Victor Intake

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2007, 11:53 AM
The Freak
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Victor Intake

I wanted to get some opinions on what you guys thought a Victor Intake would do on my setup. Right now, I am running an Offenhauser Sing Four Tunnel Ram and a set of SCJ heads. I am planning on having the heads max ported so I've been thinking about switching over to the Victor Intake and getting it matched up to the heads at the same time. The engine is used for truck pulling. It is 498 c.i. 13:1 compression, and I run a roller cam over .700. Right now, the engine usually runs down the track around 7200, but I have had it up to 7500. Do you think a Victor would hurt/help performance?? I was thinking about buying a standard flange Victor and running my 2" inch spacer/adapter to my King Demon. Let me know what you guys think the pros and cons would be of making the intake change.

Old 09-07-2007, 05:21 PM
mcdonaldm
Elder User
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
good intake for heavily modified stock heads. designed for high rpm use only.don't htink you will loose anything compared to the tunnel ram up top, might actaully gain a bit in the top, but will not be as torquey down low as compared to a tunnel ram (not that the tunnell rams are really a torque intake either, but better than a victor)

didn't say what carb you are running, but at those specs a dominator or equal is about the only carb going to be able to feed that motor.

never hurts to try, you can always go back and probably recoup most of the victor cost anyway.

rgds
Mike

Old 09-07-2007, 05:52 PM
monsterbaby
Hotshot

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
personally I think you will find that the victor is a better intake for your setup and for you intended use. The tunnel ram would be better if you were running higher rpms, drag racing, or enough cid to warrent needing 2 dominator carbs otherwise the victor is usually a better choice.

Old 09-08-2007, 03:46 PM
Troy Bredthauer
Junior User
victor for sure

Old 09-08-2007, 07:06 PM
greenhighboy
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I would get the Dominator flange intake. Then in the future if you upgrade to a dominator you'll already have the intake. I too think it will run better with a single carb setup. Your motor should turn more RPM than it is. I have a 463 with 14.1 comp. stock cast iron SCJ heads and a cast iron SCJ intake and a.724 lift roller cam and turn between 7500-8000 every pass with a 26.1 final ratio.

Old 09-10-2007, 08:25 AM
The Freak
Senior User
I've been thinking that I should be getting a little more RPM's out of it also. My final ratio is 27:1. Another guy that I pull with has a similar setup with a Victor and is getting more RPM's than I am also. My carburetor is a 1090 King Demon so it already has the 4500 flange. The intake has a single four top plate with an adapter/spacer to go from 4150 to 4500. Some people told me that the 2" adapter/spacer on the Victor would help performance, but I wasn't sure?? This is the first year out on the engine so we're still kind of dialing some stuff in. After the head/intake upgrade, I plan on putting it on the dyno so we can learn a little more about it. It would also give me an idea on what RPM range I am making the most power.

Old 09-10-2007, 09:38 AM
greenhighboy
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You should get the 4500 victor for sure. If you want to add a 2" spacer try a Super Sucker. It starts with four holes and tapers out to open at the bottom. I put one on my motor this summer and it made a BIG difference as I hoped it would on my short intake.

Old 09-10-2007, 10:39 AM
monsterbaby
Hotshot

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I also run a super sucker on mine, and when I added it I had to drop 4 jet sizes on the carb to get the mixture right again (they drastically improve teh signal the carb recieves) and it really made a difference in my engine across the board.