1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2000 F350 Glow Plug Relay Clicking?

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2007, 10:23 AM
Dave K
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question 2000 F350 Glow Plug Relay Clicking?

I've got a 2000 F350 and it has started making a clicking noise when I turn on the key to heat the glow plugs. It sounds like a relay chattering and is coming from the dash about where the radio is located. It happens when I turn on the key, not when I acutally engage the starter. It is not like when you have low voltage and the starter soleniod clicks.

It only lasts for a few seconds but the truck will not start as long as it is making this sound.

I've posted this on the diesel forum without much luck so I thought I'd try here. Any idea what it is?

Dave

Old 09-26-2007, 10:55 AM
rugermack
Posting Guru
Mine just started doing the same thing, I have no problem starting it yet.

Old 09-26-2007, 12:03 PM
Dave K
Junior User
Originally Posted by rugermack
Mine just started doing the same thing, I have no problem starting it yet.
Mine starts fine if you wait for the clicking to stop. If you try to start it while it's clicking, it just turns over.

Dave

Old 09-26-2007, 12:07 PM
rugermack
Posting Guru
Does this clicking mean glow plug relay is going south, or are glow plugs causing a strain on relay ? Which means there on their way out ?

Old 09-26-2007, 03:16 PM
Dave K
Junior User
Originally Posted by rugermack
Does this clicking mean glow plug relay is going south, or are glow plugs causing a strain on relay ? Which means there on their way out ?
I'm not sure that it is the glow plug relay. I haven't had the time to check into it. I was hoping that someone on here might know for sure. You're the second guy who says that his truck is doing the same thing. I just tried to think of what was tied into turning on the key that needs a relay. I guy at work that used to be a Ford mechanic suggested that it may be a fuel pump/pressure relay.

Dave

Old 09-26-2007, 03:27 PM
kbeefy
Cargo Master
Received 289 Likes on 218 Posts
well, when the glow plugs die they go open, so theres less resistance. Even if the did increase load, it wouldn't cause your relay to fail. I'd make sure it was your glow plug relay first. Are you sure both batteries are good and at full charge?
It's still warm enough most places, you probably don't even need your glow plugs yet to start. Mine will start down to 40* without them.
Try checking to see which (if either) relay is chattering(vibrating) sometimes you can tell by touch, or you can put a test light on it, or just unhook it all together and see if it still does it.
If you unhook it, be carefull... most will suggest disconecting the battery first. One side of the relay is hot at all times, regardless of key position.

Sorry, I can't remember exactly what will cause your relay to do that, but it seems like I've encountered it before. 1 Weak battery is what comes to mind.

A quick search in the 7.3 forum should tell you which relay is for glow plugs and which is the intake heater.

Old 09-26-2007, 03:33 PM
kbeefy
Cargo Master
Received 289 Likes on 218 Posts
hey, I found an old post with a visual aid...
So you know, the Glow plug relay is in the rear, in the pic I'm pointing at the wire from the air intake heater, which is in the front..

Good Luck!

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/5...n-the-gpr.html

Old 09-26-2007, 03:50 PM
TwelveAlpha
Elder User
I am in the same boat. I did a thread a couple of weeks ago about the truck not starting, and come to find out it was a loose battery cable. Or so we thought.
It's still making the clicking sound, it's not a loose cable, the batteries are only a few months old . . .
which makes me wonder, since it does, in fact, start, does that mean the batteries are actually good? I've pondered the idea that its possible I got a lemon for one of them.
And like the previous poster, it clicks, but if you wait and give it a sec, then it'll start.
Now run this through the head.
You try to start, you're in a rush, you don't wait. Click click click
Ok dummy, you say, turn the key back, turn forward, wait to start light goes off, now it starts. And delivers a HUGE plume of grey smoke.
But only if it didnt start on the first try.
What the heck
I think its a relay or a glow plug too. I just havent dug into it yet. Too flippin busy.

Old 09-26-2007, 09:02 PM
Dave K
Junior User
Mine actually sounds like it is in the dash. It is a clean crisp sound like it's in the interior of the truck. I would think that if the sound came from under the hood it would be more muffled.

Dave

Old 09-27-2007, 08:04 AM
rugermack
Posting Guru
Mines under the hood too. So, it definitely isn't glow plug relay. Its under the dash somewhere up above the fuel pedal area. Mine doesn't always do it. It did it a few times over the week end and then stopped. I haven't heard it since, but I know it will be back.

Old 09-27-2007, 08:06 AM
rugermack
Posting Guru
I meant to say mine "isn't" under hood. Its too early today.

Old 09-27-2007, 11:37 AM
TwelveAlpha
Elder User
Yeah, under the dash. Directly in front of your right knee.

Old 10-04-2007, 12:20 PM
rugermack
Posting Guru
O.K. this topic seemed to go under hood to GP relay, the noise is actually coming from under dash, by right knee. When my truck does this it won't start. If I turn off key, wait a few seconds and try it again clicking is gone and truck starts as normal. It does not always do it, just every now and then(intermitten). It does sound like some sort of relay, but I don't know what its for. Today when I go home, I'm going to take off kick panel and see if I can make it do it. Of course it won't because that'a the way intermittin crap works. It is definitely not GP relay under hood making this noise.

Old 10-26-2007, 09:40 AM
Fishbait
New User
What was the final solution to the problem? My truck is doing the exact thing.

Old 10-26-2007, 11:32 PM
matt f350
5th Wheeling
My 1999 f250 7.3 liter does the same thing. When I turn the key for the wait to start light I hear a clicking near the radio, under the dash. It only lasts a second or two but I am not sure if I have a relay going south (and which one) or not. I have not had this truck long so any replys might help.
Matt

Quick Reply: 2000 F350 Glow Plug Relay Clicking?