the rest of your drivetrain and suspension is up to the task. For an everyday driver, you could still do a mild build without stroking and be very happy. It's all about the wallet. The bigger the wallet, the bigger the smiles!!!

Old 10-05-2007, 11:45 AM
airharley
Postmaster
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
You could also make it a 520 or 532 if you can get the .040 pistons custom made. Check some of the suppliers to see what they have available.

Even at .040 over a stock 3.85 inch stroke is plenty to turn 500 plus HP if you match your parts correctly.

http://www.rpmmachine.com/shop/html/...ory-123-0.html

Old 10-05-2007, 11:59 AM
mcdonaldm
Elder User
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
kinda of depends on what you want.

the 557 with stock heads will never live up to its true potential. the heads will really choke that size of motor unless you build it as a torque monster at first. probably be limited to around 4 - 4500 rpm with stock heads. but the good thing is that when you can afford the aluminum heads (save for a really good set like the P-51, Super Cobra jets, blue thunder, etc, not the pro-comps or even the Edelbrocks for this size of motor) and then you will have a real hp monster on your hands. easy 700- 800hp or more with right cam and head porting mods.

the 514 would work better with the stock heads with some porting and larger 2.19 valves installed. will be a decent combo capable of probably 550- 600hp easily. but then if you add aluminum heads, you will wish for more cubes to take advantage of the better heads.

so if you can live with the limitations of a large motor with stock heads then that is what i would do. the kits are all pretty close in price between 514 or 557 anyways, and the good aluminum heads are all pretty closely priced.

i guess you would have to way the pro's and con's of either the 514 or larger motor and decide waht you really want to do.

rgds
Mike