Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Diesel > 1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel SPONSORED BY:

Welcome to Ford-Trucks Forums!
Welcome to Ford-Trucks.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Ford-Trucks Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 11-30-2009, 10:47 PM
Junior User

Old and Busted is starting off with a positive reputation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kwikkordead View Post
I never kept track of how much, but it needs to be filled up to level with the bottom of the fill port.
Thanks...I've since hunted around and found it's about 6.5 quarts. Most of my concern was having the wrong info on the capacity....I only had a rough guess on what I was able to recover that didn't spill.

Do you know if the cooler drains back into the transmission when the motor is off? Plan on changing the fluid tomorrow and wanted to know if I'm good with just filling to the bottom of the fill port or if I need to recheck once the cooler has 'refilled' itself
Old 12-01-2009, 08:31 AM
Post Fiend

Kwikkordead has a superb reputationKwikkordead has a superb reputationKwikkordead has a superb reputationKwikkordead has a superb reputationKwikkordead has a superb reputationKwikkordead has a superb reputationKwikkordead has a superb reputationKwikkordead has a superb reputationKwikkordead has a superb reputationKwikkordead has a superb reputationKwikkordead has a superb reputation
http://www.facebook.com/http://facebook.com/Kwikkordead#!/Kwikkordead
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old and Busted View Post
Thanks...I've since hunted around and found it's about 6.5 quarts. Most of my concern was having the wrong info on the capacity....I only had a rough guess on what I was able to recover that didn't spill.

Do you know if the cooler drains back into the transmission when the motor is off? Plan on changing the fluid tomorrow and wanted to know if I'm good with just filling to the bottom of the fill port or if I need to recheck once the cooler has 'refilled' itself
It doesn't drain back.
Besides, having too much oil in the tranny will only result in airation.
Just fill it to the bottom of the port and drive. It will be fine.
2000 VW Passat 1.8t Tiptronic. ZZOOOOOMMMM!!!
You cannot explain or explain away the power of God.
Old 12-01-2009, 05:01 PM
Junior User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kwikkordead View Post
It doesn't drain back.
Besides, having too much oil in the tranny will only result in airation.
Just fill it to the bottom of the port and drive. It will be fine.
Thanks. Good to know....guess I was just over thinking the whole thing.
Old 12-02-2009, 05:50 PM
Junior User

Finished with flushing the transmission fluid today. I picked up the transmission flush can from NAPA, but was unable to get the cooler lines to back off....bummer. It will have to wait.

I've been thinking of adding a transmission fluid filter to the cooler lines. Dieselsite.com has a nice kit. Dan or anyone played around with this yet for your 6 speed? Is it overkill?
Old 03-09-2012, 10:09 PM
Senior User

dmanshane is starting off with a positive reputation.
na na na boduke01yeehaw na
i am running john deere 80w/140 synthetic gear oil in mine she likes it shifts nice when warm little harder when cold but quiter no more of that notorious grinding noise
2000 f350 xlt srw 4x4 6spd manual mods are CCv,harpoon hpx, frx, coolant by pass filter, foil delete, iah delete, Ocv, Garrett 38r turbo ,6637 mod, 4 inch straight turbo back ranch hand front bumper with skid plate, fog lights, ebpv exhaust break, stancore gpr, window switch blue led, heater control blue led, and other cab bulbs blue led, ts 6 position chip... stock, high idle, 50, 75, 100, 140,
Old 03-09-2012, 11:54 PM
Post Fiend

4inchlovin has much to be proud of4inchlovin has much to be proud of4inchlovin has much to be proud of4inchlovin has much to be proud of4inchlovin has much to be proud of4inchlovin has much to be proud of4inchlovin has much to be proud of4inchlovin has much to be proud of4inchlovin has much to be proud of
Quik wheres Stewart with one of his "revive old threads" pics....
Old 03-10-2012, 12:03 AM

Stewart_H has a superb reputationStewart_H has a superb reputationStewart_H has a superb reputationStewart_H has a superb reputationStewart_H has a superb reputationStewart_H has a superb reputationStewart_H has a superb reputationStewart_H has a superb reputationStewart_H has a superb reputationStewart_H has a superb reputationStewart_H has a superb reputation
Here you are, Nolan.

Click the image to open in full size.

Stewart
2000 PSD Excursion 4x4: 38R, JW trans, F5, MBRP, AFE, OBA and Pre-Pump, V & B codes
Never Fry Bacon NAKED!
Old 03-11-2012, 01:39 AM
Post Fiend

4inchlovin has much to be proud of4inchlovin has much to be proud of4inchlovin has much to be proud of4inchlovin has much to be proud of4inchlovin has much to be proud of4inchlovin has much to be proud of4inchlovin has much to be proud of4inchlovin has much to be proud of4inchlovin has much to be proud of
ewy.... ah... thanks?
Old 03-11-2012, 06:38 AM
Junior User

dieselbronc is starting off with a positive reputation.
I'd like to run the 85/140 in mine for the noise they make ,and the miles it has, but was told not to, is it ok to ?
Old 03-11-2012, 10:19 AM
Senior User

dmanshane is starting off with a positive reputation.
na na na boduke01yeehaw na
My theory is is fine it's gears what can it hurt semi transmissions run gear oil and the back boxes are sncronized yes the Down side is it shifts harder while cold sometimes in the 1-4 gears you have to float shift cuz the clutch don't help lol but let her warm uP for ten minutes or so she shifts like a dream
Old 03-11-2012, 07:19 PM
Junior User

dieselbronc is starting off with a positive reputation.
Im talkin about the fact that it came with ATF switching to gear oil,besides the flow thru the cooler.
Old 03-11-2012, 07:19 PM

Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Diesel > 1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel

Tags
6speed, 73, 73l, changing, fluid, ford, forum, purple, royal, spd, speed, synchromax, transmission, trucks, zf