Notices
1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks 1987 - 1996 Ford F-150, F-250, F-350 and larger pickups - including the 1997 heavy-duty F250/F350+ trucks
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

excessive play in the steering

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2007, 11:27 PM
godblessmud
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
excessive play in the steering

so everyone knows that as vehicles age, the steering becomes looser and looser, thats just to be expected, and my truck is no exception, however im starting to think that enough is enough. i meen i can turn my wheel between 10 and 2 o clock positions freely without ANY responce...and thats at freeway speeds (65-70)
id like to reduce that alittle. i dont expect to acheive like-new tightness, hell i wouldnt even want that, i enjoy a looser steering system but i do think that where its at now is alittle out of line.
so how can i reduce that amount of play? id like to get it down to only being loose 11-1 o clock

Old 09-10-2007, 11:33 PM
89frankenford
Elder User
Lightbulb

well first check your tie rod ends. they could be worn out giing you the excessive play. also while your there check the ball joints too. if all is good you may need a new steering box. im assuming its original and it might be worn out

Old 09-10-2007, 11:37 PM
radialarm
Senior User
If all your tie-rod ends and linkages are in good shape. there should be a free-play adjuster on your steering gear(it looks like a bolt with a screwdriver slot in it and a locknut holding it). To adjust it jack up your front end, loosen the locknut and tighten it a little at a time checking the freeplay as you go. Don't get it too tight or it will damage it. Then hold the screwdriver while you tighten the locknut.

Old 09-11-2007, 12:27 AM
fmr9
Elder User
When I got my truck, it was scarey to take it above 50mph. Had the alignment checked and all the front end componets. Mechanic said everything is worn some, but nothing is worn out. Over a period of time, I did 3 things that solved the problem.
First, I carefully adjusted the preload on the steering box. Get it too tight and you will have a big problem. This helped a lot, but still not good.
Took off the BFG tires with the AT tread, and put on new set of Michelins with a M&S tread. This also made a really big difference.
Finaly installed a steering stabilizer. This also made a significant difference.
Now the truck is a little loose to drive, but I'm real comfortable with it. Wife likes to drive it and before she was scared to drive it at any speed.
Good luck Frank