Louisiana Chapter Join Chapter, Leader: rbloodhound

Looking for a New Orleans Animal Lover Volunteer

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2007, 10:36 AM
mattadams
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Looking for a New Orleans Animal Lover Volunteer

OK this might seem like a weird post, but I am really looking for someone in the New Orleans area who might be able to help me with getting a katrina dog back to its rightful owners. You don't need to take the animal in or anything, I just need someone to confirm that the address these people gave us is a true address, for a real house (not a FEMA trailer, etc.) and if they can just take some pictures of the house for me, maybe go up to the door and confirm the people living there are who they say they are.

Here's the story. After Katrina, several dogs were evacuated to Colorado. Some got adopted fairly quickly, others took a while longer because of behavioral and emotional issues. Most shelters euthanized animals after 90 days no matter if they came from Katrina or not, but we are a no-kill so we still have a few. One of them is a female (breed left out for legal issues) who came to us in real bad shape with some real aggression issues named (Name left out, as it could be a legal thing). She was one of the last dogs evacuated from Katrina so she had severe heartworm, some skin issues, and some behavioral issues. We've been working with her, but so far nobody else to adopt her. A few weeks ago, the local news did a story on her.
Long story short, a family who claims to be her owners from New Orleans found the story, they'd still been searching for her all this time and had no idea where she was but were searching the net for Katrina dogs constantly. They have sent us pictures of her and it occurs it is indeed there dog. They told us her original name and even years later, her ears seem to perk up when she hears it.
We can't in good faith though, return the dog to them if we feel their living situation is unsafe, or if they are living in a packed trailer with a large aggressive dog, etc. I know it sounds terrible, but we just can't. She is a large aggressive dog and could do a lot of damage to herself and to others if she was put back in the wrong situation, and we'd constantly have that on us.
Once we get the official ok, I would need someone (with the owners permission) to check out there house for us. It may be as simple as driving by and taking some photographs and sending them to me, or may be more in-depth, even going in the house and checking it out if you are the type that is interested in it.

One thought we had was to send one of our staff or volunteers down there on a flight with her to check out the house and return back with her if it wasn't what the owners have told us. But with this dog, we don't want ot stress her out mroe then we have to if theres a chance we'll be bringing her back to the shelter after all is said and done.

Old 09-28-2007, 01:42 PM
rbloodhound
FTE Chapter Leader
Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts
It is nice to see people caring about animals so much. Most people or places would have put her down months ago without a second thought.

I'm in north LA so I won't be much help around the NO area.

Maybe Blksiryder or some one else will see thie post.

Old 09-28-2007, 02:00 PM
rangergurl04
Senior User
hey, i replied on ftw also i can still help if needed

Old 09-28-2007, 07:25 PM
packoo
Junior User
Thumbs up

If no one can help, PM me and i will see if I can do something... I live in Metairie, LA which is 15 minutes from the SuperDome and 5 minutes from the NO Airport...

Grew up in a house with Dogs, Cats, Rabbits, Birds, Fish and took care of the Raccoons that lived in the Oak trees in our area... I guess I am an animal person... My mom couldnt see a stray and not take it in...

Very nice of people to help out in the city's time of need... I would like to thank you and everyone who helped...