Sponsored by: DP Tuner

6-speed fluid change advice needed

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2007, 11:20 AM
77hiboyboy
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
6-speed fluid change advice needed

For those that remember I broke the back section of my zf-6 speed. Finally got around to fixing it, 230 dollars in parts. I was going to change the oil when I had it out on the ground until I was quoted 21 dollars a quart for fords synthetic atf. I was in a hurry to get it back together so I plugged the vent and cooler lines so not to spill any. I've used royal purple products before with no problems, but not sure if I should use the synchromax manual transmission fluid, or the max atf, synthetic. Or if anyone could reccomend another product to use.

Old 09-10-2007, 11:50 AM
Fat Diesel
Logistics Pro

Received 98 Likes on 54 Posts
I've used Mobil 1 Syn ATF several times and have tortured it to 230* without issue.

Old 09-10-2007, 02:19 PM
pullinair
Elder User
Lightbulb

A while back I had mentioned to cookie that I was running the RP syncromax in my ZF6. He told me that royal purple specifies that if your tranny is a ford manual tranny that requires ATF, run the RP auto tranny fluid. I dropped the synchromax and replace with Mobil 1 syn. That was over a $100 dollar mistake.

While you are dropping the tranny fluid, stop by your local Napa and pick up a can of tranny flush. This way you can flush you lines and cooler in order to start from fresh. I did this before and I was suprised at what came out of the lines. Mostly black crap. A can was like 10.00 dollars.

Last edited by pullinair; 09-10-2007 at 02:23 PM.
Old 09-10-2007, 02:45 PM
Kwikkordead
Fleet Owner
Received 789 Likes on 601 Posts
I second the tranny cooler flush. When I replaced my tranny last year, I did the same and was shocked at how much crud came out, not to mention how much better it flowed afterward!

Old 10-26-2009, 05:37 PM
Old and Busted
Junior User
I know this is an old thread. Having trouble finding a link to flushing the fuild in the ZF transmission. Anyone have it or have any other thoughs on fluid?

Thanks!

Old 10-26-2009, 06:48 PM
Rockrunner86
Senior User
Originally Posted by Old and Busted
I know this is an old thread. Having trouble finding a link to flushing the fuild in the ZF transmission. Anyone have it or have any other thoughs on fluid?

Thanks!

Go pick up a can of tranny cooler flush. Its a rattle can that can screw on to your cooler lines. Blow it out with the can, then some compressed air and reconnect, check fluid level and rock on...

Old 11-29-2009, 01:49 PM
Old and Busted
Junior User
Hi guys....need some quick help!

I'm changing my tranmission fuild as we speak. My manual said it was 3.4 quarts capacity....after making a mess and overflowing my catch pan it's obviously not. Does anyone have the correct capacity for the ATF?....I can't find it anywhere.

Next problem is I didn't buy enough ATF!

Thanks!

Old 11-29-2009, 02:06 PM
Old and Busted
Junior User
Hi guys....need some quick help!

I'm changing my tranmission fuild as we speak. My manual said it was 3.4 quarts capacity....after making a mess and overflowing my catch pan it's obviously not. Does anyone have the correct capacity for the ATF?....I can't find it anywhere.

Next problem is I didn't buy enough ATF!

Thanks!
Little update....I'm going to put the old ATF back for today as the sun is falling fast. Don't want to rush this and waste the new SYN ATF.

After digging around deep I found one site that claims the capacity is 13 Pints/6.5 Quarts if you have the cooler. There are two lines coming out of the transmission on the right side...I would assume these lead to the cooler?

Is there a step by step for newbies like myself on changing the fluid correctly and smartly?

Feel like a *******! I'm still use to the small stuff on the SAABs and Volvos!

Old 11-29-2009, 03:15 PM
Izzy351
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I actually never new the manuals had a cooler...

I'm guessing there's some kind of mechanical pump to push it through the cooler. Where is the cooler located? Up front?

Old 11-29-2009, 03:34 PM
Old and Busted
Junior User
Originally Posted by Izzy351
I actually never new the manuals had a cooler...

I'm guessing there's some kind of mechanical pump to push it through the cooler. Where is the cooler located? Up front?
Light faded fast, but I traced the lines forward and they appear to lead to a cooler under the main radiator. There must be some kind of pump inside the transmission since the lines coming out the side of the transmission appear to be above the fill plug.

I managed to get 90% of what came out back into the transmission. I'm sure it's slightly low...should be ok for light driving tomorrow. Weather looks like crap tomorrow....my garage needs to be taller!

Old 11-29-2009, 03:39 PM
fordzilla01
Senior User
I was surprised that the Manual actually has lines that connect to a section of the Radiator. I will drop the rest of the fluid out of my tranny when I go to put my new motor in.
Curious, if it takes 3.4L of fluid, does that include the cooler fluid?

Old 11-29-2009, 07:13 PM
bfife
still plays with trucks

The Ford version does indeed have a pump and cooler. GM used the same tranny and they didn't have a cooler.
Interesting about the Royal Purple. I was considering going to the syncromax, now I guess not.

Barney

Old 11-29-2009, 07:17 PM
Izzy351
Post Fiend
Yeah, I tried syn gear oil in my '84 Mustang's T5, and it blew apart. Bad advice from a "knowledgeable" mechanic. Worked out though -- I ended up with a C6 auto & 351W to put in it...

Stick with ATF.

Old 11-30-2009, 07:11 AM
Old and Busted
Junior User
Little update....I'm going to put the old ATF back for today as the sun is falling fast. Don't want to rush this and waste the new SYN ATF.

After digging around deep I found one site that claims the capacity is 13 Pints/6.5 Quarts if you have the cooler. There are two lines coming out of the transmission on the right side...I would assume these lead to the cooler?

Is there a step by step for newbies like myself on changing the fluid correctly and smartly?

Feel like a *******! I'm still use to the small stuff on the SAABs and Volvos!
Bump.

Hoping to beat the rain today. Anyone have any words of wisdom or ideas?

Old 11-30-2009, 10:06 PM
Kwikkordead
Fleet Owner
Received 789 Likes on 601 Posts
Bump.

Hoping to beat the rain today. Anyone have any words of wisdom or ideas?
I never kept track of how much, but it needs to be filled up to level with the bottom of the fill port.

Quick Reply: 6-speed fluid change advice needed