1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Cool Tips and tricks

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2007, 03:16 PM
panel 56
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks Bobbytnm,
All that information will be very helpful. I also have a '38 Nash business couple that I work on from time to time. I am in the process of saling it if you know of anyone looking for one. It is in really good shape for its age.

Old 01-09-2008, 12:58 PM
sid318
Junior User
Hi all , i use blue tac to hold nuts in my spanner when i can't reach them myself, ie manifold bolts & alike.

Old 01-09-2008, 04:33 PM
panel 56
New User
What Is Blue Tac?

Old 01-09-2008, 05:11 PM
AXracer
Hotshot
Received 53 Likes on 34 Posts
Here we call it "Fun Tac", it a a removable and reusable adhesive putty sold in the stationary and school supply departments. It comes in a small blue or white block about the size of an eraser and is promoted for hanging posters and pictures on walls without damage. I use it a lot to temporarily stick things together. I even stick gemstones into place on a ring with it so customers can get a feel for what it might look like mounted. The more you warm it by squeezing and stretching it in your fingers the softer and stickier it gets.

Old 01-09-2008, 06:56 PM
jniolon
old and in the way
Received 717 Likes on 257 Posts
dry cut metal saw

I don't know if this qualifies as a "tip or trick" or more of a tool recommendations.

Back a few months ago Joe Gaddy told me about a dry cut metal saw blade that could replace an abrasive blade in a chop saw. They are made by Bullet Industries. The 14" model (chop saw size) is about 50 bucks. I ordered and finally got to install tonight.

clamped in a piece of 2x2x¼" angle iron and dropped the blade down.. It almost fell thru the metal !!! If you've used a chop saw you know about pressure on the blade and the mess it makes. Only the lightest pressure is needed...just let the blade do the work. It's like a hot knife thru soft butter.. The output was very fine chips of metal that pretty much stay close to where you're cutting and not floating around in the air and up your nose like the abrasive dust.

I can't say anything about longevity yet, but for speed of cut and ease of cut this is the best I've found... check them out below

http://www.bulletindustries.com/cata...roducts_id/784

later
john

Old 01-12-2008, 12:49 PM
cmoritz
Posting Guru
Can"t keep that nut/bolt in the socket?..Lay a small piece of paper over socket opening,then stuff in the nut..,still too loose? use thicker paper.

Old 01-12-2008, 01:01 PM
cmoritz
Posting Guru
Heating a stuborn nut/bolt with a torch? Try spraying stream of cold water from an adjustable spray bottle..shock therapy..you are wearing your safety glasses and gloves arn"t you??..this is going to be a good thread ..thank"s.

Old 01-14-2008, 08:32 AM
59dumper
Freshman User
hate taking the time to clean up all those rusted nuts, bolts, washers, small parts... Buy one of those cheapo rock tumblers throw in a couple of handfuls of nuts bolts etc... fill most of the way with abrasive (I used garnett for the first round) worked pretty good but I think black diamond might do better. This will take a few days in the tumbler so its not a quick thing but if you're in no hurry set it up and forget it for a day or two and you've got shiny new hardware that goes together like new.

Old 01-15-2008, 07:31 PM
cmoritz
Posting Guru
Here"s a couple of easy one"s; Old bolt too tight to loosen ? tighten it a little first ,Can"t get a nut started on a bolt/stud ?Try spinning it on ..backwards..slowly until you feel it drop ,,now try threading it on ..sorry , those were too easy not to pass along.

Old 01-24-2008, 01:41 PM
Randy Jack
Postmaster

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Using Clecoes To Align Body Panels:

Having some time on my hands, I read this thread from the beginning. Good stuff, folks! However, I couldn't believe nobody talked about clecoes.

We all know what a pain it is to align body and door panels for a good fit and how tough it is to repeat that fit later (like after finish paint). Here's the slickest way I have seen and used:

Drill (2) 1/8" diameter holes thru mating seams of the parts (like inner/outer fenders/air dams, etc). Then install some 1/8" clecoes in these holes. When you reinstall the parts, just insert the clecoes into their holes and the part alignment repeats exactly. I have had my entire 56 front clip on the truck using clecoes only. Works great.

A good source for clecoes is Eastwood. Believe it or not, they are less expensive than McMaster Carr. Eastwood's part numbers: 19075, (30) "blind holders", $21.99; 19074A, compression pliers, $12.99. The clecoes (holders) are pretty useless without the pliers.

I did a variation on the cleco theme with re-hanging my doors. If you aren't familiar with clecoes, they are used and pictured here: https://www.ford-trucks.com/user_gal...&albumid=27817

Rock on!

Old 01-24-2008, 09:59 PM
fatfenders56
Cargo Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
what a great thread, I don't get a whole lot of internet time lately but this was a good use of it, thanks guys

Old 02-13-2008, 11:51 AM
homade
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Panty hose to keep it cool-------fan belt broke, overheating,ofcourse this was a long time ago and the girl with me had on panty hose,so i had to borrow them, just streach around pulley's real tight ,tie hard knot and remove excess, instant fan belt. to remove excess use knife or chew it off,prefence is everything.

Old 02-13-2008, 01:01 PM
bobj49f2
Hotshot
Received 2,051 Likes on 802 Posts
Originally Posted by homade
Panty hose to keep it cool-------fan belt broke, overheating,ofcourse this was a long time ago and the girl with me had on panty hose,so i had to borrow them, just streach around pulley's real tight ,tie hard knot and remove excess, instant fan belt. to remove excess use knife or chew it off,prefence is everything.
I wish I had know this maneuver when I was dating my wife, oh yeah, it would have come in handy if my truck would have over heated too.

Old 02-14-2008, 02:10 PM
bobbytnm
Roast em' if you got 'em
Received 3,790 Likes on 1,824 Posts
I had success with it one time and completely failed with it another time.
Of course, the time that didn't work was because I had a serpentine belt system....lol.
I had lost an idler pulley on a cross country trip and threw the belt. I knew I wouldn't be able to spin up every accessory but I was trying to get a minimum of water pump and alternator (yup it was night time so I need the extra juice) In the end, I got a hotel room and waited until the parts store opened the next day.

...so it goes....

There are some great tips in this thread
Bobby

Old 02-14-2008, 04:30 PM
rdemilt
Elder User
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
He did say chew them off didnt he you da Man !!!

Rick

Quick Reply: Cool Tips and tricks