Competition Diesel racing, sleds, dynos, power tuning and max performance.

horse power

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2007, 06:30 AM
dartdiesel
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
horse power

howdy boys, I'm new here so I may need a little help. But I'm all ears ,any way I have two '85' F250 ext cabs with the 6.9L in them . I'm going to rebiuld one to drag race . One of them has a banks turbo on it and is an automatic. Is this a good combination and how much horse power can I sqweeze out of that 6.9L.

Old 08-31-2007, 11:39 PM
turboman24
Senior User
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Well 6.9s are not really good engines to make a lot of power with. The biggest factor being the ability to hold the head to the block even with studs. The second being able to flow tons of fuel. It can make some pretty good power at the expense of a big hole in your wallet. If you are going to you would need to drop the compression ratio by shaving the pistons and getting head studs. Then you could run in the 20lbs of boost with the wastegate shut. To get past 30lbs your are going to need to have your pumped worked over and some custom injectors. The big problem though is when you drop the compression to be able to run that much boost then it gets hard to start in cold weather. Wish you well though with your project

Old 10-07-2007, 06:14 PM
George D.
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You can also get heads with fire rings in the heads to help keep the boost in you might also want to try the IDI fourm there pretty knowledgeable over there.

Last edited by IB Tim; 10-09-2007 at 09:34 AM.
Old 10-08-2007, 04:47 PM
lukecline
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
you might as well drop a cummins in it.