Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Older, Classic & Antique Trucks > 1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Welcome to Ford-Trucks Forums!
Welcome to Ford-Trucks.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Ford-Trucks Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 09-04-2012, 07:17 AM
Old guy with old toys

raytasch is a splendid one to beholdraytasch is a splendid one to beholdraytasch is a splendid one to beholdraytasch is a splendid one to beholdraytasch is a splendid one to beholdraytasch is a splendid one to behold
Quote:
Originally Posted by medctr1 View Post
No noticeable coolant loss or I figured it had to be a couple of bad exhaust valves. I also thought the bad exhaust valves would cause backfiring. Also tried the paperbill trick on the tailpipe exhaust where
you put a paper bill near the end of the exhaust. It should just blow away from the exhaust pipe. If it blows away and comes back a little bit, it indicates a burnt valve allowing suction in the exhaust system when its piston is in its downstroke. At least thats how I understand it.
There is not much "meat" in the gasket between the valve areas of these engines. No coolant passage there. I've seen more than one leak in this area many years ago when I played with the flatheads. Retorqueing the head may show a change but probably not a permanent fix.
2007 F150 SC. Driven once in a whle.

So, how is this PC stuff working out for you, America?
Old 09-07-2012, 11:08 PM
Freshman User

medctr1 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by petemcl View Post
If you have a vacuum gauge this chart should help (old school high tech):
I hooked up a vacuum gauge off the vacuum wipers. EZ.
gauge holds steady at 18, if I do a quick punch of throttle it goes 10-22 then back to 18.(if I increase rpms to 2000 or so it increases to 20 then drops back to 18) I do not notice any dropping or floating of needle...well maybe a half a unit at most. According to chart you gave me I believe I show a "normal motor" but I still have 50psi in cylinders 5&6 and good compression 105-115 in the others. So..............am I reading the gauge correctly?
Old 09-08-2012, 07:31 AM
Still Learnin'

petemcl is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.petemcl is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Quote:
I hooked up a vacuum gauge off the vacuum wipers. EZ.
gauge holds steady at 18, if I do a quick punch of throttle it goes 10-22 then back to 18.(if I increase rpms to 2000 or so it increases to 20 then drops back to 18) I do not notice any dropping or floating of needle...well maybe a half a unit at most. According to chart you gave me I believe I show a "normal motor" but I still have 50psi in cylinders 5&6 and good compression 105-115 in the others. So..............am I reading the gauge correctly?
These readings are on an engine at normal operating temperature. Make sure that your temp gauge shows that. Remember that these flatheads take a while to warm up.

I'm not sure if your engine has been sitting for a while or not but these ring might just be stuck. Clean oil and regular use might free them up. I would be careful using any "snake oil" (and there are lots out there that make outrageous claims) as you might have unintended consequences using them as most are designed for modern engines.
Attached Images

2011 John Deere 2520
1950 Ford F2 w/flathead V8/4-speed
. . .. . .
Old 09-08-2012, 11:41 AM
Freshman User

newbie lookin at vacuum gauge

Maybe I can't read the second chart, but I thought it was saying 4-25 was normal when you punch it. I sure expect the vacuum to show something ,considering the compression in 5&6. is low.
Old 09-08-2012, 12:24 PM
Old guy with old toys

raytasch is a splendid one to beholdraytasch is a splendid one to beholdraytasch is a splendid one to beholdraytasch is a splendid one to beholdraytasch is a splendid one to beholdraytasch is a splendid one to behold
In your troubleshooting, remember that vacuum drops to near zero at WOT. Sounds to me like you're reading the vacuum gauge right. Why not start a separate thread.

Old 09-08-2012, 01:54 PM
Post Fiend

bobj49f2 is a splendid one to beholdbobj49f2 is a splendid one to beholdbobj49f2 is a splendid one to beholdbobj49f2 is a splendid one to beholdbobj49f2 is a splendid one to beholdbobj49f2 is a splendid one to beholdbobj49f2 is a splendid one to behold
I don't think this has been mentioned before:

Frame swaps are almost always impossible and usually end in failure and frustration. Use the original frame and improve upon it. Search for FTE posts about "frame swaps" and read every one of them.

Starting a new post is a very good idea for two reasons, it gets this thread back on point and if you have a separate thread with a topic specific title more people will see it and chime in with more help.
48/51 F-4 flatbed (2 in 1)/49 8N tractor

www.fatfenderedtrucks.com

Old 09-08-2012, 02:29 PM
Freshman User

new thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by raytasch View Post
In your troubleshooting, remember that vacuum drops to near zero at WOT. Sounds to me like you're reading the vacuum gauge right. Why not start a separate thread.

