Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Older, Classic & Antique Trucks > 1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Cool Tips and tricks

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 07-16-2014, 10:14 AM
Still Learnin'

petemcl has a very good reputation on FTE.petemcl has a very good reputation on FTE.petemcl has a very good reputation on FTE.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhweigel View Post
I made a 3 foot long jumper wire with alligator clips on each end. I used 14 gauge silicone hookup wire because it is very flexible. I have been trouble shooting the temp sensors on my flathead V8 (8BA) motor. Just jumpered across each wire between the two sensors, and each wire going to the gauge to check continuity, then check the temp gauge to see if any change occurs. Then I grounded the temp gauge to make sure it went all the way to "cold" then took off the jumper and it returned to "Hot" (with the ignition switch on) to verify that the gauge is working.

Sometimes simpler is better.
Be aware that the left sender is not really not variable. It is just on or off. . . . unless somebody replaced it with the wrong one.

Click the image to open in full size.

1950 Ford F2 w/flathead V8/4-speed

. . .
Old 10-28-2014, 08:13 PM
Junior User

jhweigel is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
THis is a great diagnostic tool for tuning a flathead with a vacuum gauge. I think I have seen it before on this forum, but it's so good, it bears reminding members about it in this cool tips and tricks thread. The Van Pelt website is awesome and full of good information and drawings on flathead motors.

This vacuum diagnostic page is superb IMHO!

http://www.vanpeltsales.com/FH_web/F...auge-chart.jpg
Old 01-24-2015, 09:18 PM
New User

eddie harris is starting off with a positive reputation.
I GUESS THIS IS ONE THAT HAS BEEN COVERED BEFORE BUT I CANT FIND THE ANSWER SO DOES ANYONE KNOW WHAT FUEL TANK I CAN FIND AT A JUNK YARD THAT WILL FIT BETWEEN THE BED RAILS ON A 52 F1 SO I CAN MOVE THE TANK OUT OF THE CAB
Old 01-24-2015, 09:34 PM
Postmaster

jniolon is a splendid one to beholdjniolon is a splendid one to beholdjniolon is a splendid one to beholdjniolon is a splendid one to beholdjniolon is a splendid one to beholdjniolon is a splendid one to beholdjniolon is a splendid one to behold
Eddie,

you'll get better results by posting this in the main part of the 48-56 forum... lots of info over there

1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

also check at the top of the forum "forum tips and tricks

http://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/10...s-how-tos.html

I know there is some tank info there...

and welcome to FTE
later
John
Old 01-25-2015, 12:28 PM
Post Fiend

AXracer is a splendid one to beholdAXracer is a splendid one to beholdAXracer is a splendid one to beholdAXracer is a splendid one to beholdAXracer is a splendid one to beholdAXracer is a splendid one to beholdAXracer is a splendid one to beholdAXracer is a splendid one to behold
Chuck Frank
Eddie, Welcome to FTE!
The advanced search function is really good for finding previously posted info and is almost always the best place to start looking. It's a bit hidden, so to find it go to the top of any page after logging in and click on search in the center of the narrow blue band just under the two color line drawing "Club Ford Truck Enthusiasts" logo. A drop down menu will appear, click on advanced search at the bottom of the menu. An advanced search dialog page will open. Fill in the info you want to search on. Don't forget to select this (48-56 F1, F100, etc forum) as the location to search box. If you don't find what you are looking for, try varying the keyword(s) to do more specific and/or generalized searches.

A friendly reminder: it is good etiquette to turn off the caps lock key on you keyboard when posting. All caps message is considered shouting.

