Pre-Power Stroke Diesel (7.3L IDI & 6.9L) Diesel Topics Only

Type "B" or type "E" 7.3 injectors, what is the diff?

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2007, 10:41 PM
archangel
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Type "B" or type "E" 7.3 injectors, what is the diff?

The site that lists injectors for sale tells me my truck would either have type "B", "BB", "C", or "D" injectors.

The engine I got my spare injectors from was a newer E series van, but the engine was a non turbo IDI just like mine, but the injectors were stamped "E".

So what is the deal with them?
Are there pressure issues?
Pattern issues?
Fitment/size issues?
Can I use the type "E" (1992 1/2 to 1994) 7.3 IDI injectors in my 91 F250 7.3 IDI?

I grabed these 8 injectors (to clean, test and later install) as the engine seemed to be the newest and cleanest 7.3 there, and mine has serious injector (white smoke idle/drip) issues and I can not have the truck down for more than one day.

I also got the 8 glow plugs as they all looked good and only one tested bad and I needed one so have 6 to spare for later if need be.

Old 09-21-2007, 11:35 PM
catfish101
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
When ever I run into this I call an International dealer. According to them, it seems, that most supersed to one particular part number.

I can give you a number to a very good parts department. I deal with the guys on second shift most of the time and those two guys are very good. I get all my engine parts from IH and for the most part the prices are very competitive. I will also give alittle more from them also. I know if I have a problem that they will fix it.

Old 09-22-2007, 12:20 AM
wh336fire
Senior User
I was told that the " e " injectors open at a slightly higher pressure for higher performance . Yes they will work in your engine . You should have them tested for proper operation before they are installed .

Old 09-22-2007, 06:14 AM
fonefiddy
Postmaster
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
There are some that have the opinion that the 93 IDI Turbo fuel system was 'De-tuned' by Ford. Both for emmissions, and Ford knew the PSD was waiting in the wings. So they did'nt want the IDI-T making more power than their new, and improved diesel engine.

Now, that'd make for a hard sell? " Buy this new fangled electronic engine that makes less power than our old mechanical one?"

So the 'E's' might make LESS power than the 'D's'. I dunno. I've had both, and with the IP fuel scew turned up on both, I can't really tell the differance.

They both feel about the same, measuring with the allways accurate, "Seat Of the Pant's" Dynometer

Last edited by fonefiddy; 09-22-2007 at 06:17 AM.
Old 09-22-2007, 07:48 AM
PLC7.3
Post Fiend
E and G injectors are for the 92.5 engines N/A and N/A turbo, they are coupled with the: E injectors and 5013 IP, 94 TD G injectors and 5070 IP.

They "injectors" all have internal differences to match with specific IP's and specific engines. Using the wrong engine, injector and pump combination will not give you the proper performance levels or increased power etc.

Old 09-22-2007, 06:16 PM
archangel
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by PLC7.3
E and G injectors are for the 92.5 engines N/A and N/A turbo, they are coupled with the: E injectors and 5013 IP, 94 TD G injectors and 5070 IP.

They "injectors" all have internal differences to match with specific IP's and specific engines. Using the wrong engine, injector and pump combination will not give you the proper performance levels or increased power etc.
So should I go back and get the injection pump as well if it's still there so it will all match up?

I had not planed on that, but I might as well so I'll have the whole thing to tinker with.

Old 09-23-2007, 08:58 PM
PLC7.3
Post Fiend
The injectors will match the IP but not the engine....... You can try them with the IP but I am unsure as to what performance if any .........will happen. Some one has to be the first to say..... if it works or not.

Old 09-23-2007, 11:16 PM
archangel
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by PLC7.3
The injectors will match the IP but not the engine....... You can try them with the IP but I am unsure as to what performance if any .........will happen. Some one has to be the first to say..... if it works or not.
All I'm looking for is to eliminate the white smoke when cold and the raw fuel smell out of the tail pipe.

And i still do not understand the difference between them on the same N/A engine other than being a newer upgraded part.

The 7.3 IDI is basically the same engine as a long block except for a compression difference between the N/A and turbo engine (I believe).

I could see the N/A and turbo pump and injectors being different between them as well because there is more 02 in the turbo engine so it can use more fuel.

Old 09-24-2007, 08:03 PM
Tom D
Elder User
Speaking of injectors, after installing a Banks turbo on my NA 7.3, do I (or should I) need to change out the injectors? And if I do, what about the IP? Should the timing be advanced slightly after the turbo installation?

Old 09-26-2007, 11:29 PM
archangel
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by Tom D
Speaking of injectors, after installing a Banks turbo on my NA 7.3, do I (or should I) need to change out the injectors? And if I do, what about the IP? Should the timing be advanced slightly after the turbo installation?
Taking a deep breath and--------
Diesels run super lean at an idle as there is more air than the amount of fuel at an idle can burn because they are not "throttled" like gas engines are, so adding a turbo and not upgrading the fuel injectors will hurt nothing but your ego when the power output is not what you expected, but upgrade the injectors and you increase the fuel in the engine which already had more than enough air in it because of the turbo so you get more power, and I'm sure the pump and timing can be adjusted or changed to maximize your power out put as well even without a turbo.
PHEW!
And all in one breath!

