'94 460 efi on engine stand - oil from exhaust port - from where?

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2007, 12:34 PM
buffalobob
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'94 460 efi on engine stand - oil from exhaust port - from where?

have my 460 efi (1994) on an engine stand ....still together. It ran fine but the previous owner broke off 6 exhaust bolts and they must have hardened because they cant be drilled....also main rear seal needs replacement & soft plugs were bad....
- just some background to establish what we are looking at....I wasnt planning on taking anything other than the pan and front cover off - might as well ck timing chain....

I drained the oil from the oil pan and rotated the engine on its side (on the stand) to access the broken studs and soft plugs....left it over night and next morning a puddle of oil on the floor coming from the front exhaust port

MY QUESTION is ...WTF????.....anyone have ideas on WHERE - maybe a cup of oil came from????? - do I have a problem I didnt know about?

cant imagine because engine didnt smoke - ran good...as far as I know....only way for oil to get in exhaust port is thru valve guide from head...maybe small bit of remaining oil from pan collected under valve cover ...when engine rotated on its side??

Old 09-11-2007, 08:20 PM
Aerodyne
New User
Oil could have drained past that piston and out the valve.

Aerodyne inE TN

Old 09-12-2007, 12:51 PM
buffalobob
Senior User
thanks for the reply.....since I drained the oil from the pan I guess I thought there wouldnt have been that much to settle in that one cylinder and go past the rings - O well