Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Misc. > Clutch, Transmission, Differential, Axle & Transfer Case
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

Welcome to Ford-Trucks Forums!
Welcome to Ford-Trucks.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Ford-Trucks Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 09-28-2007, 07:17 AM
Posting Guru

77300i6 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Question Shifting Issues-M5OD-R1

Hi everyone,

I have a '94 Ranger w/ a 5 spd. This should be the M5OD-R1-right? I just bought the truck a few days ago.

First Issue: Any time you put the tranny in reverse without putting it in a forward gear beforehand, it will grind. Doesn't matter which forward gear you put it in, just so long as you do this before putting it into reverse. Once you do this, it will go into reverse just fine.

I was thinking this could be a synchro going out. Any other possibilities?

Second Issue: Say I'm driving down the road, the transmission will shift in and out of eact gear just fine-no problems. When come to a stop, I put the tranny in neutral. When I get ready to take off again, the tranny does want to go into gear. There's no grinding or anything like that, it's more like I have to find the gates. It just doesn't want to slip into the gates like it should, I have to move the stick around trying to get it into any gear. Once I find any gear, then it will slip right into first. Then the 1--> 2 shift is a bit stiff, and subsequent shifts are just fine.

The truck has a 3" body lift.

Could this be causing misalignment of the shift linkage?

Are there any bushings there to wear out and cause a misalignment?

This problem seems to be more of an alignment issue than anything else. Also, is there anything else I should know/watch out for (other than hearing it's junk)?

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

2004 Taurus SEL 24V DOHC; 100K (Mine)
1999 F150 XLT Scab 4x4 5.4L/Auto 3.55LS; 77K (Hers)
Old 09-28-2007, 08:39 AM
Posting Guru

I forgot add that when the truck is off, I can put the tranny in any gear with ease. The problem is only there when the truck is running.

Old 10-02-2007, 09:30 AM
Senior User

classicranger is starting off with a positive reputation.
I have this trans in my truck, not 4x4 though, but i go into 4th gear before trying anyother gear, it seams to ingage the easyest this way.
There is no shift linkage on this trans shifter goes straight into the trans.
When stop and put tranny in neutral all the gears are still turning so when you engage to a gear it has to stop them from turning, so 4th gear does it the easyest.
Also have you checked the fluid(it takes mercon atf) sometimes the little rubber plugs on top of the trans will go bad and it will leak. Most people will put small freezplugs in place of them.
Here is some info on it.
http://www.therangerstation.com/tech...aintenance.htm
Old 10-02-2007, 10:00 AM
Posting Guru

Thanks for the link classicranger.

A few days ago I checked the fluid level and found it to be low. So I decided to just drain all the old stuff out. The fluid that came out looked more like used engine oil than ATF.

I refilled with Mobile 1 and the tranny shifted SOO much better. The problem is still there, but about 50% better. Most of the time I can get to slip into 3rd or 5th easily and then to first.

I'm thinking it could be a clutch issue also. I'm going to bleed the slave cylinder because the pedal is a little stiffer than what it should be. Thanks.

Old 10-05-2007, 12:24 AM
Senior User

Wynn96 is starting off with a positive reputation.
I had a 94 B4000 4x4 and it did the same thing. It definately helped to change the fluid though. That tranny leaked a little bit. My current truck has the same transmission, but I have NEVER had that problem. Kind of weird. BTW my truck now is a 96 F150, but it has the M5OD. I think it's something you just have to live with. It's especially bad in the winter.
Old 10-05-2007, 07:34 AM
Posting Guru

Thank guys.

Well, I believe that I have found the real problem-the slave cylinder. Changing the tranny fluid certainly helped it shift smoother.

So the tranny is going have to be dropped, and I replace the rubber plugs while its out.

Old 10-05-2007, 07:34 AM

Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Misc. > Clutch, Transmission, Differential, Axle & Transfer Case

Tags
cover, ford, m50dr1, m5od, m5odr1, mazda, plugs, problems, r1, relplace, removing, reverse, rubber, shift, shifter, shifting, transmission