Delaware Chapter Join Chapter, Leader: pbsdaddy

Lift Mod party. Sunday

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2007, 10:30 PM
JCHoffman
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
haha yea i might have too. In have a question about tires though. I bought some 33X15, i guess they only fit a 15x10.8 rim or something like that. will that fit on my truck?? this is just becoming a pain but I will get it done by the 16th hopefully and if those tires wont fit lemme know. So I guess I can sell them the day after i got um. later

Old 09-12-2007, 05:20 AM
phil6608
Post Fiend
All depends on what wheels your putting them on.
Most of the factory wheels are 16/17 and 18 inches. You would need to buy wheels to fit your truck and the tires.

Old 09-13-2007, 12:16 PM
JCHoffman
New User
Hey whats the catch to putting the extension on the steering coloumn? I cant get it to line up at all and the steering wheel isnt moving so I dunno... it just will not slide on or even be forced on it almost gets all the way on then it stops like half an inch to short.. any easy way to get it on? And when putting on the bumpers with the new brackets do you really have to cut off some of your frame in the front?

Old 09-13-2007, 02:57 PM
Foxxy
lil ms. innocent
Can't wait to see this one done!

Old 09-16-2007, 07:06 AM
frederic
Post Fiend
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by JCHoffman
Hey whats the catch to putting the extension on the steering coloumn? I cant get it to line up at all and the steering wheel isnt moving so I dunno... it just will not slide on or even be forced on it almost gets all the way on then it stops like half an inch to short.. any easy way to get it on? And when putting on the bumpers with the new brackets do you really have to cut off some of your frame in the front?
You're trying to do this on the truck, aren't you?

The easiest way to get the pieces to fit together is to pop off the berg joint at the bottom of the steering column, then do the same at the steering gearbox, and put the shaft on your workbench. THEN try to fit the extension. This way you have more light, can work on it while not on your back or hanging 2/3 of the way in the engine compartment, and not skin your knuckles too much.

There are three types of extensions, depending on the kit.

Two of them are splined shafts - with a male end and a female end, and simply extend the steering gearbox's shaft or the steering column shaft, then you'd install the original collapsable shaft between once again.

The better kind (IMHO) is the extension that replaces the bottom half of the collapsible shaft with a longer one - no hokey splined "short shafts" on either end to wiggle lose and add to the already obvious Ford Truck steering slop.

Which type do you have, and where specificially are you having problems with things not cooperating?

Most bumper raising kits require you to hack off part of the frame nose, which unfortunately makes this type of modification permanent. The best way is to fabricate new brackets that mount BEHIND the mounting ears on the frame rather than in front, that go up, then face forward with new ears to bolt the bumper to. There's plenty of room on all the F-series from the early 60's through today to do this. It's wasted space anyway. Use graded hardware for strength, and I'd also recommend using 3/8" steel for this as raising the bumper to the body significantly lowers the ability of the existing brackets to be useful in an accident due to the extra leverage a front-impact will have.

If you're truly, truly desperate for a no-cut solution, you're welcomed to drive 3.5 hrs to where I am in NJ with your bumper in your bed, and I'll take you and your wallet to my reasonably local steel supplier and we'll return here and fab up some brackets for you which you can paint yourself at your leisure. Bring Gruff with you as he bailed on our NJ FTE BBQ a few months ago and make him pay for gas LOL.