coolant additive issue

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2007, 12:53 PM
MikeFromShiloh
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
coolant additive issue

Just looking for some second opinions

I checked my coolant the other day using some NAPA test strips. These strips check PH, freeze point, and the "other" which I dont recall what it is called but this is the thing we diesel owners need to watch. Well, the "other" tested way high which per the bottle I needed to recharge the coolant system. So, I recharged. I drained the radiator, filled with water and drove a few miles till the engine warmed to norm temp. I drained again. I then recharged with Shell antifreeze and a bottle of NAPA coolant additive. After driving the truck a few times I rechecked and it is calling for a recharge again.? The old coolant had not been in the system but a few yrs so it looked good. I dont have any leaks, I dont have to make any adds. No water in the oil. Right now I am thinking I need to buy some new test strips but wanted to get a second opinion. Any thought would be helpful.

thanks
MW

Old 09-24-2007, 12:58 PM
tjbeggs
Post Fiend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
It wouldn't be abnormal to have to recharge after things got mixed up good. but New strips are cheap and they do have expiration dates (though I have been using mine way longer than that) so I would get some new ones retest and charge if needed.

Old 09-24-2007, 12:59 PM
Neal 97 250
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Were the other ones old? If so I would definately try a fresh set.

Old 09-24-2007, 01:03 PM
MikeFromShiloh
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks yall. Yep, one of the reasons I was leaning towards new strips because they are several yrs old. I dont even remember how expensive these are but will find out here shortly.

Just wantering what causes this "other" to build up and check high?

Old 09-24-2007, 01:20 PM
plowhand
Playing in the Dirt
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Mike, just for FYI, if all other test were within range, and it only called for more SCA, you do not have to drain and refill the coolant system, just add the correct amount of SCA to your coolant to bring the reading into specs.