1980 - 1986 Bullnose F100, F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Early Eighties Bullnose Ford Truck

Auto Body Project: Start to Finish

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2010, 04:40 PM
Wicked Endings
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Auto Body Project: Start to Finish

Hey everyone!

Today, I am going to start one of those threads that last for 50 or so pages, because in the next few days, I am going to be starting an Auto-Body Project. Sanding, painting, etc...

However, ever since I bought the truck, I have needed you all to help me, walk me through things, explain me things...

So, let me show you what I will be working on.

She is a 1985 Ford F-150.

When i'm done with this project, I want her took look something like this...

Old 12-26-2010, 04:41 PM
Wicked Endings
Elder User
So, first thing is first...

What sander should I use?

If a few of you could send me links to different automotive sanders, that would be great.

Old 12-26-2010, 05:16 PM
ihateminimumwage
Posting Guru
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Pick up an air powered DA (Dual Action) sander. Only ones we used in the shop I was working at were off the Snap-On or Matco trucks but I don't remember what exact brand they were... (I'm no professional body man. Did paint removal, prep sanding, finish work, some buffing, etc.)

You also might want to read around the bodywork section on here, I'm sure there's plenty of info. Just realize; you're in for a lot of work, time, money and you'll need to be patient to get a good end result out of a one man job.

EDIT: Are you looking to take it down to the bare metal and do a fresh primer coat? The best way to get the old paint off is Aircraft Stripper. One big jug of that will take the old paint right off. That's what I've been using to get the house paint the PO coated most of my truck in. Used it in the shop and at home. Been able to take me time and still do a couple of panels a day all the way to primer.

Old 12-26-2010, 07:09 PM
91chevywt
Senior User
If you have a nice air compressor, get an air sander

My air compressor crapped out from my last paint job, so I ended up getting an electric 5" orbital sander from Lowes (Dewalt) and it worked out great. For tight spaces I use cheap sanding sponges I picked up from harbor freight.

General rule of thumb, don't trust your eyes so much as your hands. Any imperfections will be easier to feel by hand than by sight. If there is an area in question, it can be helpful to close your eyes and feel the area for a while, and try to make a mental picture where the low spot is. Take your time with it, and be sure to work with it, no matter how minor it is. This is very helpful for those minor dings, that can be hard to spot, but you know they're there. If you can feel it, it will show up with new paint.

As far as paint, my truck is at Maaco now for spray. Total price is about $800 including prep (taping, sanding), tax, "truck fee" for single stage urethane paint. I've had a friend get 3 trucks done there, all with this paint, and they have come out really nice. If you don't have experience spraying, I recommend looking into this route, stopping by, and looking at some of their paint work.

Old 12-26-2010, 07:13 PM
glovemeister
Cargo Master
Received 26 Likes on 16 Posts
Nice truck looks like the red and black one from the lost boys, bad *** pickup except for the fact that it backfires on shut down.

Old 12-27-2010, 07:31 AM
Wicked Endings
Elder User
Originally Posted by ihateminimumwage
The best way to get the old paint off is Aircraft Stripper.
Where do you think I could get this?

Old 12-27-2010, 07:32 AM
Wicked Endings
Elder User
I know it's going to be tough, and it's going to take me a while. But i'm going to do it and get it done!

Old 12-27-2010, 07:38 AM
Wicked Endings
Elder User
Dude... I am definetely getting some of that Aircraft Remover after seeing this video.

YouTube - Aircraft Remover

And best of all, they sell it at Home Depot! (I buy Lowes most of the time, but Lowes doesn't have this...)

http://www.homedepot.com/Klean-Strip...3#BVRRWidgetID

Old 12-27-2010, 11:54 AM
ihateminimumwage
Posting Guru
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
The Home Depot stripper won't work as well as the aircraft, but it'll get the job done.
The GOOD stuff is this:

Klean-Strip Aircraft Paint Remover Gallon GAR343 on eBay!

It is Klean-Strip brand, so some paint and home repair places can order it for you (or apparently you can get it on ebay, and that's a good price). Some areas I've seen it on the shelves of stores, some areas don't even know what I've talking about. Many body shop supply places also carry it, since PPG distributes it

It works wonders though. It ate my hood down to bare metal through house paint and all the factory lairs of paint in a couple coats. Then broke out the sander with a 220 disc and got the tiny pieces I missed.

Just be sure to wear a respirator, that stuff hurts if you accidentally get a whiff of it!