1956 F100 Panel "GRACIE"
2007 Solstice GXP racer, the "KRAZED KANARY"
Third place finish 2009 SCCA National Championships
Old 01-25-2015, 04:31 PM
Still Learnin'

petemcl has a very good reputation on FTE.petemcl has a very good reputation on FTE.petemcl has a very good reputation on FTE.
A couple pictures to illustrate AX's advice:

. . .
Old 02-10-2015, 08:36 PM
Posting Guru

Ibuildmyown has a great reputation on FTE.Ibuildmyown has a great reputation on FTE.Ibuildmyown has a great reputation on FTE.Ibuildmyown has a great reputation on FTE.Ibuildmyown has a great reputation on FTE.
Wiring tester

If you ever needed to check to see if a wire is getting power and you can't reach a test light , like taillights ,blinkers ...... make one of these "test horn" . I've used this for years as I'm usually working alone. Flip the switch and hear the horn , you know you have power. Clips on where needed . Motorcycle horn and old clips from a dead timing light. I used it to check power to my fuel lift pump on my dodge 5.9 cummins . Thought it might be handy to share with everyone here.
Old 02-15-2015, 07:13 PM
New User

artscott61 is starting off with a positive reputation.
got kicked off don't have time no no NO
Kusto I am using volare front end so with the money I save I have been thinking of buying a plasma (longevity).
Old 02-18-2015, 04:12 AM
Junior User

48/51F1 is starting off with a positive reputation.
223 rear main

When redoing my 223, which just sits on a stand now.... replaced by 260, anyway I used some drilled out channel with nuts and bolts to pull the cap.Click the image to open in full size.

Old 02-22-2015, 02:31 PM
Post Fiend

bobj49f2 is a splendid one to beholdbobj49f2 is a splendid one to beholdbobj49f2 is a splendid one to beholdbobj49f2 is a splendid one to beholdbobj49f2 is a splendid one to beholdbobj49f2 is a splendid one to beholdbobj49f2 is a splendid one to beholdbobj49f2 is a splendid one to behold
Here's a good tech thread from the HAMB for making a drip rail

Technical - How to make drip rails or wheel opening mouldings | The H.A.M.B.
48/51 F-4 flatbed (2 in 1)/49 8N tractor

www.fatfenderedtrucks.com

Old 02-27-2015, 03:37 PM
Still Learnin'

Hard to find emergency brake parts for F2

I have been trying for some time to find some missing emergency brake parts using the truck part numbers. The parts were the RH Emergency Brake Levers and the L & R e-brake lever links. The truck part numbers are no where to be found but it turns out that the '48-'51 F2s used the same rear brakes as the 1939-1948 Ford cars. After Googling the part number I found everything but the lever at Little Dearborn. Then at their suggestion I checked eBay and found the lever.

Below in the JobLots catalogue picture are the car part numbers in case someone else needs them.

Hard to find lever - this is the LH side.

These are the parts that I needed circled in red.

JobLots had good pictures & car part numbers in their 1939-1948 Ford Car catalogue, but they didn't have the key parts (lever and links).

. . .
Old 03-29-2015, 09:54 AM
New User

ms061352 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Cool Tip

I spent yesterday cleaning and removing the U Joints from my 52 F1 drive shaft.
Watched some u Tube video's showing how to replace U jounts. One thing no one said was to watch out where the grease fittings are when you put the U joint back into the shaft! Mine are both in backwards and the grease fitting is too close to the yoke. I am not taking them out after all that work. If they ever fail I will pull the drive shaft and hopefully remember to install them correctly.
Old 03-31-2015, 05:00 PM
Still Learnin'

Radiator hose lengths & Gates Power Grip clamps - Flathead V8

I have added blue silicone hoses with Gates Power Grip hose clamps. I got them from Speedway Motors as they seem to have the better price. IMHO they give a nice clean look at a much cheaper price than braided steel.

I cut the lower 1.75" hoses to 8" and the upper 1.25" hoses at 3" pipe-to-thermostat housing and 6" pipe-to-radiator. I uses my band saw to cut the hoses. These lengths are a little different than what the parts book calls out but those lengths seemed too short.

I never did find a length specified for the lower hoses. 8" works fine on my truck.

. . .
Old 03-31-2015, 06:09 PM
Senior User

pweng1 is starting off with a positive reputation.
What a great looking flathead. A shame to hide it under a hood.
Old 03-31-2015, 06:09 PM