6.4L Power Stroke Diesel Engine fitted to 2008 - 2010 F250, F350 and F450 pickup trucks and F350 + Cab Chassis

Should I buy an 08

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2007, 02:16 PM
georgedo
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Should I buy an 08

I am about to place an order for an 08. But after reading about the poor fuel milage and problems should I wait. This would be my first desiel and I want to keep it for at least 200,000 miles, which in my case would be about 10 years. The reason I am considering a diesel is for towing capacity.

Old 09-10-2007, 03:14 PM
begger
Junior User
If your main concern is towing capacity, by all means look favorably at the 08 Super Duty. If your concern is fuel mileage, I don't know where you are going to look, GM and Dodge are having many of the same problems (some much worse) than Ford.

I bought my truck to pull trailers. It does that beautifully. I wish it got better mileage, but that's not what I bought it for.

Good Luck.

Old 09-10-2007, 03:34 PM
pugster
Senior User
Red face Average MPG 12.6

2008 F250, 4x4, 6.4L, 6000 miles here.

You'll get 12.6 mpg average - I'm not ******* it or racing away from traffic lights. I do a 50% blend of highway/city; highway 19 mpg w/out towing. Pulling my boat lowers to 11 on highway, 9 combined.

6.0L & 7.3L owners say something is wrong - Ford repeatedly says nothing is wrong.

I think that's probably why you don't see mileage ratings on these vehicles - gives us/them nothing to aim for.

Old 09-10-2007, 04:26 PM
Duncan10
Elder User
Its a truck its designed to pull. If I was worried about fuel mileage I wouldn't have bought a truck I would have bought a little putt putt car. Sure higher would be better. I will wait a bit to see what its getting but it looks like 15 or so combined. So that is as good as my 99 Dodge 1500 with a 318 got. But talk about power to pull and everything else about the truck, no comparision..Just my $0.02

Old 09-10-2007, 06:41 PM
SouthTexasDiesel
Elder User
Averaging 17-19 highway in my 6-speed dually. Driving habits greatly effect the mileage you get on these new rigs. If you do a lot of city driving expect to get around 12 mpg.

Old 09-10-2007, 10:11 PM
6.0 powerstroker
Junior User
having only had mine for less than a week I would say YES..... I love this truck. I owned my 2003 6.0 for 4 yrs and did not have a single problem with it. This 2008 though is far and above my 03 I don't mind the mileage (says I am getting 13.6 with less than 250 miles mixed town/hwy) Comfort/interior/ride/power/functionality this truck has it all and I really didn't know how nice it was until I bought it and get to look at it and drive it everyday.

Old 09-10-2007, 11:16 PM
biz4two
Lead Driver
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Arrow

Originally Posted by georgedo
I am about to place an order for an 08. But after reading about the poor fuel milage and problems should I wait. This would be my first desiel and I want to keep it for at least 200,000 miles, which in my case would be about 10 years. The reason I am considering a diesel is for towing capacity.
IMHO...No. Do not buy a '08 SD with a 6.4L PSD...if you are planning on owning it for 10 years. Here is what I see as valid reasons...

1. This is going to be a short run engine...and in 2010 FORD will have an all NEW in house diesel which will replace the 6.4L PSD.

2. With the space limitations on the 6.4L PSD...FORD designed the cab be removed for work on the engine. Right now...not an issue...everything is new. When it becomes an issue is down the road after 6 or 7+ years. Things begin to rust...and that could cause complications on cab removal. Especially with cab mount bushings, etc.

3. Every time the cab must be removed for work on the 6.4L PSD (which FORD allows 6.1 billable hours under warranty), the coolant needs to be checked for air pockets...and so does the tranny. If not done right by the dealership...more problems down the road.

4. 1st generation regen. Enough said.

If you plan on owning the SD 6.4L PSD while it still has a warranty, then I would not worry so much. Just after the warranty ends and any repairs will be extremely expensive.

biz

Old 09-10-2007, 11:40 PM
littledre1
Senior User
Originally Posted by biz4two
IMHO...No. Do not buy a '08 SD with a 6.4L PSD...if you are planning on owning it for 10 years. Here is what I see as valid reasons...

1. This is going to be a short run engine...and in 2010 FORD will have an all NEW in house diesel which will replace the 6.4L PSD.

2. With the space limitations on the 6.4L PSD...FORD designed the cab be removed for work on the engine. Right now...not an issue...everything is new. When it becomes an issue is down the road after 6 or 7+ years. Things begin to rust...and that could cause complications on cab removal. Especially with cab mount bushings, etc.

