General Automotive Discussion

Ford 4.6 bad Head gasket or Manifold

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2007, 10:16 PM
taxijohn
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Ford 4.6 bad Head gasket or Manifold

High all. My 4.6 started to leak coolant near rear drivers side of engine. Could not figure the source. Topped off the reservoir and drove a bit more. A bit later, white smoke started coming out of the drivers side tail pipe (dual exhaust with "T") more then the passengers side.

Pulled over and checked the oil, it's clean, no milky look. There is also no evidence of oil in coolant, but I will drain it all in the AM and see. Coolant is coming out from the driver's side tailpipe, 90% more than the passengers side. Car is missing (duh) stalls after a little bit.

I am praying that it is the intake sucking in coolant. I don't think it's a cracked head or gasket. This vehicle does have the "plastic" intake, known to crack, fail.

I am going to
1) Pull and note all spark plugs to narrow down the problem cylinders.
2) Do a compression test on the "wet" ones.
3) Remove and check gasket on manifold.
4) Check the water bypass tube.

Can anyone else add any other methods I might be missing to narrow this down before I start taking out the Head(s) and invest in a 12 pack?

Thanks in advance,
John

Old 09-15-2007, 09:34 AM
osbornk
Postmaster
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Several years of the 4.6 had a problem with cracked intake manifolds. I have a 98 and I got a notice from Ford that they extended the warranty (but I was past that anyway).