Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Performance, Engines & Troubleshooting > Ford V6 > 3.8 & 4.2L V6
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

Welcome to Ford-Trucks Forums!
Welcome to Ford-Trucks.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Ford-Trucks Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 09-10-2007, 02:50 PM
New User

plankofwood64 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Engine swap snafu

I'm new to this site. This is my first post.

I bought a 1998 f-150 with a blown 4.2. I bought a remanufactured 4.2, put it in, etc...

this is my problem - when I connect the battery the interior components; radio, idiot lights, fan, horn, all work but the engine won't crank. I'm trying to prime the oil pump but can't. I blow a 25 amp fuse (the one located under the hood) whenever I connect the positive cable to the battery.

I took my multimeter, set it to "tone", and touched the negative to the negative post of the battery (with the cable connected) and the positive to the positive cable, (NOT on the battery) and I got a tone. So somewhere I have a positive grounding out to something.

Have anyone experienced this? Am I overlooking something obvious with my connections?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you

Eric
Old 09-10-2007, 10:07 PM
Posting Guru

dragogt has a great reputation on FTE.dragogt has a great reputation on FTE.dragogt has a great reputation on FTE.dragogt has a great reputation on FTE.
why did the engine blow? where did you get the truck, friend, auction, E-bay?

how's the cable going to the starter?

Quote:
Originally Posted by captain p4 View Post
If you can't tell if you have a body lift or not maybe you shouldn't be giving people advice in the offroad forum????
Old 09-11-2007, 06:03 AM
New User

It used to be a Haz Mat fleet vehicle out of North Carolina. I bought it from a friend whose son-in-law works for Haz mat.

The exact reason why the motor blew is beyond me, but it did throw a rod through the oil pan. (a hole the size of your index finger)

I bought a remanufactered engine, (long block) from Green Leaf Motors out of Monroe Georgia.

It's wired to the starter like so: ground from the battery to the ground bolt on the starter, positive hooked up to it's post on the selenoid. When I connect the cables to the battery it blows a 25amp fuse that's located on the right side of the engine bay in the fuse box located there.

I've got a Haynes repair manual, Chiltons FYI online manual, and the starter is hooked up per their instructions.

I'm at a lost here. Any ideas? Perhaps there's a chasis ground I'm missing? I know theres a ground wire connected to the frame by the right front tire that goes to the starter. Any others? There's also a ground wire connected to the back of the engine bays wall, (just above left of the intake), grounded to the wall) that I have no idea where it goes. Any more?

Last edited by plankofwood64; 09-11-2007 at 06:12 AM.
Old 09-11-2007, 08:31 AM
Posting Guru

dragogt has a great reputation on FTE.dragogt has a great reputation on FTE.dragogt has a great reputation on FTE.dragogt has a great reputation on FTE.
I'm not familiar with those trucks, but you might try posting in the 1997 -2003 forum,
got some pretty smart guys there, should be able to get you fixed up.

I just thew out the starter as a w-t-h.

good luck

Quote:
If you can't tell if you have a body lift or not maybe you shouldn't be giving people advice in the offroad forum????
Old 09-11-2007, 02:54 PM
New User

for reasons I can't explain........ It cranked.

Now what's the procedure for priming the oil pump?

Any reply is greatly appreciated
Old 09-12-2007, 10:39 AM
Posting Guru

disable coil, and fuel --- (unplug the coil, trip the fuel pump safety switch) and spin Until you get pressure

then, don't forget to reconnect you coil and reset the fuel pump. and you should be good to go

have fun

Quote:
Old 09-12-2007, 01:43 PM
New User

Thank you!

It worked like a charm. Now all I have to do is connect the vacuum lines to their correct location and I'm golden.

Again, some help on this woulkd be greatly appreciated. I have the schematic from Chilton's DIY online manual, but it's all greek to me.

Anyone have photos or some other means to help a novice along?

Thank you.

Eric
Old 09-12-2007, 03:21 PM
Posting Guru

congrats bubba,

sorry, but i don't have any info on those truck's.

have you asked the guys in the 1997- 2004 forum, they should have every thing you need to hook up your vacuum lines

Quote:
Old 09-12-2007, 03:21 PM