What do you guys think of this truck?

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2007, 06:43 PM
ghunt
Postmaster
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What do you guys think of this truck?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...m=300152508187

I stopped by the dealership to check it out today, they said they haven't run it through the shop yet (why they haven't had it through the shop yet when the auction ends in 2 days, I don't know) so I didn't get to drive it but I left my phone number so hopefully I'll be able to stop by and drive it pretty soon.

Anyway, I did go ahead and look over the truck. Both rear fenders have rust bubbles over the wheels, but the metal is still solid and definitely fixable. There is also a small area of rust bubbles on the passenger side front fender, and some rust bubbles slightly behind the wheel opening toward the back of the fender on the driver's side, but again, the metal feels solid. Also some rust along the very bottom of the cab (below the extended cab itself) on the passenger side (thanks to those stupid running boards), but is not rusted through and also looks relatively easy to fix. Otherwise the body is pretty straight, the rear bumper is a little tweaked though. Wheel center caps are missing.

Chassis/springs etc look a little rusty but nothing out of the ordinary for a 10 year old northern truck. Spare tire is missing and the holder for it is all bent up for some reason.

Obviously I didn't get to pop the hood or actually get into the interior, but this truck has everything I want. Pretty well loaded, highback split bench with center armrest/console (what's the proper term for that?), 5 speed, manual hubs, supercab, short box. Interior looks pretty good except that there's some cigarette burns in the seat and normal wear. Shift **** is gone, but I'd probably cut off that splined thing and just weld a threaded end on there for a regular shift ****.

What do you guys think of this truck? What do you think this is worth?

I actually don't even know what they're asking for it, as the guy I talked to today said he didn't know and the guy that actually put it up on ebay and was dealing with it was busy.

Old 09-20-2007, 06:52 PM
c00nhunterjoe
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
nasty scar on the right rear 1\4, the seats are the much fought over 40\20\40's.
overall its looks good on the outside, seeing as how its not washed and waxed they probably arent trying to hide anything. definatly should get under the hood and start it up cold, poke around the engine some, see if she'd been powerwashed or if it looks as though its just been parked. if she's squeaky clean they may be covering up something. but over all it doesnt look to hateful, if it were me i'd pay 6-7 for it based on the much needed body work and interior damage, if its at a dealer they are probably asking 12

Old 09-20-2007, 07:13 PM
jboard
Elder User
Heck that looks like my truck...lol morgantown,WV only bout 1 1/2 hour my hometown. Has a straighter body and a 5 speed which I wish I had. Mileage is good and the price aint too high yet id say it might just be a good deal. 316,000 miles on mine so that one has alot of life left in it.
-----------Jeremy

Old 09-20-2007, 07:47 PM
1997F-350
Postmaster
$7,000.00 +/- $500.00

Old 09-20-2007, 07:58 PM
jboard
Elder User
I'd say that'd be a reasonable price.
------Jeremy

Old 09-20-2007, 10:11 PM
SHOpar
Senior User
If you can get it for a reasonable price, you'll definitely enjoy it. I was looking for pretty much the same truck as you for over a year. I finally found one and picked it up about a month ago and have really enjoyed it. It's a pretty similar setup to yours with similar miles, and I paid $11K for it. You can see some pics of it in this thread .

Every time I see a truck from the East Coast, I count my blessings we don't salt our roads out here. My truck has been out on the Oregon/Washington coast ever since it was new, yet has no rust issues...

Good luck on your negotiations!

Old 09-21-2007, 05:12 AM
jboard
Elder User
Salt is a nasty thing here in the winter sticks to everything...the bad thing is if theres salt then it usually too cold to wash your truck unless you can wash it in the garage...sometimes it sucks cause it will stay on there for a while before washing.
------------------Jeremy

Old 09-21-2007, 08:47 AM
ghunt
Postmaster
I would be surprised if I could get it that cheap. But it'd sure be nice!

I'm a little worried about the fact that they have it on ebay. If I couldn't drive it yesterday, I take that to mean nobody's been able to drive it, so I hope nobody's gonna buy it "sight unseen" so to speak. It has 1 day, 6 hours left currently and is at $4,150 and the reserve has not been met (and who knows what it is)

And yes, the salt is a killer...it sucks. As soon as it starts to snow, they salt the roads. You can't wash it off when it doesn't get over 20 degrees for 2 weeks and all the car washes are frozen up either.

BTW, the "scar" on the driver's side bed behind the wheelwell, there's just a dent in the chrome fender trim, no damage to the paint.