New exhaust on my 4.2 :)

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2007, 10:36 AM
LongIslandMike
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New exhaust on my 4.2 :)

Got a CherryBomb Xtreme installed a couple of weeks ago and man...it actually sounds good, even being a V6. So far I've had three people ask me what I have, and one of those people actually followed me around for quite a while just to ask me. He had the same truck as me and couldn't beleive the 4.2 could sound like that.

The guy that installed it also installed the FlowMaster setup on the 1967 Chevy Camaro SS we are restoring in the garage. He let me try several mufflers before deciding on one. He would weld one on and let me take the truck around the block and listen to it (the "block" is actually freeway entrance ramps so I got to go about 70mph and/or cruise) and come back and tell him what I thought. The first one was pretty good, but too mellow. The second one was more aggressive sounding, but not loud enough. The third one was like...nothing, just weak. And the fourth one was the one I took home. He didn't tell me which muffler was which until I had decided on one and tried all of them.

1. MagnaFlow
2. Flowmaster Super 44
3. Gibson
4. CherryBomb Xtreme

I was quite surprised that the loudest and most aggressive sounding muffler (which is all I wanted) also happened to be the cheapest. The muffler itself was only $48. I know this thread is basically useless without sound/video, so I'll try to get a clip up asap, but until then I just wanted to post my comments.

~LiM

Old 09-30-2007, 11:09 PM
bla1879
Fleet Mechanic
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
how loud was it at highway cruising speed? and where is the location of the exhaust? like side behind the rear wheel, or before the rear wheel? cuz im lookin into getting a truck with a 4.2 and was wondering about an exhaust for it, thanks man