1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is it OK to use anti-seize on lug nuts?

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2007, 05:29 PM
houlis
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Is it OK to use anti-seize on lug nuts?

Is it OK to use anti-seize on lug nuts? 08 F250 Owners manual says a drop of oil between washer and lugnut. If I use anti-seize are my wheels in danger of falling off? Thanks. Brian

Old 09-14-2007, 05:39 PM
bpounds
Hotshot
Received 51 Likes on 40 Posts
I always put a bit of axle grease on the studs the first time I have wheels off a new vehicle. Just a little dab will do ya, you don't want it to run out and get on your brake discs.

Don't know if the experts will endorse that, but it's always worked for me and never caused a problem. A moly or copper bearing anti-sieze would probably be even better.

It can save galling or even breaking a stud. I've personally had both happen.

Bill

Old 09-14-2007, 05:39 PM
Help I M Stuck
Posting Guru
I've never had a problem.

Old 09-14-2007, 05:51 PM
boxcar1974
Postmaster
They absolutely wont fall off. Anti-seize does not work that way. One thing to consider that if you use a torque wrench for the nuts (you should), it might affect the proper torque. By how much you ask? I would think not enough to worry about.

Old 09-14-2007, 06:13 PM
dkf
Hotshot
Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
It helps to put some anti-seize on the rotor where the wheel bolts up.

I've had the wheel corrode fast to the rotor and was a real PITA to get off.

Old 09-14-2007, 06:24 PM
exposition
Senior User
I lost a wheel off a VW years ago after putting a drop of oil on the lugs while rotating tires . I learned my lesson . I imagine the torque value is for dry threads .

Old 09-14-2007, 08:37 PM
PupnDuck
Fleet Mechanic
Received 55 Likes on 42 Posts
The published torque value for lug nuts assumes clean dry threads. Approximately 60% of the torque applied to a fastener is used to overcome thread friction and friction between the bolt or nut face and the material its being tightened against, the rest going toward stretching the fastener which provides the clamping force. Any lubricant on the threads - and most anti-seize compounds contain metallic lubricants - will seriously reduce the trread friction. This could cause you to over tighten the studs which could shorten their life or in a case of high stress loading such as off road operation could cause a stud to fail. Personally, I clean the wheel studs with a small brass brush before installing the nuts - dry.

The following users liked this post:
Old 09-14-2007, 09:01 PM
BPofMD
FTE Legend

Received 1,097 Likes on 997 Posts
As the Super Duty wheels (mine anyway) are listed as 150 lbs ft torque, I doubt if ANYTHING is gonna make them fall off!!!!

Old 09-14-2007, 09:23 PM
WhiteEx
Senior User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I did that once to a trailer I bought and re-sold to my brother-in-law. He wanted to kill someone when the lugs and then the wheels kept coming off. I never admitted it was me (you won't tell, will you?); I said that it must have been that way from the previous owner. Listen to 'PupnDuck' and don't do it!

Old 09-14-2007, 10:27 PM
krewat
Site Administrator
Received 297 Likes on 156 Posts
The problem with anti-sieze is it WILL work it's way out and onto the wheel under centrigal force. I've seen that stuff basically flow out of things that spin

The reason they say to use oil is, most likely, to get a good torque reading.

Old 09-14-2007, 11:36 PM
tigerman
Senior User
My 1999 also says to use that drop of oil between the washer and the lug nut. But the thread on the studs are clean and dry when I torque them to the recommended value (the lug nuts and seats don't have oil/grease either). However, I put oil/grease on the studs of older trucks/cars for 40 years and never torqued them back then; nor did I ever warp or ruin anything. Go figure!

Old 09-15-2007, 02:45 AM
77hiboyboy
Posting Guru
I use it on my studs and on the backside of the wheel like someone else mentioned. First time you have to destroy a wheel or beat it off on the side of the road you will do the same. I've never had a wheel come loose from anti-seize. I use it on everything that requires lugnuts.

Old 09-15-2007, 08:54 AM
ImBroke
New User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Agree with PupnDuck. We had a demonstration by a nut and bolt company, with a torque wrench and a torque meter. It was a little while ago, so my numbers aren't 100% correct, but dry threads at let's say 80 ft lbs produced 6k of clamping force. With oil, it increased to 11k. I just remember when oil was applied to the threads, the reading skyrocketed with the same torque applied. Made a believer out of me.

Old 09-15-2007, 09:08 AM
PupnDuck
Fleet Mechanic
Received 55 Likes on 42 Posts
Originally Posted by ImBroke
Agree with PupnDuck. We had a demonstration by a nut and bolt company, with a torque wrench and a torque meter. It was a little while ago, so my numbers aren't 100% correct, but dry threads at let's say 80 ft lbs produced 6k of clamping force. With oil, it increased to 11k. I just remember when oil was applied to the threads, the reading skyrocketed with the same torque applied. Made a believer out of me.

Exactly!

You don't have to worry about a lug nut coming loose from lubricating the threads. You do have to worry about exceeding the yield point of the stud. It might not snap right now but it will be seriously weakened. It may snap the next time you torque it down or if you put a lot of stress on the wheel off road you could snap the stud. If you have wheels nuts with a captive washer on the end they usually recommend a drop of engine oil between the nut and the captive washer to prevent galling of those fancy aluminum wheels but lug nuts should always be torqued dry unless otherwise specified by the manufacturer.

This is true not only for wheels but for pretty much all threaded fasteners. I've seen head gaskets fail on race engines because the person assembling the engine lubricated the threads on the head bolts and then tightened them to spec. The bolts were stretched beyond their yield point and actually produced LESS clamping force than they would have if installed properly. It is possible, through careful engineering to come up with appropriate torque values for lubricated threads but then you have to use the exact same lubricant that was used in testing. Oil isn't the same as anti-seize and there are a dozen different types of anti-seize - some with metal some with ceramic additives, etc. Dry is dry.

Old 09-15-2007, 09:37 AM
dkf
Hotshot
Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
Originally Posted by krewat
The problem with anti-sieze is it WILL work it's way out and onto the wheel under centrigal force. I've seen that stuff basically flow out of things that spin

The reason they say to use oil is, most likely, to get a good torque reading.
Yep, it will do that.

Can't put on too much.

Wipe off any excess that slings out.

Quick Reply: Is it OK to use anti-seize on lug nuts?