Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Diesel > 1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel SPONSORED BY:

Welcome to Ford-Trucks Forums!
Welcome to Ford-Trucks.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Ford-Trucks Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 09-06-2007, 01:45 PM
Elder User

mustang_gt_350 is starting off with a positive reputation.
injectors split vs single shot.

Just wanting to know the benefits of both? What is good for what application? I got my truck use a few months ago and it has 235k miles on them. And i'm sure they are original with nothing done to them ever. So i was thinking of rebuilding them with one of the DIY kits and maybe just doing the nozzle upgrade or converting them to single shot 180's but not sure and would like some info on split vs single.

www.DIY-injectors.com

Idm info (updated 3/17/08)
http://www.shol.com/shadow_tech/idmmod
Old 09-06-2007, 01:56 PM
Posting Guru

driximus is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.driximus is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
The Single Shot will require less High Pressure oil and will be a better choice if you have a stock HPOP.
Old 09-06-2007, 02:08 PM
Posting Guru

driximus is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.driximus is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
almost forgot you will need custom tuning for the single shots.
Old 09-06-2007, 02:21 PM
Post Fiend

PowerstrokeJunkie is a splendid one to beholdPowerstrokeJunkie is a splendid one to beholdPowerstrokeJunkie is a splendid one to beholdPowerstrokeJunkie is a splendid one to beholdPowerstrokeJunkie is a splendid one to beholdPowerstrokeJunkie is a splendid one to beholdPowerstrokeJunkie is a splendid one to beholdPowerstrokeJunkie is a splendid one to behold
A single shot injector has a louder idle, it will sound exactly like the 94-97 powerstrokes, if you ever heard one idle up close. Some people like it, but some like it quiet. They do use less oil volume than a comparable single shot, about 20-30% less oil i've heard. The reason for that, on a split shot injector, there is a port in the side of the intensifier piston barrel where the oil pressure is exhausted out of the side of the barrel, to pause the fuel injection very briefly ("split" shot), and then once the plunger strokes far enough, the port is closed and then fuel injection begins again. So during this pause in fuel injection, oil is being used however no fuel is being injected. Single shot injector doesn't have this port and it's just one injection event. They also seem to be cheaper, but you'll NEED a chip to run the engine with single shots. If you have a problem and have to remove the chip, your engine can still run stock with split shots. When i do injectors, they will be single shots.
Old 09-06-2007, 03:09 PM
Senior User

GregN is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
I have been wondering the same thing. Which one is better for mileage?
Old 09-06-2007, 03:27 PM
Postmaster

John311t has a good reputation on FTE.John311t has a good reputation on FTE.
They say singles are better for MPG, but CSI said that they didnt change on bit.

04 GTO<---RIP, you were an awesome car.
Old 09-06-2007, 03:48 PM
Elder User

mustang_gt_350 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Thanks kris. Thats just what i wanted explained to me. I'm still a diesel newb.

Also kris. I thought i would have to have it programmed for them but wasnt sure. So could DP reflash my stock pcm to run a stock tune for the singles and then stack the chip on like normal so that if i had to pull the chip i would be able to run without it then?

www.DIY-injectors.com

Idm info (updated 3/17/08)
http://www.shol.com/shadow_tech/idmmod
Old 09-06-2007, 05:11 PM
Post Fiend

jtharvey is a name known to alljtharvey is a name known to alljtharvey is a name known to alljtharvey is a name known to alljtharvey is a name known to alljtharvey is a name known to all
I don't see why Jody couldn't flash your PCM and then have a chip on there as well. I just put singles on mine, and I'm one of the ones that likes the different sound. I'll be checking MPG this weekend to see if there's a difference.

See My Webshots for pics.
Old 09-06-2007, 05:36 PM
Elder User

Mr. Bob is starting off with a positive reputation.
I want to do single shots around x mas... thinking 160cc with nozzle upgrades.....
2002 F350 XLT 4X4 7.3L Auto, Reg Cab, 3.5" lift, 35" BFG ATs, 6637 Filter, 4" Exhaust with Cool Duals, 215CC Swamps Hybrids, Garrett BB Turbo with 1.15 Exhaust Housing, DP Tuner tunes, Fass fuel pump, DFA regulated return with fuel bowl delete, 6.0L IC, SS HPX, Gauges, 2005 Headlights, Grill and Mirrors.

Next: Rods!!
Old 09-06-2007, 05:36 PM

Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Diesel > 1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel

Tags
9497, diy, explained, f250, flash, ford, hybrid, injectors, pcm, powerstroke, shot, shots, single, split, vs