Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Older, Classic & Antique Trucks > 1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Welcome to Ford-Trucks Forums!
Welcome to Ford-Trucks.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Ford-Trucks Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 07-22-2008, 08:02 AM
If you use it, SUPPORT IT

rcav8or is starting off with a positive reputation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TxF100 View Post
That is a great tip.... I am getting ready to cut off my top and replace with another and this solves one of the biggest issues. Where did you get the picture level?
I bought it at Sears - called a Laser Trac. They are about $35.00 there, but I found a couple cheap knock-offs at Lowes, and saw one at Big Lots, for under $10. I used it for leveling my motorhome when I had it, plus when I built my shop, for marking the walls end-to-end, for my studs, etc. They are really very handy, once you remember you have it...that was the hardest thing, because I often forgot I had it. But, once you get used to it, and use it for a few things, you can use it for a LOT of things.

R
See my bodywork HERE

Roger Phillips
Oxford, IN
Click the link for pictures of my truck:
1951 Ford F2

Old 07-22-2008, 07:52 PM
Senior User

TxF100 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcav8or View Post
I bought it at Sears - called a Laser Trac. They are about $35.00 there, but I found a couple cheap knock-offs at Lowes, and saw one at Big Lots, for under $10. I used it for leveling my motorhome when I had it, plus when I built my shop, for marking the walls end-to-end, for my studs, etc. They are really very handy, once you remember you have it...that was the hardest thing, because I often forgot I had it. But, once you get used to it, and use it for a few things, you can use it for a LOT of things.

R
See my bodywork HERE
That's great...Im on my way there this evening...Thanks
Old 08-07-2008, 11:40 AM
New User

Johntee is starting off with a positive reputation.
Question Door will not stay closed on 54 F100

First the passengers side, now the drivers side. The striker plate is what I hope to be the problem, any tricks or tips? (besides rope or bungee cord, as this is my current solution.)
Old 08-07-2008, 11:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johntee View Post
First the passengers side, now the drivers side. The striker plate is what I hope to be the problem, any tricks or tips? (besides rope or bungee cord, as this is my current solution.)
There's a good discussion on that - discussing using original, or going to "bear claw", right now, in the following link:

Original or bear claw latch?

Seems the consensus is that the effort to go bear claw MORE than outweighs not doing it.

R

Roger Phillips
Oxford, IN
1951 Ford F2

Old 08-13-2008, 10:36 PM

Removing Rear Shackle Pins

Been working on my rear end. Ford had a great idea - to remove the shackle pins, they put holes in the frame, to drive them out from inside the frame. Unfortunately, at least on the '51, they put a cross member in perfect alignment with the hole for the front spring shackle, making it just short of impossible to get to - the rear is easy, and drives right out. If you CAN get to it, your drift is at a pretty severe angle.

I've read of people cutting holes in the cross member, to make it a direct shot. Another option is to grind off the rivets, pull the shackle, then put it back on with Grade 8 bolts. While these are suitable for a "darksider", I am trying to keep my '51 F2 as stock as possible.

After mulling it over, I ended up taking a piece of 3/8" solid rod, and a 1/8" NPT die, and putting pipe threads on about the last 1/2" of the rod. I took the Zerk out of the pin, and screwed the rod in. I then clamped one set of cheap Taiwan vice grip pliers VERY securely to the rod, with another pair of true Vice Grips, behind that, so that they wouldn't slip, perpendicular to the rod. Then, I just hammered smartly against the cheapies, pulling the pin out. Slick as can be! Pretty much ruined the cheapies, but, at least I got SOME use out of them, instead of just laying around my tool box, until I threw them out.

My pins were very worn, and somewhat bent as well, and it still pulled them out.

I think a decent slide hammer would be great, if you can make the rod to fit the slide. Or, alternatively, you could weld a "beater block" to the rod, instead of the vice grips, but I just used what I had laying around.

Works for me!!

R

Roger Phillips
Oxford, IN
1951 Ford F2

Old 09-19-2008, 07:41 AM
Senior User

desoto dave is starting off with a positive reputation.
my 51 desoto's coolant system was full of rust debre,it would clog the radiator, so i back flush the radiator and then put panty-hose in the top inlet so every time you run it you catch the debre. later take it out ,clean the panty hose out then put it back,caught a lot of crap.now its pretty much clean.i know the wright way is to take it to a shop but,hey no money and i just wana drive it.
68 F350 service truck
87 3/4 ton Suburban
97 Dyna
04 F350 sd (company truck)
Old 10-17-2008, 09:34 AM
Senior User

54FordF1shortstep is starting off with a positive reputation.
When working on a rusty vehicle PB Blaster is your best friend. Spray it on bolts nuts and let it soak and nine times out of ten you will save yourself from a broken bolt. I am in the process of taking the body off my 54 F1 and have only broken three or four bolts out of about a hundred.
Old 11-23-2008, 09:37 PM
postin' fool