Not sure how to start a new thread...look at it later this weekend. thanks.
Old 09-08-2012, 02:41 PM
Post Fiend

bobj49f2 is a splendid one to beholdbobj49f2 is a splendid one to beholdbobj49f2 is a splendid one to beholdbobj49f2 is a splendid one to beholdbobj49f2 is a splendid one to beholdbobj49f2 is a splendid one to beholdbobj49f2 is a splendid one to behold
Quote:
Not sure how to start a new thread...look at it later this weekend. thanks.
Just go to the main page of the '48-56 board and click on the Click the image to open in full size. just above top of the discussion board. A new will pop up and you enter a subject title and below in the box enter your message, just like you did here.
48/51 F-4 flatbed (2 in 1)/49 8N tractor

www.fatfenderedtrucks.com

Old 09-09-2012, 09:44 AM
Still Learnin'

petemcl is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.petemcl is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Quote:
Maybe I can't read the second chart, but I thought it was saying 4-25 was normal when you punch it. I sure expect the vacuum to show something ,considering the compression in 5&6. is low.
Yes, but you only have 2 cylinders with a problem not all 8. And you never reach 25. Do all the other test read normal? Ray is right. This thread is for "Cool Tips & Tricks".
2011 John Deere 2520
1950 Ford F2 w/flathead V8/4-speed
. . .. . .
Old 09-09-2012, 07:53 PM
Old guy with old toys

Help for Windshield Wiper Blades

For those who have a vehicle that does not get driven for long periods you've probably had the problem where the windshield wipers take a "set" and then jump, skip, and vibrate when you use them after a long dormancy. When I park my seldom used vehicles I place a small block under each wiper arm that keeps pressure off the blade thus preventing it from taking the "set". And if the vehicle is stored outdoors, consider placing a piece of pipe insulation over the blade, keeping the sun off. And RainX works good for these seldom used vehicles.
Attached Images

Old 09-09-2012, 08:06 PM
Posting Guru

topmoo is a splendid one to beholdtopmoo is a splendid one to beholdtopmoo is a splendid one to beholdtopmoo is a splendid one to beholdtopmoo is a splendid one to beholdtopmoo is a splendid one to beholdtopmoo is a splendid one to beholdtopmoo is a splendid one to behold
Quote:
Originally Posted by raytasch View Post
For those who have a vehicle that does not get driven for long periods you've probably had the problem where the windshield wipers take a "set" and then jump, skip, and vibrate when you use them after a long dormancy. When I park my seldom used vehicles I place a small block under each wiper arm that keeps pressure off the blade thus preventing it from taking the "set". And if the vehicle is stored outdoors, consider placing a piece of pipe insulation over the blade, keeping the sun off. And RainX works good for these seldom used vehicles.
Thanks, good tip. Here in Houston with the hot sun we get, I go through a couple of sets of wiper blades a year on three vehicles. And if I don't use RainX at least one more set.
Old 09-09-2012, 08:18 PM
Post Fiend

AXracer is a splendid one to beholdAXracer is a splendid one to beholdAXracer is a splendid one to beholdAXracer is a splendid one to beholdAXracer is a splendid one to beholdAXracer is a splendid one to beholdAXracer is a splendid one to behold
Chuck Frank
Here if the vehicle is parked outside for a period of time the heat and tree sap "welds" the edge of the blade to the glass, so when you turn them on it rips bits of rubber out of the edge and the blade streaks from then on.

1956 F100 Panel "GRACIE"
2007 Solstice GXP racer, the "KRAZED KANARY"
Third place finish 2009 SCCA National Championships
Old 09-10-2012, 09:45 AM
Postmaster

Jag Red 54 has a very good reputation on FTE.Jag Red 54 has a very good reputation on FTE.Jag Red 54 has a very good reputation on FTE.
Where I grew up in Imperial Valley, it only rains about once a year. So we routinely just removed our wipers and left them in the trunk. You just had to remember to reinstall them if the forcast called for rain. Jag
55 Crown Victoria
Old 09-17-2012, 04:32 PM
New User

trueblueovalguy is starting off with a positive reputation.
a piece of rubber fuel hose cut to the proper length and slid over the drill bit to control depth.works great and saves trees.
Old 09-18-2012, 07:31 PM
Post Fiend

AXracer is a splendid one to beholdAXracer is a splendid one to beholdAXracer is a splendid one to beholdAXracer is a splendid one to beholdAXracer is a splendid one to beholdAXracer is a splendid one to beholdAXracer is a splendid one to behold
Chuck Frank
I wrap a piece of masking tape around the bit with the end folded back on itself to form a flag. When the flag starts brushing the filings away around the hole I know to stop.

1956 F100 Panel "GRACIE"
2007 Solstice GXP racer, the "KRAZED KANARY"
Third place finish 2009 SCCA National Championships
Old 09-18-2012, 07:31 PM

Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Older, Classic & Antique Trucks > 1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks

Tags
2002, 53, bolt, carriage, cooltips, f250, ford, frames, machinist, rails, remove, rusty, tips, trade, tricks, truck