Last edited by archangel; 09-26-2007 at 11:31 PM.
Old 09-29-2007, 09:23 PM
archangel
Posting Guru
OK, here is the skinny on the injector issue!

I had a long talk with a local Diesel performance shop (although they are not limited to Diesel performance only) and they told me all about it.

Am I now an expert?

The 7.3 Diesel injector pump puts out way more fuel than the engine can use as the overflow recirculates for cooling as well as lubricating.

And there is only one basic injection pump.
I have heard of rumers of special 7.3 injector pumps (MILITARY ISSUE ONLY with hardened internal components) that can deal with lesser lubricative and non-lubricative fuels and can run off any fluid that will burn and also other fuels like JP, Kerosene and Gasoline.

Although the injector pump determines how much fuel volume and pressure goes to the injector, like at idle and part throttle, the injector is the "choke point" in the fuel delivery system and will determine the ultimate full throttle power output depending on how much it allowed into the combustion chamber at full throttle.

The differing letters such as "B" "BB" "C" and "D" could indicate differing horse power levels or an upgraded pintle or internal component design.

The ones I get were out of a 1992 "E" van with the "E" code.

The "E" series van is slightly de-tuned (through the injectors) as the area at the back of the engine does not conduct the radiator air out as well as a pickup truck does so it needs to be limited as to how much HP heat it generates.

With an upgraded injector (like going from an "E" code to a "D" code) it should be possible to increase your HP level as much as 40 or so HP.

There are also Marine 7.3 Diesels out there that might also have different injectors as well and might offer even more or less potential HP levels.

With these "E" injectors I might even get better mileage as I doubt I will ever "need" all the power this engine will ever be able to put out.

I also got a 7.3 injector pump at the wreckers today and am going to set it up to test and clean the injectors I got.

Perhaps I though, by runnig solvent through them at full running pressure?
Give them a few full pressure squirts, let them sit a while with solvent in them than run them again?
Not running them long enough to create enough heat or friction to hurt anything as I doubt solvent lubes like Diesel does.

OH, what about biodiesel as a cleaning and testing fluid?
I hear that it cleans the Diesel fuel system out real well, perhaps I use that?

I could set up a pully and run it off the B&S 5 hp compressor engine, or perhaps run it off the chain saw engine I have that I made a custom clutch housing for with a common #35 chain sprocket attached?

AHHHH!
Like I need more crap to tinker with.

Last edited by archangel; 09-29-2007 at 09:43 PM.
Old 09-30-2007, 09:04 AM
Dave Sponaugle
Post Fiend

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
I think the bottom line on the different pumps and injectors has more to do with EPA emission requirements that anything else.

Several different NA pumps and injector combinations, same stock HP and torque output for the engine over it's life cycle from Ford.

7.3 turbo derated.....turbo only adds 5 HP to a NA engine, sure I believe that.

Old 09-30-2007, 10:01 AM
Ford428CJ
Elder User
Originally Posted by archangel
Taking a deep breath and--------
Diesels run super lean at an idle
Sorry but Diesels "DONT" run lean or rich! No such thing as running lean. You can over fuel a Diesel. And if you run less fuel, just means you'll have less power. Diesels are Compression fired. You heat up the air to its hottest point and then you inject the fuel. That is why there is no such thing as a "Lean condition" unlike a gas engine that relies on spark to fire it.

I'm not picking on anyone here and please don't take it to hart. I like people to known the basic facts and have a understanding on what is going on. Take care.

Old 09-30-2007, 11:25 AM
archangel
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by Ford428CJ
Sorry but Diesels "DONT" run lean or rich! No such thing as running lean. You can over fuel a Diesel. And if you run less fuel, just means you'll have less power. Diesels are Compression fired. You heat up the air to its hottest point and then you inject the fuel. That is why there is no such thing as a "Lean condition" unlike a gas engine that relies on spark to fire it.

I'm not picking on anyone here and please don't take it to hart. I like people to known the basic facts and have a understanding on what is going on. Take care.
By lean I meant to imply that compared to a perfect air fuel ratio like gas engines need to attain, that there was way more air than fuel in the cylinders when fired as Diesels do not restrict the amount of air entering the cylinders

Old 09-30-2007, 02:43 PM
Ford428CJ
Elder User
Diesels don't really use a A/F ratio like a gas. No comparison. Totally two different animals.

Remember less fuel = less power. More Fuel = More Power. Gas engine don't work that way. Cant do that to a gas like you can a Diesel.

Quick Reply: Type "B" or type "E" 7.3 injectors, what is the diff?