N. California Chapter Join Chapter , Leader: Nighteyez

So, we need to start looking ahead and get something together for the Project Truck

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2007, 07:40 PM
3Mike6
Postmaster
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
So, we need to start looking ahead and get something together for the Project Truck

We need to get together and figure out a good time to get with Dan, I know we have the rearend to raise, and think we can do it with what's there, or easily make something up.

We also need to figure out trannymount/angle/pinion angle...I know Dan has to go deep in his pocket for the C-6 parts, so any help anyone can provide, would be greatly appreciated...I turned over 325 to Dan for the tranny, but looks like the bill (with converter) is going to bump near 900 bucks.

Anyway, if you got a few bucks to spare, plase send it our way...

But back to topic, it'd be nice to get the rear starightened out and sitting where we want it, as well as button up the engine and such with the extra parts I dropped off and mount up the accessories, then we can look hard at the steering and see what Dan has in mind, I know we need to mod the pitman arm (I think it was) for a larger taper.

How about an October GTG up in Lake Port?

Old 09-15-2007, 10:41 PM
AnOldDog
Elder User
I'm actually planning on a couple of weeks vacation sometime in Oct-Nov. Now's the time to start thinking about a time to meet and I can be there.

Old 09-15-2007, 10:42 PM
WillyB
Post Fiend
Yikes! How did a $200 case swap grow to a $900 tranny? Can we revisit the torque converter? Stock they are $200, stall torque converters start about $350.

Also, has the steering been finished? Once that is done we can get it out of Bud's shop.

Anyway, I can come up anytime. Also, I have been holding $150 cash for parts - I thought we were to work on it long before now. I'll send it to you via paypal right now.

Old 09-16-2007, 02:19 AM
TigerDan
Hotshot
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
We discussed the options on the tranny some time back. We were looking at about 600 bucks if you'll recall. All said and done it broke down like this:

$180 labor to swap the cases. I saved a little of that $200 by tearing down the 460 C6 and supplying the bare case to the tranny shop.

$265.81 for a hand-brazed 2500 RPM stall convertor. A stock convertor wouldn't have worked for our cam and what we're doing with the truck.

$76.75 for a Dash II shift kit plus $100 labor to install it. I wanted to do it myself and save the labor but C6 valve bodies are very complicated and I probably would have screwed it up. Without a shift kit in a tranny with a stall convertor, we'd fry the tranny.

There were a couple of options that came up and I decided to go for it. One was a Kevlar 2nd gear band to withstand the stress that we'll be putting on 2nd gear, probably most of a run will be in 2nd. That's about 60 bucks extra, and along with that is a billet 2nd gear servo that puts more hydraulic pressure on that 2nd gear band, to the tune of another $146.36. I figured I'd pony up for those options if no one else wanted to.

And lastly, $36.50 for a gasket set.

So the total comes out to $865.42. The total that you guys came up with was, as Mike said, $325 so I just figured I'd eat the remaining $540.42. We have to have a stout tranny to do what we want to do with this truck and it ain't free or even cheap to build one. If we'd run it the way it was (if it had fit) we'd have toasted it in a few runs and we'd be looking at a total tranny rebuild on top of the upgrades. On the plus side, we'll have a very stout tranny that should be more than adequate for our purposes.

I've been waiting on the tranny as the guy at the tranny shop has been a little slow in getting it together for me due to personal problems. I'll pick it up Monday, the only thing he's waiting on is the Kevlar band which will be in first thing Monday (they sent him a stock band by mistake)

The truck is already out of Bud's shop, he kicked me out a month ago. I have no place to work on it at present, and it's parked outside Bud's shop till he tells me to move it elsewhere.

I haven't had the time to do anything on it anyway as I'm still fighting with getting the SHO back together along with all the other things that have cropped up lately. Besides, I just can't afford to put any more money into the project truck right now, this tranny taps me out. I've got more wrapped up in this thing than I do in my own projects...and it's not even my truck!

If we do a weekend GTG to work on it I could probably trailer it over to our shop at work and we could do it there, just for the weekend. My boss wouldn't go for installing it in his shop on any longer term basis than that...

Last edited by TigerDan; 09-16-2007 at 02:22 AM.
Old 09-16-2007, 02:44 AM
WillyB
Post Fiend
Tranny sounds good to me - and you do not have to eat the $500. I was just surprised, but that happens a lot. My brothers tell me I sound like my dad - you know, I can remember when gas was 25 cents a gallon sort of thing. Liz wont let me go grocery shopping with her - she says I complain about the prices too much.

We need to do the steering and the motor mounts, then we can put the front fenders and hood on it. Once that is done we can move it, and get it out of your hair.

Do you want me to send the $150 directly to you? I can send a check Monday so you should have it by Wednesday or Thursday. My bank does not charge for certified checks, so I can send one of those - your bank may like that better.

I have to say that in California checks suck! Or I can send it via PayPal, and you will have it tomorrow - if you have a PayPal account.

Last edited by WillyB; 09-16-2007 at 02:48 AM.
Old 09-16-2007, 02:55 AM
TigerDan
Hotshot
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Motor mounts are long since done, the engine is sitting in it right now and the front end is on it. I still have some details to work out on the steering, just haven't had the time. I have the new steering box for it here at the house.

Just give the money to Mike the next time you see him, he's the money guy, you know...

Old 09-16-2007, 03:10 AM
WillyB
Post Fiend
Can you work on the steering with the fenders in place? How about the tranny, you are not going to bolt it to the back of the engine and then install them as a unit?

Old 09-16-2007, 11:56 AM
3Mike6
Postmaster
We just sat the frontclip on the truck, so it'll be easy enough to lift off and do the steering...we should be able to stab the tranny as-is and we'll need to jump on the mount at that time as well.

Clint/Dan, check your email.