General NON-Automotive Conversation No Political, Sexual or Religious topics please.

Network question

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2007, 10:36 PM
screwy
Cargo Master
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Network question

Well I’ve searched and searched the internet but I cannot find any useful help, so I’ve come here. I have two networks, one wireless and one wired. The wireless network has the internet connection while the wired just has 2 computers. I’d really like to keep the two networks separate but I need the files on one network and the internet on the other and lucky me I have 2 network cards on the computer I want to use, but it isn’t working out. When I have the wired disabled I get internet just fine; when I have both enabled I get the files on the computers just fine, but no internet. It appears to be searching the wired network for a connection. I’ve played with IP ranges, subnet masks, setting the order of the cards… despite being able to build a computer from scratch; I just honestly don’t know that much about networks despite every desire to learn. All the computers are running XP Home. Anyone know how I can make this work?

Old 09-13-2007, 10:42 PM
herman391
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unless I'm misreading your question I'm pretty sure that you can only be on one network at a time, so you will only be able to log on to one or the other at a time but not both. But then again I'm in the same boat as you I know a great deal about computers but networks just boggle my mind so I could be totally wrong.

Old 09-13-2007, 10:43 PM
jake00
FTE is my crack
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
the easiest thing, reconfigure the network to have working internet and the computers (with files) you want on the same network.

Old 09-13-2007, 11:58 PM
ford2go
Cargo Master
Received 142 Likes on 87 Posts
What you want SHOULD be doable. I believe that I've seen it in an XP book, but I can't remember which one. If I understand correctly, you want internet on one computer and a local net connecting that computer to some others.
(with no internet).

You might try your local library for XP books. I'm sure that I saw that configuration described, but I did not note all of the magic incantations that you had to perform. The boook MIGHT have been "XP in a nutshell" or even
"XP for Dummies" .

Net setup is easier these days then when you had to do it in DOS, but it can still be strange.

ford2go