1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Cool Tips and tricks

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2016, 07:15 PM
mike.rogers
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
heck ya. In fact I did it a couple of times just to see it work again LOL

Old 06-12-2016, 07:53 PM
56panelford
FTE Legend
Received 4,132 Likes on 2,656 Posts

Old 07-28-2016, 06:18 PM
cliff tate
Junior User
rust removal

A pal told me about molasses and water for removeing rust from sheet metal and parts.Ibought a largs garbage can filled with water,aded 1 gallon of molasses.(bought frome a feed store20$for 2gallons includeing container.
i soak part to be de rusted for 2weeks,un belevable the results.
cliff from cloverdale bc

Old 07-29-2016, 10:16 AM
petemcl
Still Learnin'
Received 38 Likes on 28 Posts
Originally Posted by cliff tate
A pal told me about molasses and water for removeing rust from sheet metal and parts.Ibought a largs garbage can filled with water,aded 1 gallon of molasses.(bought frome a feed store20$for 2gallons includeing container.
i soak part to be de rusted for 2weeks,un belevable the results.
cliff from cloverdale bc
Do you have any pictures Cliff?

Old 07-29-2016, 10:29 AM
cliff tate
Junior User
molasses de rust

Originally Posted by petemcl
Do you have any pictures Cliff?
sorry i have not mastered sending pictures,have a mac laptop which i am not up to speed.yet.
my project being a 1948 mark m47, i have used the molasses for small and large parts/soaked the running boards in 2 stages the metal came out like new. every month i take the liquid out and dump the residue. it is terrible crap so do not dump on grass etc. cliff

Old 07-29-2016, 11:21 AM
petemcl
Still Learnin'
sorry i have not mastered sending pictures,have a mac laptop which i am not up to speed.yet.
my project being a 1948 mark m47, i have used the molasses for small and large parts/soaked the running boards in 2 stages the metal came out like new. every month i take the liquid out and dump the residue. it is terrible crap so do not dump on grass etc. cliff
Cliff, I have a Mac too and it is very easy (same as PC on this site). Here is how you do it. I recommend the "Browse your computer" button in the second picture:
https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...ure-guide.html

Actually I think that it is now "Browse your Device":

We need pictures on this forum and lots of them.

Old 07-29-2016, 01:00 PM
cliff tate
Junior User
can't seem to make it work

send me your e mail and i cansend 3picture. will get some help soon cliff

Old 07-30-2016, 12:07 PM
cliff tate
Junior User
pictures/ still trying

send me your e mail and i cansend 3picture. will get some help soon cliff
my emails ct1940@shaw.ca. lots of good stuff hear,like to contribute

Old 08-10-2016, 08:01 AM
gogoat
Mountain Pass
Received 29 Likes on 21 Posts
Studs

I have gotten good at using studs to hold on many items when I am assembling them. For instance, put 4 or 6 studs in the tranny case and hang the rubber or cork gasket on them, then install pan and remove studs one at a time and replace with permanent bolts. Work great when you are working upside down and by your self. It's like having another set of helping hands. I also use them on bell housings to guide the tranny in place.

Old 08-14-2016, 12:48 PM
ALBUQ F-1
Fleet Owner
Received 607 Likes on 377 Posts
Originally Posted by gogoat
I have gotten good at using studs to hold on many items when I am assembling them. For instance, put 4 or 6 studs in the tranny case and hang the rubber or cork gasket on them, then install pan and remove studs one at a time and replace with permanent bolts. Work great when you are working upside down and by your self. It's like having another set of helping hands. I also use them on bell housings to guide the tranny in place.
I've made up a set of pilot studs for that same purpose. Keeps the heads from slipping off while you're scrambling to get a bolt started, and very useful for keeping an intake manifold gasket in place while heaving the manifold up and over the fenders.

I cut a slot in the end to make them easier to remove.

Old 08-15-2016, 08:52 AM
petemcl
Still Learnin'
Good job Ross. And I see that you chamfered the heads to make it easier to get the heads/manifold on over them.

Old 10-21-2016, 01:36 PM
petemcl
Still Learnin'
Return policy Mac's vs Dennis Carpenter

I had an interesting revelation today that I thought that I would share. I ordered some sheet metal from Mac's and Dennis Carpenter. One of the pieces from Mac's came in damaged and I called them today and they were very nice and are sending me a pre-paid shipping label.

The Dennis Carpenter part did not fit as the contours were wrong (worn dies?). When I called them the guy was a bit surely and dismissive. He told me they do not pay for returns and I would have to pay the shipping to return the part.

I'm sure that this is covered in the "27 pages of fine print written by lawyers" but it was news to me. So, in the future I will use Mac's and not DC whenever I order parts. FYI

Old 10-27-2016, 03:21 PM
Moe Craig
Cargo Master

Received 40 Likes on 16 Posts
Originally Posted by petemcl
I had an interesting revelation today that I thought that I would share. I ordered some sheet metal from Mac's and Dennis Carpenter. One of the pieces from Mac's came in damaged and I called them today and they were very nice and are sending me a pre-paid shipping label.

The Dennis Carpenter part did not fit as the contours were wrong (worn dies?). When I called them the guy was a bit surely and dismissive. He told me they do not pay for returns and I would have to pay the shipping to return the part.

I'm sure that this is covered in the "27 pages of fine print written by lawyers" but it was news to me. So, in the future I will use Mac's and not DC whenever I order parts. FYI
Hope you told DC that they lost your business, and why! I think if it's their part that's wrong, it should be on them, if it's your fault then we should pay for returns!

Old 10-27-2016, 04:05 PM
petemcl
Still Learnin'
Originally Posted by Moe Craig
Hope you told DC that they lost your business, and why! I think if it's their part that's wrong, it should be on them, if it's your fault then we should pay for returns!
No, a waste of breath. I don't think that the guy cared. I just won't order from them again. Maybe someday they will ask me why but I won't hold my breath. A lesson in business.

Old 10-27-2016, 08:16 PM
56panelford
FTE Legend
Received 4,132 Likes on 2,656 Posts

Quick Reply: Cool Tips and tricks