ALBUQ F-1 has much to be proud ofALBUQ F-1 has much to be proud ofALBUQ F-1 has much to be proud ofALBUQ F-1 has much to be proud ofALBUQ F-1 has much to be proud ofALBUQ F-1 has much to be proud ofALBUQ F-1 has much to be proud ofALBUQ F-1 has much to be proud of
I was working on my emergency brakes this weekend and had to pull the cables out at the rear drums. I remembered an old trick and thought I'd pass it on. To release the cable at the backing plate, you need to simultaneously compress inwards 6 little fingers on the clip that holds the cable to the plate. This is easily done by sliding a hose clamp over the clip and tightening until you feel it release. If you have one of those wire-type hose clamps that is the right size, they work even better.
Old 12-13-2008, 08:39 PM
Senior User

reg1952 is starting off with a positive reputation.
You can free up a siezed park brake cable with a set of booster cables and a battery.Clean an area on the cable and clamp a set of vise crips onto to the cable. Next clean another area on the cable case.Clamp an end of the booster cables to the vise crips and then quickly attach the other end of boosters to cable case.There will be sparks. Watch for your connection for overheating.Inside the cable where its siezed will be getting hot. You can start to work cable back and forth. you can connect and disconnect as many times as you like till you get a feel for things.Doesnt tak long to overheat things so only use short burst of power.It works great.NOTE; will not work on new style cables with plastic liner.
Old 01-02-2009, 07:33 AM
Posting Guru

raerjim is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
I've had a small oil leak on my Series 60 detroit Diesel on my semi tractor. If you've ever worked under a semi with an oil leak, you know that used diesel oil is the blackest, stainingest engine oil on the planet. I decided that I really COULD get under there and fix it w/o trashing my clothes. Bad idea. My jeans were ruined, according to my wife. I ahve a 5 gallon pail of Purple Power degreaser. I put about 12 oz. in the washer on small load setting, along with detergent. My jeans came out nearly spotless.. Try it.
Old 01-02-2009, 09:24 AM
Posting Guru

homade has a good reputation on FTE.homade has a good reputation on FTE.homade has a good reputation on FTE.
I use starting fluid to remove grease and oil stains, before washing continuely spray starting fluid on the stain until it is washed from the fabric, kinda like washing the mud from under the finder wells, ha ha , Garry
Old 01-02-2009, 02:16 PM
Post Fiend

AXracer is a splendid one to beholdAXracer is a splendid one to beholdAXracer is a splendid one to beholdAXracer is a splendid one to beholdAXracer is a splendid one to beholdAXracer is a splendid one to beholdAXracer is a splendid one to behold
Chuck Frank
My father was a commercial roofer, his work clothes would get full of tar and roofing cement, and my brothers and I were always working on cars getting greasy and oily. My mother would soak our work clothers overnight in a 5 gal pail after dousing them liberally with "Lestoil" cleaner before washing. Lestoil was available there in the grocery stores, but the only place that seems to carry it here is ACE hardware stores. It also made great hand washing soap for cleaning us up.

1956 F100 Panel "GRACIE"
2007 Solstice GXP racer, the "KRAZED KANARY"
Third place finish 2009 SCCA National Championships
Old 01-02-2009, 04:26 PM
Roast em' if you got 'em

bobbytnm is a splendid one to beholdbobbytnm is a splendid one to beholdbobbytnm is a splendid one to beholdbobbytnm is a splendid one to beholdbobbytnm is a splendid one to beholdbobbytnm is a splendid one to beholdbobbytnm is a splendid one to beholdbobbytnm is a splendid one to behold
LOL....

Mom always washed our greasy stuff with Tide detergent and a healthy dose of Pine-Sol. I smelled like a forest all through high school

Bobby
1967 Jeepster Commando
1994 Harley Road King
Old 01-11-2009, 01:32 AM
New User

copydoc65 is starting off with a positive reputation.
A can of Coke works on oily greasy clothes also needs to be brand name. I found that a log chain over a stud and a nut put on can be used to pull a rear axle on the 9 inch ford, snap the chain like a whip and it will pop right out. I used this method on stuck brake drums also by wrapping the chain around the drum.
Old 01-12-2009, 12:44 AM
Senior User

1959_f100 is starting off with a positive reputation.
i got a cool tip here. in my old truck the wind leaks threw were the window seals to the door so i took me some good ol RTV and stuck it the tracks on the top and around the corner, than i rold my window up all the way so it would form righ around the window, than i rold it back down and wiped it off the window and let it dry with the window down of corse. the next day no air was leaking and it also kept the window from rattleing. also i did it any holes in the cab. it helps alot in the winter and plus its RTV so it can be removed very ez if its needed
Old 01-12-2009, 12:44 AM

Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Older, Classic & Antique Trucks > 1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks

Tags
2002, 53, bolt, carriage, cooltips, f250, ford, frames, machinist, rails, remove, rusty, tips, trade, tricks, truck