Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Diesel > Bio-diesel, Propane & Alternative Diesel Engine Fuels
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 09-17-2007, 04:08 PM
Senior User

turboman24 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Question How to Make Bio Diesel

OK so i am wondering if it is possible to make or brew your own biodiesel (science fair). I need to be able to brew my own biodiesel at home because i am not going to spend 4 grand to convert my truck over to run on biodiesel. I am just going to test the effects of biodiesel vs regualr diesel. EGT's, MPG. If it is possible to make biodiesel using home materials plus the cost of buying vegatable oil or any other kind of oil then please tell me how or give me a website that has specific directions. Also how safe is it to make biodiesel. I mean i have read things that say that without removing chemicals from the oil that act as delubricants you can burn injectors up. SO if any of you make biodiesel at your home and then dump it in the tank (if its possible) could you please make a direction write up for me. Then if it would be ok to site you in my reference page.

THanks Adam
Old 09-17-2007, 04:59 PM
New User

kumarp is starting off with a positive reputation.
Go to this page http://www.biodieselcommunity.org for instructions.

Quote:
I need to be able to brew my own biodiesel at home because i am not going to
spend 4 grand to convert my truck over to run on biodiesel.
Are you talking about converting to straight vegetable oil (SVO)? Your statement is very confusing. Biodiesel requires no "conversion" for the vehicle.

Quote:
Also how safe is it to make biodiesel.
If you mean to you personally, physically, making the fuel, you have to know what you are doing, and it's very similar to high school chemistry class.

If you mean to your vehicle, that all depends on the quality of your fuel.

Quote:
I mean i have read things that say that without removing chemicals from the oil that act as delubricants you can burn injectors up.
This makes no sense. When you're making biodiesel, you do a chemical reaction that separates out the glycerin from the vegetable oil molecule. Biodiesel is used as a lubricity additive, it has such a high lubricity.
Old 09-21-2007, 02:48 AM
Senior User

Red460 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Talking

Well Turboman24 as far as brewing your own at home your on your own, but go pick up January 2006 Diesel Power has a article on Biodiesel and April 2007 has a article Diesel Power also. Hope it helps.

Red460
Old 09-21-2007, 12:31 PM
Elder User

stormyrider is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
We have a couple of farmers here that buildt their own soybean processing unit to make biodiesel. It cooks the beans runs them through a press, then reheats them and press them again to get the most oil out of them. What is left they use as a cow feed additive.
AIS intake, 4" turbo back Magnaflow S/S exhaust
inlet & outlet pyrometers & boost gauge
Old 09-24-2007, 01:45 PM
Posting Guru

Phydeaux88 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.Phydeaux88 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Quote:
Originally Posted by turboman24
I need to be able to brew my own biodiesel at home because i am not going to spend 4 grand to convert my truck over to run on biodiesel.
You do not have to convert your truck to run on BioDiesel.

Quote:
I am just going to test the effects of biodiesel vs regualr diesel. EGT's, MPG.
You should also evaluate the production of air pollutants

Quote:
i have read things that say that without removing chemicals from the oil that act as delubricants you can burn injectors up.
Cleaning homemade BD is an absolute must.
There are several methods ranging from water washes to "dry washing" with Magnesol. Dry washing produces the best result with fewest problems.

The best source here is FABMANDELUX

Last edited by Phydeaux88; 09-24-2007 at 01:49 PM.
Old 09-24-2007, 01:45 PM