1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Cool Tips and tricks

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2013, 07:39 AM
Tobys50
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lightbulb Defrost Vents on 48 - 52's

I was finally piping defrost hoses up to the vents in my dash when I discovered I only had the "cup" for one side. Unable to locate another one readily, I decided to improvise, destroying a perfectly good floor-hose end attachment from my shop vac. I had to use a hacksaw and rotate the neck on it so it pointed the other direction, but now the defrost hose doesn't interfere with the wiper linkage! I started by taping it to the underside of the dash to pre-drill some holes, ran some sheet metal screws in it, drew'er up and attached the defrost hose! I may end up doing this to the other vent just to get the hose away from the wiper linkage! I know it sounds trashy but it works like a champ!

*side note: since the defrost hose is such an odd diameter to find in a material flexible enough to route the way you want it, and without having to order it, I found "carburetor/air cleaner" aluminum hose @ Autozone to work perfectly. $6 for each and you're done.

-Toby

Old 09-15-2013, 02:12 PM
AXracer
Hotshot
Received 53 Likes on 34 Posts
This isn't the right place to be posting questions, it's for tips and tricks. Start a new topic and you'll get a lot more responses.

Old 09-15-2013, 03:17 PM
Fomoko1
Received 1,351 Likes on 1,110 Posts
Originally Posted by AXracer
This isn't the right place to be posting questions, it's for tips and tricks. Start a new topic and you'll get a lot more responses.
Posts moved to 48/56 truck forum.

Old 12-09-2013, 08:18 PM
The Horvaths
Posting Guru
Hillbilly Parts Washer

50 gallon drum, 40 gallons of water, a small box of "TSP" and a gallon of PineSol. Dirt and poorly-adhered paint don't stand a chance. I heated it with two of my home made blacksmith's propane burners.

This is a test of my ability to post pictures as well.

Attached Images   
Old 12-15-2013, 10:33 AM
BACAGrizz
Fleet Mechanic
Received 5 Likes on 1 Post
I don't know if this has been posted before but I used an old ac condenser between my compressor pump and tank as an intercooler to try to lessen the among of condensation in the tank. It works fine keeping the air cooled that is going into the tank.

I had some hoses made with compression fittings in one end and -6 & -8 fittings on the other ends to accommodate attaching the condenser.

I attached the condenser to the belt guard in front of the fan built into the compressor flywheel to optimize air flow.

Attached Images   
Old 12-15-2013, 12:43 PM
jniolon
old and in the way
Received 726 Likes on 259 Posts
grizz,,

do you have any type drain on the condenser ?? what do you do about water collection... cool idea... will start search for condenser tomorrow

Old 12-15-2013, 02:53 PM
BACAGrizz
Fleet Mechanic
No drain on the condenser. Don't think it needs it because the pressure in the condenser bleeds off when the compressor shuts off. Condensation happens when the tank gets hot and cools. With this setup only cold air goes into tank so much less condensate.
I still have water separating units on the air lines by have been noticing much less water in the tank from the drain on the bottom of it.

Old 12-16-2013, 10:53 AM
Jag Red 54
Logistics Pro
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
OK, while it looks neat, I don't see how that lessens the amount of moisture interring the compressor tank. Where does the moisture go? is it in the bottom of the AC condenser? If so, it would appear that sooner or later, there will be so much water in the unit that it will begin to fill up the air tank anyway. Maybe a bung welded unto the bottom like a normal radiator with a drain valve would provide a place to purge the condensed water? Jag

Old 12-16-2013, 11:27 AM
petemcl
Still Learnin'
Received 38 Likes on 28 Posts
Why not just drain the tank and the condensate trap occasionally? The part of an A/C system that removes water from that sealed system is the receiver/dryer, but even if you added that I don't think that they are designed to remove water from an unsealed system.

Are you having that much of a problem with water? Maybe I'm missing something?

Old 12-16-2013, 12:28 PM
ALBUQ F-1
Fleet Owner
Received 607 Likes on 377 Posts
Condensers are designed for pretty low flows compared to an air compressor's output, it may restrict flow. There are also different types of circuits in them, for this application I believe a serpentine would be best, as water can't hide out in it. You should have a drain pot right after it.

Attached Images  
Old 12-16-2013, 09:27 PM
AXracer
Hotshot
Received 53 Likes on 34 Posts
every time you make the flow turn a corner you create a large restriction in the flow. Try one of those curly retractable water hoses sometime, it cuts the flow rate to less than 1/2. The curly air hoses or roll back hose reels do the same, don't use them where the flow rate is critical, spray painting, high volume air tools, etc.
Also use as short a flexible hose as you can, stretch it out as straight as possible, don't leave it coiled up while using.

Old 12-16-2013, 10:07 PM
BACAGrizz
Fleet Mechanic
I do drain the tank manually. The way it was explained to me was the cooler you keep the tank and incoming air the less water it will produce. Condensation comes when the tank gets hot and cools. If the tank stays cool you will get less water from the air. I am looking into putting a desiccant dryer to further inhibit condensation. Just having cold air going into the tank has cut down a lot on the water forming in the bottom of the tank.

The water never gathers in the condensor because the air doesn't stay in it for long, it only passes through. The pressure bleeds off when the compressor turns off so, the trapped air in the condensor exhausts and doesn't have the chance to expel its water. Only the top 2 or 3 runs ever get warm.

I got the idea from a local compressor sales and service store. They tried to sell me an intercooler for $250 and I got this one from a friend for free. It does the same job as the fancy schmancy intercooler.

Ross, that is exactly the condensor I have, a serpentine aluminum unit. Very efficient for my application.

Old 07-05-2014, 09:41 AM
Paul52
New User
Hi Truxx56. I love your idea about using clear plastic to make templates for metal pieces. I have used cardboard for a while which worked well for the perimeter but had a hard time placing the holes correctly. This string for sharing tips is a great idea. Cheers Paul52

Old 07-05-2014, 10:17 AM
Paul52
New User
Thank you for posting all of those great tips Jniolon. These are of great value to us novices when working on our truck projects. This is a very helpful thread. Cheers Paul52

Old 07-16-2014, 09:28 AM
jhweigel
Junior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My favorite high tech diagnostic tool

I made a 3 foot long jumper wire with alligator clips on each end. I used 14 gauge silicone hookup wire because it is very flexible. I have been trouble shooting the temp sensors on my flathead V8 (8BA) motor. Just jumpered across each wire between the two sensors, and each wire going to the gauge to check continuity, then check the temp gauge to see if any change occurs. Then I grounded the temp gauge to make sure it went all the way to "cold" then took off the jumper and it returned to "Hot" (with the ignition switch on) to verify that the gauge is working.

Sometimes simpler is better.

Quick Reply: Cool Tips and tricks