3. Every time the cab must be removed for work on the 6.4L PSD (which FORD allows 6.1 billable hours under warranty), the coolant needs to be checked for air pockets...and so does the tranny. If not done right by the dealership...more problems down the road.

4. 1st generation regen. Enough said.

If you plan on owning the SD 6.4L PSD while it still has a warranty, then I would not worry so much. Just after the warranty ends and any repairs will be extremely expensive.

biz
The cab removal thing is what has kept me from buying a 08. One of the main reasons that I got a diesel was for it's longevity. My dads 96 250 7.3 has 360K on it and it's still going real strong. I was terrified about the truck coming off of warranty and getting charged 6+ hrs of labor when they would have to work on the engine. At least with my 7.3 I can hoist my fat a%$ into the engine bay to do some minor work if needed. But if you plan to get rid of it before the warranty runs out then by all means buy it!

Old 09-11-2007, 01:01 AM
rollerstud98
Postmaster

they remove the cabs on the 6.0's aswell, even when 7.3's go into the dealerships they remove cabs now because it makes it easier for the tech to do a lot of the work, personally i do not see a problem with it and say go ahead and get it

Old 09-11-2007, 11:27 AM
avmike
Junior User
Smile

Do you really think Ford's in house diesel wont require cab removal? I tend to think it will unless they develop an new long dog house which will require a chassis redesign. I don't think they are going to go to that expense. Do you?

I purchased the F350 supercab with the thought (as with every other vehicle) of spending a couple thousand dollars in 8-10 years to keep iit n tip-top shape.

If you need this truck, I would have no hesitation. It is a great piece of machinery and does everything I want.

As for the gas mileage, I tow a 31' travel trailer, and if I keep the speed at 60-65, I get about 12.5 MPG. If I get above that for just a small amount of time, my mileage drops to about 9.5 to 10 MPG.

I love the truck!

Old 09-11-2007, 01:39 PM
stangman05gt
Junior User
I had an 05GT 5speed mustang and traded it on my08 TWIN turbo diesil and dont regret it. Do it Brother.

Old 09-12-2007, 12:13 AM
biz4two
Lead Driver
Arrow

Originally Posted by avmike
Do you really think Ford's in house diesel wont require cab removal? I tend to think it will unless they develop an new long dog house which will require a chassis redesign. I don't think they are going to go to that expense. Do you?
When I was talking about FORD's in house diesel...It was more towards the point of the 6.4L PSD going to be a short run engine. In 10+ years that could create an issue with parts being more expensive than a 7.3L PSD that was out more years.

Unfortunately...I believe FORD will still have the cab removal process in 2010 when the NEW SD roles off the line. However...it would be in FORD's best interest to develop a tilt front-end...IMO!

Anyone have an ear at FORD? Might suggest the tilt front-end...(hint...hint...hint).

biz

Old 09-12-2007, 10:08 AM
kimminau2
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
And right now it is all assumption that whatever motor Ford comes out with will be a long run motor and will be a good motor. I certainly hope it is a fine motor because I will probably be ready for another one by then, but it could be a dog and only last 2 or 3 years, leaving you wishing you had a 6.4.
Who knows what is going to happen in the future. If you need a great truck that will tow or haul whatever you want and do it in style and comfort, buy an 08 and enjoy. If you don't need a truck for 2 or 3 years than wait.
All new vehicles are expensive to fix, there is not going to be one that comes out that is easy to work on and Joe Blow in his garage can work on. Simple things like changing the fluids and filters are about all that the Joe can do on these motors anyways, so you are talking about 6 hours of shop labor that Ford allows to be billed on warranty work. I would be willing to bet that as the service techs become more familiar with the process that time will be reduced and unless your dealer is a real crook you will get charged the amount of time it actually takes. Of course the reverse is true and it could take longer, but then go find someone that knows what they are doing.

Old 09-12-2007, 10:27 AM
6.9OriginalDiesel
Junior User
If Ford comes out with its own motor in 2010 they will have to rush to get the motor designed and then test the motor for a certain amount of time. You have to figure that the motor will have a lot more problems than when the 6.4 had when it came out. Also I heard that the diesel option is going to be around $2,000 more for the years to come. (not sure if thats true)

Old 09-14-2007, 09:32 PM
6.0 powerstroker
Junior User
I have no idea if this is true but I saw the "Superduty travelling road show" guys at a fuel station here in PA. These guys go around the country showing off the new trucks. I asked him about Ford developing their own motor for 2010 and according to him that is only for the F 150. He claimed that Ford and Navistar have worked out their issues and all future Superduty diesels are still going to come from Navistar.

Quick Reply: Should I buy an 08